Nintendo Switch stuff

Will U?

• Total voters
Curious to see if/when we get the Switch 2 in the next 12 months (hearing spring 2024?). TOAK really did feel/seem like a last hurrah of the original switch.

I'm expecting an announcement in early 2024, they won't want to announce it before Christmas in case it affects sales of the current Switch over that period. I could see it having a pretty short window between announcement and release though - the Switch was (I think) announced in October then released in March, maybe this time it'll be late January -> mid May or something?

I wonder if it'll simply be a new, more powerful version of the Switch or something a bit more left field? Nintendo do love to innovate, but I could also see them not wanting to rock the boat and end up with another Wii U on their hands :(

Agreed that it'll be a 2024 announcement and release with a few months in between.

I don't see them rocking the boat given how the Switch has been such a resounding success after the relative failure of the Wii U - they've found a really good slot with it.

Reactions: COB
They’d want a fairly big launch game if it’s a significantly upgraded console, no?

I imagine we’ll be waiting quite some time for another Zelda. Any word on what might be in the pipeline? Odyssey 2?

They’d want a fairly big launch game if it’s a significantly upgraded console, no?

I imagine we’ll be waiting quite some time for another Zelda. Any word on what might be in the pipeline? Odyssey 2?

New Mario
Smash Bros
Pokemon Legends / Remake of X / Y
Mario Kart (tho they're still rolling out the expansion)
Mario Tennis
Animal Crossing (I'm sure they are keen to reduce the release gap back to 4-5 years after the success of New Horizons)

are probably in the wings, albeit not all of them for launch - I assume this one will have backwards compatability, at least for the Switch games.

There were rumours of the Odyssey team working on a Donkey Kong 3D platformer, which could be big enough for a console launch.

• Love
Reactions: VoR
I'd love them to bring back some less-loved franchises for their next console, like F-Zero and Pilotwings.

3D Mario team haven't had anything since Odysee. I'd say that and Retro's Prime 4 as launch games. MK8 to follow soon after and surely Animal Crossing will arrive earlier than New Horizons, with the team alsp being the Splatoon team I'm guessing we would get a "deluxe" version of 3 before the first holiday season too.

I think Nintendo have slowed down quite wonderfully at this point - you don't really notice it, which is a far cry from the Wii and Wii U.

The Wave Race Easter egg in Pikmin 4 hopefully an actual tease - WR64 really is one or the most joyous games I've ever played and Nintendo would surely have much to pour into a new one.

I think there are plenty of GameCube games they could port up with F-Zero being the most obvious to truly test the waters for an actual new one. Kirby Air Ride is another I think they should think about given how Forgotten Land has ended up invigorating the IP. I know the context of ports was very unique with the Wii U, but I can see discerning usage of them being done again (and they are par for the course across all platforms now anyway, but Nintendo do seem more careful and/or deliberate with them).

And just going off topic here, I really did want Rare Replay on Switch. Honestly, I can see myself getting an X just to play that and the Horizon games soon enough.

The Wave Race Easter egg in Pikmin 4 hopefully an actual tease - WR64 really is one or the most joyous games I've ever played and Nintendo would surely have much to pour into a new one.

Yes please - also commission a new SSX while you're at it, folks. :disco:

Finished the Pikmin 4 demo (on "day 9" :D) I'm using my remaining voucher to download the main game just now. In completely unexpected and shocking news: it's so utterly adorable and I loved it. Maybe didn't need dialogue boxes telling me the obvious, but this has been correctly judged as an entry point and the JP sales have been quite excellent so far. I'd love to hear the true story as to the game's development history given that Miyamoto let slip ages ago that it was nearly finished. It does augment the idea that Nintendo are sitting very pretty with what they are peppering their Switch late life cycle release schedule with.

Only 18 in-game days to 100% the first area. I did spend at least 2 of them doing nothing but gather spicy cherries though. Loving it so far.

The days are so short. I haven't lost a single Pikmin, am only on the 2nd locale, but am 100%ering it. The caves are basically what I am trying to do last, but those are good too - loving the sense that it's breathing some of the same creative air as Zelda. I have heard the ice onion is ridiculous to find, requiring shenanigans that I guess youtube will help with. So yeah, longer days would have made it perfect for me, but it's definitely my favourite game of the year so far.

Sadly the Pikmin Day & Night mode doesn't blast the Billie Piper chorus whilst it loads, but it certainly does crank it up a notch. I may need to have a few more upgrades before being able to handle it better, but not half bad. I'm about day 32 or so, have 100%-ed the first 2 zones, so I may collect a few more green goo bits before finally starting the 3rd area (which was opened quite soon into starting the 2nd anyway). Even if I sort of miss switching between the 3 team leads and multi-tasking/leaving groups doing tasks whilst doing something else (in Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 3 "Deluxe"), it definitely is a lovely, comforting game. Perhaps except the time limit ones where I find myself rewinding lots as there are so far no 2nd chances with them.

Oh god is CRISP RAT taking over as the voice for the games as well

• Wow
Reactions: GNL
Strange move unless they plan to radically change the way they voice the Mario family characters considering he does the whole lot including Wario.

Apparently he might not be voicing Super Mario Bros Wonder (some people said the voice sounded different when the trailer came out), so we'll find out soon enough :o

I'm quietly excited about Wonder.

Still really enjoying P4 - I save the caves until last, but have found the one where I'll get the captain, which does at least get rid of the dog (a nice touch though - as was the scary metal thing).

Pikmin 4

"There's no way that's the end"

*credits roll*

Aww. Oh well, I enjoyed it and still have more night excursions to max out the dog. I've heard there is a lot of post-game content, or post-story content rather.

Multiplayer surely has much potential. I hated the split screen in those battles though and never once looked at the other side of the screen.

Onto world 6 of Pikmin 4. I do think the ending after stage 4 was a lazy way to pretend it has all this post-game content, but I'm well chuffed with it and now have the incentive to go back to Pikmin 3 after this (I'll be booting up my Wii U though as I miss that stylus and gamepad combo combat). Playing Captain Olimar's story was fun if just for the music, which veered on Christmassy and did make me wish we had a snow level (and I'm sure P3 does). Would love to know the actual development story for this game though - if it was restarted, that would seem odd as it's mostly a more easily accessible version of what came before, so I do wonder if it was just put on the back burner repeatedly.

I wish this was a remake of the Game Boy Donkey Kong game from 1994 (aka the game this one was a sequel to). I hate the Minis :(

This SaGa game featuring a diva robot, right after that Peach thing - gayest direct ever.

Dave the Diver has been one of the year's big indie hits on PC, so it's nice that it's coming to Switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom