Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless (new album)

I see Hotspot was midweek number one but fell to number three behind J Hud and Eminem in his second week. It looks like Taylor Swift is releasing the week before so it probably isn't on the cards this time either.

Yes you would think that in a time when Shed Seven manage a number one album the Pets can. I assume they must have got rough weeks previously, or not played the formatting game well enough.

There's a fair few editions this time.

To be fair, they've only ever had one number one album- Very. Something I was aware of but to be honest, I had forgotten until I looked it up last week. Amazing really, when you think about the albums they sold and how popular those first three 80s albums were.

There's a fair few editions this time.

To be fair, they've only ever had one number one album- Very. Something I was aware of but to be honest, I had forgotten until I looked it up last week. Amazing really, when you think about the albums they sold and how popular those first three 80s albums were.
Strange to think that Erasure managed to bag 5 of them, even though PSB always felt much bigger to me - perhaps because I was more focused on the single chart, and PSB had more success at the summit there.

Erasure never had a proper big selling album either, did they? I mean, without checking, I’m guessing at least the first three PSB albums sold a million.

Erasure never had a proper big selling album either, did they? I mean, without checking, I’m guessing at least the first three PSB albums sold a million.
According to Wikipedia

PSB

Please - Platinum
Disco - Platinum
Actually - 3x Platinum
Introspective - 2x Platinum
Behaviour - Platinum
(Discography - 2x Platinum)
Very - Platinum

Erasure

Wonderland - no certification
Circus - Platinum
The Innocents - 2x Platinum
Wild! - 2x Platinum
Chorus - Platinum
(Pop! The First 20 Hits) - 3x Platinum

Thereafter it all goes a bit south for both of them and neither act gets a platinum certification again, except for their compilations in 2003, both of which went single platinum.

I think Introspective is under certified- I read somewhere it’s their biggest album in the UK.

Amazed Bilingual isn’t platinum but other than that I guess it’s about right.

I think Introspective is under certified- I read somewhere it’s their biggest album in the UK.
It certainly doesn't appear to have been recertified for 35 years! But then neither has The Innocents, which I thought may be triple platinum.

In a weird twist, whilst being a proper PSB fan and thinking Erasure were alright at the time but nothing more, I appear to own all Erasure’s albums on vinyl up to Chorus, but only the first three PSB ones. Might have to rectify that.

That’s more about them appearing in charity shops than anything else, though.

Chorus can’t only have sold platinum either- it was around FOREVER!

Both Introspective and The Innocents were still on the chart when they were last certified and had decent chart runs left in them.

Introspective was #12 and had 28 weeks left on it.

The Innocents was #6 and had 37 weeks more in the chart after it was last certified

It didn't do THAT well - 25 weeks in the chart all told (compared to 48 for Wild! before it, and 78 for The Innocents) and only 3 in the top ten.

The Innocents was 21st, one place behind Belinda’s Heaven On Earth in the 1988 UK albums chart and then 42nd in 1989.

Heaven on Earth is triple platinum and a million seller and doesn’t appear in the 1989 list so it must have sales in excess of that.

It didn't do THAT well - 25 weeks in the chart all told (compared to 48 for Wild! before it, and 78 for The Innocents) and only 3 in the top ten.

Maybe I’m thinking of the singles. They had two big hits from it…

It certainly doesn't appear to have been recertified for 35 years! But then neither has The Innocents, which I thought may be triple platinum.
Unfortunately, it was released in 1988, so a few years before the OCC took over. Otherwise it would've gotten an automatic certification with the 2013 update.

The Innocents was 21st, one place behind Belinda’s Heaven On Earth in the 1988 UK albums chart and then 42nd in 1989.

Heaven on Earth is triple platinum and a million seller and doesn’t appear in the 1989 list so it must have sales in excess of that.
According to bestsellingalbums.org (who do seem to use the official year end charts, but I assume estimates for sales as figures are in multiples of 10k), The Innocents sold 530k in 1988 and 350k in 1989 which would give it 880k to the end of 1989, which may seem reasonable, if it was certified for 600k in February while still in the top ten.

Introspective was on 500k in 1988, and then not in the top 100 for 1989, so less than 180k which the #100 had.

Maybe I’m thinking of the singles. They had two big hits from it…
Actually it probably didn't help that they had moved on to Abba-Esque so quickly after Breath Of Life hit the top ten. Although by that point they had already pulled four singles from it, so I'm not sure it would have had much life left in it.

Three big singles! I forgot Breath of Life went top ten. I was thinking it had finished with Am I Right?

I think also it's my favourite Erasure album.

Three big singles! I forgot Breath of Life went top ten. I was thinking it had finished with Am I Right?

I think also it's my favourite Erasure album.
I'm not entirely sure of mine. I could make a case for The Innocents and Wild! as well, but Chorus definitely feels like their most consistent and satisfying album.

Actually, had it not been for Abba-Esque, they could have gone five singles deep with Waiting For The Day or Perfect Stranger.

Sense of time is a very decent b-side too. However not so sure about If Jesus had a sister, and it has some not so pleasant moments vocally.

Part one of an interesting interview with Neil talking about the music press and his journalism days:

"I'd love a decaf black coffee... I've just done Rylan."

Marc Bolan - FAT, DOWN THE DUMPER (but sweet).

Still some amusing anecdotes but unfortunately the second part of the interview got a bit old man with "These days..." this and that. I don't think the company helped.

The Imagine special is on this Tuesday night on BBC1.

Moopy does not seem terribly interested.

I think it is very good overall and more uptempo than I expected. It kind of feels like the Pet Shop Boys play songs inspired by the songs of the Pet Shop Boys but it is none the worse for it.

New London boy obviously has the West End Girls rap, but the rest of it is a bit reminiscent of Requiem in Denim and Leopardskin.

I listened to this at work and quite enjoyed it. The lady in the office next door shouted “Are you listening to West End Girls” :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom