Post your CONTROVERSIAL and BONKERS predictions for 2024

Why do Moopy assume that? I haven’t heard the song, but I really can’t imagine the general public to be supportive in the way they have been for Ukraine. If anything surely the opposite is much more likely?
The general public doesn’t need to be. Only a relatively small but determined percentage of it needs to vote for it to make a real impact on the scores.

Pro-Israel viewers will vote for it. Others will have 25 other songs to split their votes between.

Why do Moopy assume that? I haven’t heard the song, but I really can’t imagine the general public to be supportive in the way they have been for Ukraine. If anything surely the opposite is much more likely?

This was my initial thought too, but I've readied myself for a potential big vote now...

My thought was that, even if, for whatever reason, people had a compulsion to pick up the phone and vote (being pro-Israel in regards to a song contest, while still an incentive for some, seems a lot less of a reason to vote than sympathy for an under attack Ukraine), that hopefully any such votes would be countered by people who might have voted for Israel under normal circumstances and now won't, e.g they like the song but refuse to vote because it's Israel, or would've voted for them patriotically perhaps until recent events.

Of course you can't "counter" any votes, but I'm hoping those put off will balance out any voting deliberately as a show of support. That still might mean it features in the lower end of many countries' scores though which could amount to a decent result overall, but I'm hoping it's not too substantial.

Then there's wondering if the juries will bury it or not, and the fact despite being quite dull, it's a rare ballad that has the potential to do well regardless of Israel itself.

It's the one case of unpredictable excitement no one wants this year. Everything would be easier if they just disappeared in the semis.

I think simply on the basis that there is no negative vote and with sentiment very much split, there will be a sufficient number of people in each country motivated to vote for Israel that it will pick up points from many countries. Very hard to say though.

I do think Georgia might come top 10

...but only if she stops with that silly jumping up and down bit where she urges everyone to "put your hands up" in what feels like the climax of the song and she literally stops singing! It goes from a class pop performance to cocktail jugs at Wetherspoons in three seconds. Please not on the night Nutsy Lad :gross:

Simply because you can't vote in negative, and even when a mayority won't dare to vote for Israel no matter how good the song is (it isn't), I believe all the controversy is going to make people supporting them to vote en masse for Israel. There are lots of people still seeing them as the victims, something I can't understand, but whatever. I hope to be totally wrong and they don't qualify, I don't want Israel in the final, and that poor girl doesn't need another massive booing on Saturday. Sorry but I don't agree with any artist being booed, staying in silence is enough to show your rejection.

I didn't even consider it and thought it was insane when a friend told me, but now I think it's possible: they will play a rehearsal performance instead of Israel performing live to avoid the booing, they can always argue security reasons.

She will be booed and I don’t get the impression she will be remotely phased by it.

Simply because you can't vote in negative, and even when a mayority won't dare to vote for Israel no matter how good the song is (it isn't), I believe all the controversy is going to make people supporting them to vote en masse for Israel. There are lots of people still seeing them as the victims, something I can't understand, but whatever. I hope to be totally wrong and they don't qualify, I don't want Israel in the final, and that poor girl doesn't need another massive booing on Saturday. Sorry but I don't agree with any artist being booed, staying in silence is enough to show your rejection.
Although really, it isn't for the reason you say right at the beginning of your post - it isn't possible to vote in negative and quite a lot of people attending are going to be presumed to be supporting Israel by even engaging with the contest this year (and forevermore unless they withdraw/are booted) in the first place.

With the stage in the middle of the audience, I assume the risk of a stage invasion/protest is quite high this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom