Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

This was ok, it lacked a unifying narrative to really make it intriguing or interesting.

The movie would have been better off omitting Sharon Tate completely and then just showing us Leo talking to her on the buzzer at the end as a tribute to what could have been. Instead she’s shown dancing in every other scene and is used to cram more cameo that mean nothing (oh look the playboy mansion and famous people).

Also really hated the way he used the voiceover in the last 40 minutes just to dump a whole bunch of info and it just shows how weak the movie is.

There were so many shots of dirty feet and a prolonged shot of Margret Quali’s ass that just felt pervy.

Great reviews so far - 85 on Metacritic and 8.5 on imdb. Seeing it a week on Saturday, I'm very excited. Hope it turns around his mediocre run of form post-Basterds.

It has grown on me the more I read about it.

Also before watching the movie, you should familiarize yourselves with the Manson murders (You Must Remember This is the best resource) cause the movie just assumes you know all these people.

I'm a big Tarantino fan, but this one was a huge disappointment. Great acting and a gorgeous recreation of the time, but that's about it for me. The script is extremely poor and therefore the lack of any plot or narrative thrust, just killed it. It genuinely just bored me.

Yeah this was good. A real slow burner until the last 20 minutes which was just nuts.

I wonder how Sharon's family feel about her portrayal and subsequently not being murdered in this timeline.

Saw this, enjoyed very much. Longer review later but it's surprisingly un-Tarantino in many ways - very light on dialogue for him. B+

I wasn't really sure what the point was. I didn't know they were going to change the story for Sharon Tate and I had to check the ending to see if what they did was just end the story before the killings with the knowledge that the five people in her house were about to be murdered. I enjoyed it and the performances were good - Pitt and Dicaprio are always great and I enjoyed Robbie's performance for the very little she did.

Because I thought it was leading up to Tate's murder throughout, I found the humour really off-kilter and weird. Just couldn't find it as funny as it should have been, because I was waiting for a pregnant woman to be brutally murdered throughout.

Now I know what's coming, maybe I'd like it more on a second viewing. Not sure.

Well I don't know why you'd be waiting for a factually correct ending given that the film had mostly fictional characters and Inglourious Basterds merrily put its own spin on history.

I thought it was a really enjoyable film, just very unexpected in the ways it didn't adhere to his usual style - so many scenes without dialogue, almost no pop culture-heavy monologuing, such an emphasis on scene-setting and mood over story. Yes, you had Quentinisms like the feet in there (clearly to toy with his detractors) but on balance it felt like a very different kind of film for him.

The first hour sagged a bit, and I massively preferred Brad Pitt's character and performance to that of Leo, but when it got going (the ranch) I really enjoyed it a lot. The actress who played the hitchhiker girl was brilliant. The final half hour was really great - that girl from the ranch's refusal to die was pretty fucking iconic. Stunning cinematography, I enjoyed being in that world even without much in the way of story. It was just fun, laid-back, high-quality filmmaking.

Topless Brad on the roof was quite nice too, and he's never done much for me before.

Well I don't know why you'd be waiting for a factually correct ending given that the film had mostly fictional characters and Inglourious Basterds merrily put its own spin on history.

I made a point of not reading anything at all before going in and so I had no idea that all of the other characters were completely made up - I assumed they were at least partly based on real people. So all I knew was 'Oh shit... that's Sharon Tate... she gets murdered. Fuck...' and was dreading it for 2 hours!

i like tarantino but i find his stuff hit and miss and this didn't justify its running time. oh at all. it wasn't bad or anything, it was fun, just a tad douchey, smug and overlong.
a generous 7.

Last edited:
I really liked the first two hours (even if they are slightly self-indulgent), but the film jumps off a schlocky cliff in the last 40 minutes and it does not recover.

The film within the film shot AS IF IT WAS THE FILM was deliciously super-meta though.

I honestly didn't see the point of this. The ranch scene, Margot Robbie and Brad Pitt and that bonkers ending were the only highlights. I hated all of the scenes when DiCaprio was shooting his shows and the scenes and dialogue with that child actress (sorry I mean ACTOR) were :side-eye: :rolleyes: X 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom