Post a great run of Eurovision entries from a single country

VoR

Take it or leave it
Inspired by the Cyprus revival chat, if we decide not to treat 2020 as canon, Fuego > Replay > El Diablo is quite the triple whammy of hot trash. :disco:

Rhythm Inside > What's The Pressure > City Lights was a great little run for Belgium too, albiet with WTP being a decidedly lesser beast than the other two.

Sadly, all of Sweden's golden moments seem to be punctuated by basic straight choices.

If justice had been done and Håll om mig had beaten Las Vegas for a Lena > Nanne > Carola run of entries, that would have been the end of this discussion.

Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit > Love Shine A Light > Where Are You should’ve been a winning trio!

(and probably WOULD have been, had televoting been introduced a couple of years earlier and Dana had won the National final on her first try).

Sorry to be obvious but of course:

Gina G - Katrina- Imaani

The very thought of the UK having a "run" now!

Absolutely this.

To be honest you could kind of add Precious and Nicki to that in a “hindsight” kind of way.

Absolutely this.

To be honest you could kind of add Precious and Nicki to that in a “hindsight” kind of way.

Like fuck am I adding Nicki fucking French to that trio of godliness :D

I still think that remains one of THE worst entries we've sent!

To be fair to Pingu, I do think Don't Play That Song Again would be a bit more beloved if it had come 5th in a Melfest heat instead of ushering in the inexorable decline of the United Kingdom at Eurovision. It's basically a (b-grade) schlager number.

I know the first is not for everyone and was a flop but I thought that the France 2000-2002 run was quite lovely, the latter two being THE STANDARD for French ESC ballads.

On aura le ciel -> Je n'ai que mon âme -> Il faut du temps

As me and a friend agreed on, that 1996-1998 stretch was amazing for thr UK.

It would've been extended into another year for me had Deuce gone in 1995 (though he preferred Dear John).

To be fair to Pingu, I do think Don't Play That Song Again would be a bit more beloved if it had come 5th in a Melfest heat instead of ushering in the inexorable decline of the United Kingdom at Eurovision. It's basically a (b-grade) schlager number.

I think it is mainly because it signalled the start of our downturn, not that it's her fault or anything. But how do you go from such a great, actually current-ish run of entries to sending someone's nan with a 40 a day habit wearing some ghastly lilac get-up, all with that silly old song and its awkward chorus? It's shocking

I suppose they thought they were sending something Steps-esque and, well...

But, yes, I appreciate in hindsight there might be *some* charm there, which is more than can be said for 80% of entries that followed. I still think it's atrocious though :D

I think it is mainly because it signalled the start of our downturn, not that it's her fault or anything. But how do you go from such a great, actually current-ish run of entries to sending someone's nan with a 40 a day habit wearing some ghastly lilac get-up, all with that silly old song and its awkward chorus? It's shocking

I suppose they thought they were sending something Steps-esque and, well...

But, yes, I appreciate in hindsight there might be *some* charm there, which is more than can be said for 80% of entries that followed. I still think it's atrocious though :D

The presentation is pretty atrocious. That's a HARD 36, and dressing her up as a sad Princess Jasmine didn't exactly help matters.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Monts et merveilles. I thought it was in 2004 for some reason. :D

Besides her feeding on her hair, lovely ballad indeed that deserved more.

Reactions: VoR
I would leave out 2000 and add 2003. And that would probably be my favourite of the 3.

Honestly I don't think Sweden has ever managed three years in a row.

I personally thought Sweden 1994-1996 was a good run in it's own right.

Sure, Roger and Marie could've done a better job with the presentation live but it was a nice enough trilogy of ballads, and where they walked, the latter two ran triumphantly.

Germany 77-79 had Telegram, Feuer and Dschinghis Khan. That's fairly hard to beat.

Fully aware I will be dragged but I don’t care

Azerbaijan 2011-2013
Running scared - I mean it won, I only really warmed to it in hindsight though)
When the music dies - A real charismatic host entry, I still stan the perf of this
Hold me - High gay drama

Since this thread kicked off with hot trash, I don’t mind putting forward:

Estonia 2012-2014
Kuula - simple but devastating (and he has a big nob)
Birgit - sentimental but still really joyous and does it for me
Tanja - Ok hardly a classic for the ages but there are worse songs than Euphoria to sound like, especially with that choreo

Iceland's 2008-2010 run of This Is My Life > Is It True > je ne sais quoi really is as close as I can find to a gay interest Eurovision ROYAL FLUSH
I raise you Romania 2003-2006 - Don't Break My Heart - I Admit - Let Me Try - Tornero :disco:

Reactions: VoR

Estonia 2012-2014
Tanja - Ok hardly a classic for the ages but there are worse songs than Euphoria to sound like, especially with that choreo
Are you kidding me? You may as well use a random country/year generator!

Estonia 2012-2014
This thread is NOT about countries that managed three 6.5+/10 entries in a row :oi:

Reactions: D5K
Imo Azerbaijan have been breathtaking since 2015, but even if you wanted to be a pocket bottom exclusionary radical Euroqueen and exclude Hour of the Wolf, Miracle - Skeletons - X My Heart - Truth (plus Cleopatra for listeners who are not easily offended) is a HELL of a statement run

It isn’t?
I thought having Whats the Pressure and Diablo set the tone for THAT

Jesus fucking Christabelle Borg

Imo Azerbaijan have been breathtaking since 2015, but even if you wanted to be a pocket bottom exclusionary radical Euroqueen and exclude Hour of the Wolf, Miracle - Skeletons - X My Heart - Truth (plus Cleopatra for listeners who are not easily offended) is a HELL of a statement run

you know, I was going to post X My heart-Truth-Cleopatra but I didn’t want the ABUSE

Ukraine really unbelievably strong when they want to be so i’m going to suggest 2007: Verka > 2008: Ani > 2009: Svetlana

Also Armenia 2008 - 2010: Sirusho > Inga & Anush > Eva Rivas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom