Pop Music Activism

Would have to go through the Universal people and tbh I’ve got a load of requests already still to ask them!

Even I was taken aback by the popularity on this one. Nicola has tweeted and we're onto 670 likes!

“I had started a conversation but you beat me to it” Fuck sake Nic just say thanks

“I had started a conversation but you beat me to it” Fuck sake Nic just say thanks
Hahaha I did find that a bit odd. A “conversation”?! And beat her to it with what? I deffo beat her to it by asking her labels to make available WW!

not sure The Queen does streaming so don’t think an OBE will be coming.

They added Nadine's solo album, Insatiable, in America (not sure if it was previously available in UK etc)

Hiya @aquaplex

Is there anyway you could put a word in and get Ellie Campbell on to spotify?

You can tell the record company I will play So Many Ways all day every day to make it worth there while x

Hiya @aquaplex

Is there anyway you could put a word in and get Ellie Campbell on to spotify?

You can tell the record company I will play So Many Ways all day every day to make it worth there while x
It’s on my list but it’s a struggle with the label. I asked them about two singles in June 2019. March I finally heard one of them was ready to go bar checking the old paper contract. Then lockdown happened and it’s still yet to be released Cos no one is in the office to find the contracts. And there’s a ton of other stuff to ask that label too

Reactions: SDF
Please can you try to get Sharon Benson - I’ll Always Believe In You on to Spotify please.

And also Better Believe It by Sid Owen and Patsy Palmer please.

It’s on my list but it’s a struggle with the label. I asked them about two singles in June 2019. March I finally heard one of them was ready to go bar checking the old paper contract. Then lockdown happened and it’s still yet to be released Cos no one is in the office to find the contracts. And there’s a ton of other stuff to ask that label too
I don't suppose you could find out why the Dykeenies album Nothing Means Everything was taken off Spotify (bar one song)?

OMG could someone start this movement for all the random R&B and dance artists from the late 80s to the early 90s that the musical industry has decide to EXPUNGE from history?

I used to listen to this album all the time - it is very DECENT

my favourite it That’s the Way It Is

BLACK HAIRED Madasun looked SO MUCH like Tina Barrett. I wonder if they were related in some way.

What a strange career they had. A pretty decent start with the first 2 singles, a boring third single then GONE!
I'd have thought the reasonable success of Don't You Worry could have bought them one more roll of the dice. Feel Good was NEVER going to do anything anyway!

Last edited:
I think We Can Be "Wann" (Shabaz Remix) is the only track I liked of the album tracks, but I've been having a huge TTF kick recently so I must have secret powers (or ability to threaten aquaplexia very effectively, one of the two anyway).

I just had a blast of Mary Kiani's opus while I tidied the flat.

What a heady mix of songs Taylor Dayne could have released in 1988 and songs Taylor Dayne is probably still releasing today. :D

You are a true 2020 HERO, @aquaplex

I'm really quite enjoying that Mary Kiani album. The bagpipe solo in I Give It All To You is a real curveball. :D

You are a true 2020 HERO, @aquaplex

I'm really quite enjoying that Mary Kiani album. The bagpipe solo in I Give It All To You is a real curveball. :D
There was an unreleased version with a piano replacing the bagpipes (might actually prefer this)

Apologies Moopy I have been rubbish in reporting successes but recent ones include:

• Band Ohne Namen's bare butts (aka the English version of the album inc the song Boys)
  • Natalie Bassingthwifshdbvhkbvjkbwvekbvkjbvbjkaighte's singles being made available worldwide
  • Alexia's ode to prostitution Money Honey (and other singles and missing albums)
  • Warren G and Sissel's Rap meets Opera collab Prince Igor
  • The Madison Avenue singles with remixes (sadly no glass of water)
  • Radio Edit to Boris (not that one) and Roisin Murphy's Never Enough
  • Will Young's Echoes album finally being made available in the US/ Australia
  • Lisa Scott-Lee's B List At Capital triumph Get It On
  • Brother Brown's Under The Water
  • Berri's second single (if you don't count a Sunshine After The Rain reissue as the second one) Shine Like A Star
  • The Eurovision version of Alsou's Solo
  • Vanessa Amorosi's Amazing from her canned fifth album
  • Gloria Estefan's 2011 version of Let's Get Loud (sorry J Lo)
  • Layo & Bushwacka's Finally Vs Love Story
  • Shanice's album and greatest hits
  • Kira' (not off of Star Trek: DS9)'s I'll Be Your Angel

Delighted to see Mary on there now though of course I’ve always had the double disc cd. I Knew should have been the 17th single off the album.

This is my favourite thread to see bumped.

I have Mary's double disc too (surprise). I should dust it off for the car.

There was an unreleased version with a piano replacing the bagpipes (might actually prefer this)

Apologies Moopy I have been rubbish in reporting successes but recent ones include:

• Band Ohne Namen's bare butts (aka the English version of the album inc the song Boys)
  • Natalie Bassingthwifshdbvhkbvjkbwvekbvkjbvbjkaighte's singles being made available worldwide
  • Alexia's ode to prostitution Money Honey (and other singles and missing albums)
  • Warren G and Sissel's Rap meets Opera collab Prince Igor
  • The Madison Avenue singles with remixes (sadly no glass of water)
  • Radio Edit to Boris (not that one) and Roisin Murphy's Never Enough
  • Will Young's Echoes album finally being made available in the US/ Australia
  • Lisa Scott-Lee's B List At Capital triumph Get It On
  • Brother Brown's Under The Water
  • Berri's second single (if you don't count a Sunshine After The Rain reissue as the second one) Shine Like A Star
  • The Eurovision version of Alsou's Solo
  • Vanessa Amorosi's Amazing from her canned fifth album
  • Gloria Estefan's 2011 version of Let's Get Loud (sorry J Lo)
  • Layo & Bushwacka's Finally Vs Love Story
  • Shanice's album and greatest hits
  • Kira' (not off of Star Trek: DS9)'s I'll Be Your Angel

too many OMGs here, you’re doing the lord’s work Aqua!
Especially those deep cuts like Prince Igor, Under the Water and Layo & Bushwacka!

I've only just discovered this marvellous thread

I'm increasingly frustrated after pretty much fully moving over to streaming that so many classic songs are missing - the main culprits seem to be low charting singles from the early 90s and a LOT of dance music from the late 90s / early 00s.

My current frustration is discovering that this, the original version, is not on any streaming service. All the shitty hen party remixes are up there, sounding like some soundtrack to Made In Chelsea or TOWIE, but why the original soulful version isn't available is beyond me. I think Hed Kandi maybe still own the rights, but they were bought out by MoS so I don't see the issue (I'm sure there is one)

I've only just discovered this marvellous thread

I'm increasingly frustrated after pretty much fully moving over to streaming that so many classic songs are missing - the main culprits seem to be low charting singles from the early 90s and a LOT of dance music from the late 90s / early 00s.

My current frustration is discovering that this, the original version, is not on any streaming service. All the shitty hen party remixes are up there, sounding like some soundtrack to Made In Chelsea or TOWIE, but why the original soulful version isn't available is beyond me. I think Hed Kandi maybe still own the rights, but they were bought out by MoS so I don't see the issue (I'm sure there is one)

The thing with late 90s/ early 00s dance music is that the majority of the time the labels like Positiva, Multiply, Manifesto etc never owned the tracks - they just licenced them for the UK/ other markets and here we are 20 years later and licence is up and reverted to the original label which could just be the small label of the producer/ DJ who left the music industry years ago or got so coked up back then they have lost the masters and any desire to get online. Obvs not always the way as I have got some to put stuff online.

MoS was bought by Sony Music a few years back. They haven't even got the Angel City stuff online, let alone ought else!

The thing with late 90s/ early 00s dance music is that the majority of the time the labels like Positiva, Multiply, Manifesto etc never owned the tracks - they just licenced them for the UK/ other markets and here we are 20 years later and licence is up and reverted to the original label which could just be the small label of the producer/ DJ who left the music industry years ago or got so coked up back then they have lost the masters and any desire to get online. Obvs not always the way as I have got some to put stuff online.

MoS was bought by Sony Music a few years back. They haven't even got the Angel City stuff online, let alone ought else!

Good points. Unfortunately for me I was listening to a lot of underground house music at the time, particularly deep house which was big in the clubs, and hardly any of it is on streaming. Some really really good stuff missing. It seems to be the same for US dance as well, I was listening to a lot of Miguel Migs / Naked Music then and there was so much of it, but none of the early stuff is on there bar some full artist album releases

I'm glad I kept some of my favourite compilation CDs because nobody could have realised or predicted that they would have a shelf life. Most compilation albums didn't transition to streaming and some of them were really good, and it was the only way to access some of the club music that was only ever on vinyl and never became standalone CD singles...

@aquaplex curious if you have any thoughts on these? I have a huge list of dance tracks from 1999-2002 that aren't on streaming, a lot of them to be fair are obscure or unofficial but I've pulled out a few tracks that either charted or were pretty big at the time for one reason or another. Do you think there's ever any chance we'll see them again?

The first one in particular by Masters At Work is a shocker. It's been remixed so many times, it's one of the original dance anthems of the 90s (the charted remix was from 1999) and there isn't a single version online.

Masters At Work - To Be In Love
Space Brothers - Show Me Love (Matt Darey mix)
Kelis - Young Fresh n New (Timo Maas mix)
Pour Homme - Born This Way
Gamba Freaks - Down Down Down
Liquid - Orlando Dawn
Lisa Shaw - Always (Soultronic vocal)
Sono - Keep Control
Depeche Mode - I Feel Loved (Danny Tenaglia mix)
Weekend Players - 21st Century

Also - only one album by Kosheen is on streaming, but not their debut album, which includes "Hide U", which was obviously massive. Must be some legal/licensing issue for that not to be available?

That's what I mean there must be some issue.

I just had a check and the NuYorican Soul album is on there, which was from the same people as Masters At Work, but To Be In Love was not on that album. It did have, as far as I remember, successful vinyl releases in 1995 and 1997, and a CD/Cassette/Vinyl release in 1999, by the Defected label which is still in operation, led by the Full Intention remix, which actually hit the charts at #23.

@aquaplex curious if you have any thoughts on these? I have a huge list of dance tracks from 1999-2002 that aren't on streaming, a lot of them to be fair are obscure or unofficial but I've pulled out a few tracks that either charted or were pretty big at the time for one reason or another. Do you think there's ever any chance we'll see them again?

The first one in particular by Masters At Work is a shocker. It's been remixed so many times, it's one of the original dance anthems of the 90s (the charted remix was from 1999) and there isn't a single version online.

Masters At Work - To Be In Love
Space Brothers - Show Me Love (Matt Darey mix)
Kelis - Young Fresh n New (Timo Maas mix)
Pour Homme - Born This Way
Gamba Freaks - Down Down Down
Liquid - Orlando Dawn
Lisa Shaw - Always (Soultronic vocal)
Sono - Keep Control
Depeche Mode - I Feel Loved (Danny Tenaglia mix)
Weekend Players - 21st Century

Also - only one album by Kosheen is on streaming, but not their debut album, which includes "Hide U", which was obviously massive. Must be some legal/licensing issue for that not to be available?
As mentioned in one of my posts above, dance tracks were often licenced to labels and 20 years later, the licence is up (hence the Defected release of To Be In Love going down)

Kosheen again I think Sony’s licence is up. I emailed the original rightsholders but were snappily told “there has been a lockdown if you didn’t realise”.

you will be pleased to know the Xtravaganza backcat and hopefully Orlando Dawn by Liquid is coming very soon!

And for anyone wanting Delta Goodrem bops, got this one online (and they looked into her other b sides etc)

Reactions: SDF
I’m surprised Delta hasn’t tweeted about that, although maybe it was already on Australian Spotify?

As mentioned in one of my posts above, dance tracks were often licenced to labels and 20 years later, the licence is up (hence the Defected release of To Be In Love going down)

Kosheen again I think Sony’s licence is up. I emailed the original rightsholders but were snappily told “there has been a lockdown if you didn’t realise”.

you will be pleased to know the Xtravaganza backcat and hopefully Orlando Dawn by Liquid is coming very soon!

OMG @ Extravaganza. That’s a lot of 90s and early 00s commercial trance tracks right there. @Ag will also be happy about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom