QUEEN OF DISCO Donna Summer Artist Playlist Sync Listen 17/04/21 @ 8pm

Frozen

I Play The Streetlife
Donna Summer Disco GIF

Get your disco balls ready for Saturday 17th April @ 8pm as I take you through the hits and more of the one and only Queen Of Disco Donna Summer

@Ag @Suedey @Sheena @funky @Ellie @Iguana @Tisch @Alla @Beryl @Jark @VoR @Suomi and anyone else who might be interested in joining...

Can a mod add this to the schedule please?

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Can we have some deep cuts please? Particularly from the early 80s. I discovered some of her later work recently when I went off on a massive 80s R&B dive and found some great singles... There Goes My Baby in particular is magnificent... not sure how THAT passed me by for so long

Cats Without Claws in particular has some good stuff. But I don't know her beyond the singles.

Yes of course, it'll be a mix of some of the biggies and album tracks/deep cuts.

I basically know the singles but she had so much over almost 40 years until the dust.

I can't make that date! I'm sad but I'll totally catch up!

I'll try to make it but I have a feeling I won't, I'm terrible with sync listens and get easily distracted or just forget. I missed the Billie Ray Martin which I would have loved.

Spotify playlist now in the first post. Hit play at 8 o'clock.

GO!

1. I Feel Love
We're kicking things off with a behemoth of a track and one of the most influential records ever made. Donna's only #1 in the US and a Top 10 hit in the US, it's been re-released numerous times since 1977 with remixes from Patrick Cowley, Masters At Work and Rollo & Sister Bliss

2. Love To Love You Baby
The first big hit from Donna, the single edit here is cut down from the 16 minute version which takes up the entire first side of the album of the same name.

3. Could It Be Magic
The follow-up single to "Love To Love You Baby" was always going to be a hard act to follow and Donna went with a cover of the Barry Manilow song released only seven months previously. It was a minor hit but remains one of the standout tracks on her third album "A Love Trilogy". For further listening on this album I'd recommend the 17 minute epic "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It".

'I Feel Love' is one of the best pieces of music ever tbh.

Im here, for the first hour or so at least.

I know that I Feel Love is a classic and all but I just don't love it as much as some of her other music.

Now Could It Be Magic I really love. The way she repeats "I want you to come..." at the beginning is amazing. So much better than Barry Manilow's version

4 - 9 Once Upon A Time/Faster And Faster To Nowhere/Now I Need You/Workin' The Midnight Shift/Dance Into My Life/I Love You
DonnaSummer-OnceUponATime-Front.jpg

Some choice cuts from album #6, Donna's first double album "Once Upon A Time". As per Wikipedia, the concept album is a modern-day Cinderella story told through disco music. There was no massive hits on the album with "I Love You" just making the UK Top 10. I'd suggest listening to the album in full but these are some of the highlights.

Working the Midnight Shift is one I know (and love) already. Probably from here.

"I'm just a working girl
Just earning a living
When the city's waking up
I'm going home"

Precursor to "Bad Girls" :disco:

Last Dance might be the basic Donna Summer choice but its just so JOYOUS

10 & 11 Last Dance/With Your Love
Thank_God_It%27s_Friday_%28poster%29.jpg

Two tracks from the soundtrack to "Thank God It's Friday", the former is a signature Donna song that won an Oscar in 1978. Inexplicably it only made a lowly #51 in the UK charts but was a Top 3 smash in the US.

Weird that it only made 51 in the UK. I think its her song I hear the most in public

12 & 13 MacArthur Park/Heaven Knows

220px-Live_And_More.jpg

Best experienced as part of the 17 minute "MacArthur Park Suite" featured on Side D of Donna's second album "Live & More" or on the deluxe edition of "Bad Girls", these are two of Donna's biggest hits. The former was her first of 4 US #1's and a Top 5 UK hit while the latter got to #4 in the US. The album also hit #1 in the US becoming her first of three in a row to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom