Relisten #5: Body Language & X (28/10/20 at 7:30pm)

POP!

Let the light in
KNEW YOU'D BE HERE TONIGHT, SO I PUT MY BEST DRESS ON...

While Eddie arbitrarily assigned me these two albums, I believe it was serendipitous for a few reasons. See, I specifically joined Moopy the week X was released to talk about Kylie. This was the peak of my adoration for her. I even started a Kylie "Santa Baby Holiday Sales Thread", which was (deservedly) manson'd by @funky, who never apologized. But I persevered. Over 40,000 posts later, I have come full circle and am truly honored to host this relistening event.

Body Language and X are arguably the most divisive in Kylie's catalog. Body Language was a conscious pivot from the globe-conquering Fever, and made no attempt to capitalize on its predecessor's euro-pop sound. The direction was American influenced R&B-pop with a 1980s flare, and 1960s Brigitte Bardot inspired styling. The vocals were seductive and breathy. Instead of launching the album with a CGYOOMH or LAFS soundalike, Kylie gave us "Slow". A subdued synthpop track that bewildered most of us until we recognized it for its brilliance dozens of plays later. The album is not packed with obvious hits like Light Years or Fever, but for what it lacks in commercial strength it compensates in warmth and rich melodies. Now let's appreciate the visuals she served this era:

51697cd631873526f46f8ea5efcd8fde.879x879x1.jpg

kylieminoguebodylanguagepng-1.png

B4Z5Bg4CcAAnv-0

tumblr_ml60smoPcz1qfw4cio1_500.gif
PowerfulAgitatedAfricanfisheagle-size_restricted.gif
FabulousPleasingAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

OKAY, so what about X? Expectations were high for what many hailed as the most anticipated comeback album of 2007. Some fans wanted bops, some fans wanted Karen-esque post-cancer ballads, some wanted American-friendly R&B tinged pop. So naturally, Kylie literally gave us ALL OF THAT. She recorded 50 songs (many of which leaked beforehand) that were a hodgepodge of all of these styles. While X lacks the cohesive feel of an album like Body Language, it makes up for in career-best moments like "In My Arms" and "The One".

So without further ado, HOW DO YOU DESCRIBE A FEELING?

5gU6.gif

tumblr_ly1tlrsppM1qggfapo1_500.gif

Last edited:
@POP! I've realised I've been a complete tit and accidentally scheduled my horror sync to clash with this :( Is there any chance you could bring this forward half an hour? I know it's totally my fault so not my place to make demands, but I want to do both albums and the film and not get to bed super late tonight :tongueout:

I've never really come round to BOWEL LEAKAGE, but I've done a a total 180 on X since my first whelming listen to it back on OH SEVEN. It's a brilliant gym album as well (remember them lol).

Last edited:
Don't think I'll be able to make these two, although I'll certainly drop in at some point.

@POP! I've realised I've been a complete tit and accidentally scheduled my horror sync to clash with this :( Is there any chance you could bring this forward half an hour? I know it's totally my fault so not my place to make demands, but I want to do both albums and the film and not get to bed super late tonight :tongueout:
Sure, 7:30 it is.

It was deeply frustrating watching both of these eras squander the global superstardom she achieved with Fever, but they do obviously have their moments.

I struggle to think of an era of hers that was less well-served by its singles than 'Body Language'.

In fact BOTH of these albums are up there. Like HLT, I don’t think they are perfect by any means but they both do it for me.

OMG @POP! I'm OBSESSED with that trainwreck interview and KM giving a rare glimpse into her INNER VOICE in the leaked mic feed :disco:

that was a classic!

fuck SLO MOTION - this is the kind of HOT BONUS CONTENT I want from tonight's sync :disco:

is he RETAAAAHDED? :disco:

Thankfully we don’t have Robotboy to rain on our parade. I am hoping @Christian will make an appearance as a fellow Body Language aficionado.

Last edited:
I still really, really like 2 Hearts :shy:

I could be wrong but I think it was in reference to Dangerous Game? anyone able to CONFIRM?

I don't actually consider Body Language very sultry. :D

It’s the VERY ESSENCE of SULTRY!

Apart from Chocolate which is her second worst single ever!

We all know @monsta ‘s favourite track from the album : AFTER DARK :zombie:

Not SULTRY more like
a KICK IN THE FACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom