RAYE - Escapism. + My 21st Century Blues

Yes! Is anybody going to see her?

I've got my fingers crossed. Euphoric Sad Songs is just my kind of miserable pop (the title couldn't be more appropriate), so I hope the new album will be more of the same.

I doubt it will! I don't think she'll return to dance pop any time soon.

There's definitely a more raw vibe to the new stuff but I love it as much as ESS. Fuming I didn't get tickets for her Roundouse gig, as when I saw her in 2021 at Shepherd's Bush Apollo she was phenomenol hopefully there will be more London dates this year.

if this makes number 1 on Friday, I'd be hard pushed to find a more deserved artist in recent pop history.

So well deserved - she got there in the end!

I hope she gets another week at #1 but Lewis Capaldi is doing tons of promotion for Pointless :evil:

Promotion has minimal impact in a streaming based chart though.

It really is going to be a battle of sales vs streaming. Capaldi is #1, #2, #3 and #69 on iTunes and she is #6.

On Friday she was #1 and him #46 on Spotify, with over triple his streams.

You need BIG sales to overcome streaming these days. And she won't hit ACR for a few weeks at least yet.

He has got physicals out and he’s flogging them for 99p. But he will need to sell about 30k to come close to competing for the #1 which is unlikely. Really seems a bit desperate of him given the song is clearly not connecting like some of his others had, so all this effort to artificially (really) boost it for a week does seem a bit below him.

I wonder why they chose to release it when they did? It entered the chart the week Mariah went to #1. Obviously it's had a good rebound to a new peak (#15) this week, but so has most of the chart.

I was thinking the album was out in February so they were creating hype for that, but it isn't out until May.

Man it only took 3 months but I suddenly got how fucking perfect this song is. I saw her live playing to about 80 people at a festival up in Leeds this summer and she was great.

Last edited:
She’s going to need much bigger venues for her tour very soon! Ice Cream Man is a huge song.

I listened to this album last night... was a bit disappointed tbh. I think I need to give it another go though.

wasn't in the mood for it this morning but listened this eve and it's pretty great. Environmental Anxiety is a fucking tune (surprisingly), and Five Star Hotels is hot too. not totally into Ice Cream Man yet though, lyrically it's a bit ON THE NOSE.

wasn't in the mood for it this morning but listened this eve and it's pretty great. Environmental Anxiety is a fucking tune (surprisingly), and Five Star Hotels is hot too. not totally into Ice Cream Man yet though, lyrically it's a bit ON THE NOSE.

I haven't played the album yet but I felt similarly when I heard Ice Cream Man on the NMF playlist. My reaction was a bit 'oh that's the song they are pushing'...

Yeah I agree. The lyrics are a bit too blunt - I'd prefer it to be a bit more subtle.

I think I just hoped the album would be a bit more... urban? sounding. I don't know quite what I mean by that except that probably Escapism is the best produced track on there and I thought there might be more of that vibe.

The album is great, it sounds so fresh and like uniquely her but is also giving me Winehouse and Adele at the same time.

I could do without the monologues but after all she’s been through for it I’m not mad

Well, this is definitely an album and I'm happy for her to finally get it out there.🌹🌷🌸

I really wasn't sold on the album after one listen but with a few more plays there is a lot to like here.

Black Mascara is still a lost hit, but maybe Flip a Switch of the new material has chart potential.

Worth It feels a bit of an outlier but it grooves so sweetly.

I really wasn't sold on the album after one listen but with a few more plays there is a lot to like here.

Black Mascara is still a lost hit, but maybe Flip a Switch of the new material has chart potential.

Worth It feels a bit of an outlier but it grooves so sweetly.

These are the tracks for me too.

Ice Cream Man has really grown on me. self directed video:

Gosh. That’s a very moving video. Her vulnerability is incredible. I love her.

Worth It is such a gorgeous springtime vibe. and Flip a Switch is beginning to take off in the UK.

Ice Cream Man feels so niche... and a little overblown for me.

Worth It is the current/last single, has been added to Hot Hits UK and entered the spotty top 200 (currently #74) after the BRITs, despite not being performed. I would love to see it do well, it's probably the best song on the album for me. pure feel-good spring/summer vibes. :disco:

I thought that had already been a single, I'm sure I saw it playlisted late last year. Anyways despite not being a fan of the album I do love that song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom