S13 E06: Disco-Mentary

Gottmik has got to be the most overhyped contestant this season. I just don't see what the fuss is about

She’s also trans and doing drag, is that not enough of a minority thing for her to not be considered ”priviliged”; does she also have to be black, Muslim, disabled and an extinct animal? :D

Don’t get me wrong, I dislike her.

I feel like I am RuPaul in this situation...

I feel as disdainful as everyone else towards their ignorance of actual disco music, but then I thought to myself, without reading stuff like Slant magazine and Moopy and your posts specifically, I don't think I would know anything at all.

True. Much as it PAINED Sheena at the time, Moopy was absolutely instrumental to my musical education, particularly as regards classic disco.

I feel as disdainful as everyone else towards their ignorance of actual disco music, but then I thought to myself, without reading stuff like Slant magazine and Moopy and your posts specifically, I don't think I would know anything at all.

REALLY?

I mean, like I said before, without Moopy, you wouldn't be able to reel off a few Diana/Donna classics, know who sang the original I Will Survive and pumped a Car Wash or We Are Family out?

And anyway, love, you ain't YOUNG so it doesn't count anyway :D

I will also say, even as someone who quite likes disco, if Ru put me on the spot and said 'NAME FIVE SONGS' I'd probably just CRY.

edit: off to the controversy thread i go

I will also say, even as someone who quite likes disco, if Ru put me on the spot and said 'NAME FIVE SONGS' I'd probably just CRY.

I'd PANIC but probably not go too obscure in case she thought I was trying to score points and say three really well known ones, one a bit less so and one she might be a bit more OOOH about:

BONEY M- RASPUTIN
SISTER SLEDGE- HE'S THE GREATEST DANCER
DIANA ROSS- LOVE HANGOVER
FIRST CHOICE- DOCTOR LOVE
MARLENA SHAW- TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

See. Easy.

I mean Moopy is a gay culture compendium. One day in the distant future, when all countdowns have been completed, people will unearth Moopy from beneath the sands and....probably put it right back tbh.

Reactions: dUb
"He's the Greatest Dancer" is one of the greatest tracks of all time, FULL STOP.

Does "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters count as disco?

Thought so. I really wanna make my list now. I feel like we need a separate thread for this.

I'd PANIC but probably not go too obscure in case she thought I was trying to score points and say three really well known ones, one a bit less so and one she might be a bit more OOOH about:

BONEY M- RASPUTIN
SISTER SLEDGE- HE'S THE GREATEST DANCER
DIANA ROSS- LOVE HANGOVER
FIRST CHOICE- DOCTOR LOVE
MARLENA SHAW- TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING

See. Easy.

i was thinking too and I came up with Rasputin too :disco:

I think I got a lot of names from Moopy, but it was my gay mentor who actually got me to listen to stuff. Donna Summer first, and then some mixtapes, then I sort of trogged off finding stuff. My knowledge is mostly singles-deep but I think I could pick out several.

maybe not on the spot with Ru staring at me though

REALLY?

I mean, like I said before, without Moopy, you wouldn't be able to reel off a few Diana/Donna classics, know who sang the original I Will Survive and pumped a Car Wash or We Are Family out?

And anyway, love, you ain't YOUNG so it doesn't count anyway :D

When I came to Moopy at 17/18, I knew a few songs by the BeeGees, Donna Summer (cos I think my Mum liked both and I found albums in Pakistan) and I knew We Are Family, because the Spice Girls sang it. And I think we have familiarity with the classics through ads and shit without knowing exactly what they are. But in terms of knowing, for example, how instrumental Donna was to music and the development of modern dance music, I found that out here. And then lots of stuff I picked out from going out dancing e.g. Diana Ross, Candi Staton.

I felt like I'd probably get read as basic for 1. Diana Ross - Upside Down, 2. ABBA - Voulez Vous, 3. Donna Summer - Love To Love You - I could do with a proper DISCO EDUCATION

When I came to Moopy at 17/18, I knew a few songs by the BeeGees, Donna Summer (cos I think my Mum liked both and I found albums in Pakistan) and I knew We Are Family, because the Spice Girls sang it. And I think we have familiarity with the classics through ads and shit without knowing exactly what they are. But in terms of knowing, for example, how instrumental Donna was to music and the development of modern dance music, I found that out here. And then lots of stuff I picked out from going out dancing e.g. Diana Ross, Candi Staton.

Yeah, but (and I know you've kind of answered this with your last sentence), most 17/18 year olds aren't going to be aware of anything beyond what their parents listened to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom