Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA (debut album)

COB

The ⭐ 👹
This isn't out until April 17th, but here's the artwork:
zGTqtH2_d.jpg

We have no choice but to stan, etc. She also released the second single from the album today, which is also quite special in the artwork department (as well as being a good song in an 8/10 by her standard sort of way):

The first single was STFU! back in November, which was a bit of a departure for her (being a Poppy-esque metal song) but is also very good:

This is probably my most anticipated album of the year, she's just an absolute joy (seriously listen to her EP/watch her previous videos if you haven't, she's an incredible popstar).

Last edited:
She's also touring! I'll definitely be seeing her, she was amazing supporting Charli so I'm glad she's getting to play near me again.

Comme Des Garçons video:

Some nice looks and moments in there, particularly for being quite clearly done on the cheap. It's good enough, but she did more on (presumably) a similar/smaller budget on her EP. She's said there'll be another song out before the album, so let's see what that's like. I hope it's one of the Clarence Clarity tracks, they work so well together and we haven't had anything this campaign yet :(

(I'm still slightly upset that Moopy isn't engaging with me here, I really think people would enjoy her if they gave her a chance!)

the video was butchered apparently due to being partially re-shot after the controversy with her hair resembling cornrows in the original shoot, hence why it's so late and so shit

I did enjoy her set supporting Charli XCX and I'd certainly be up for an album, although I didn't think artists in this area really "did" albums any more. Is there an actual thing or is it a streaming job?

Album out on Friday! Queen of not delaying, etc. She has put out three songs from it since I last posted, so here we go.

XS:

Chosen Family:

(This one is produced by Danny L Harle and gives me Caroline Polachek Pang 'teas')

Bad Friend:

I really cannot wait for this album.

The reviews have been great! I’m perched and excited for tomorrow, having purposely avoided the pre-release tracks (XS aside) so I have more to devour on the album.

The Beyoncé meets NU-metal PRESS LINE is somewhat off putting however :D I’ve heard Comme Des Garçons is somewhat ON ITS OWN in terms of album sound.

It's here!

Just finishing up my first listen at the moment, and for me it's a TRIUMPH :disco:

anything close to being as good as cherry?

i hated stfu and disliked comme des garcons.

There's not much with the Cherry vibe, but you might like Tokyo Love Hotel - it has a bit of a CRJ/recent Aly & AJ sound to it :D

The Beyoncé meets NU-metal PRESS LINE is somewhat off putting however :D I’ve heard Comme Des Garçons is somewhat ON ITS OWN in terms of album sound.

Are you KIDDING? This is the SELL.

Listened a few times whilst working earlier and it is indeed a smash - even picks up in the middle with the unreal Paradisin' and Love Me 4 Me one after another.

I really like her, but I'm finding the production really off-putting on the album. It's very dense and noisy - tinny even?

I've given this a go and I'm just not sure she's for me - something about her voice is very hard to take over an entire album and the way the songs zoom around all over the musical spectrum can be quite exhausting.

Comme des Garçons, Tokyo Love Hotel, Bad Friend, Chosen Family, STFU and Who's Gonna Save U Now? are all degrees of quite decent though.

The choir on Bad Friend is SO RANDOM :D Not sure it’s QUITE the right song to go all Like A Prayer on..!

On first few listens Tokyo Love Hotel and Snakeskin are my personal highlights - not sure why they haven’t been surfaced as singles yet instead of Chosen Family and Bad Friend.

It’s clearly very strong and well realised, it will take a few listens to fully dive in. I love the nods to J-pop with the random ROCK FLOURISHES. And the now-videoed XS is a very strong pop package.

I’ve been mainly blasting Paradisin, but the album as a whole is a real TREAT. Although definitely requires a few listens.

Love "Paradisin'" - so good.

Whilst I probably agree with some of the overtly retro production elements there is no denying the melodies, vocals & lyrics - all of which would stand up pretty strongly even if all the production is stripped off or altered.

Sawayama / Dua Lipa / Fiona Apple - female holy trinity triptych alpha omega father son & holy ghost of 2020 Corona lockdown QUEENS OF POP :disco:

Reactions: COB
Having spent a bit of time with it, I properly love this album now :disco: It’s so cohesive, and different in comparison to what so many other pop stars are doing right now.

It’s so Utada Hikaru too! It’s sort of like the sequel to her Exodus album (:disco:) that we never got - particularly Tokyo Love Hotel, which is the sister song to Utada’s Hotel Lobby.

SPEAKING of Tokyo Love Hotel, WHAT WAS SHE THINKING with the gloopy Chosen Family as the album-launch single :D Tokyo Love Hotel would have been a much better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom