S13 E10: Freaky Friday Queens

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
I enjoyed this episode. Not a fan of the results but you could see it coming from a mile away.

Good challenge, better than the usual get a strangers and make them look like you.

I still don’t understand the appeal of Tina. Rosé looked extremely rough and grainy and that dress was so ugly. Can’t say that the other way around was much better but at least Tina looked decent for once.

Symone and Utika were the best and it’s no surprise since they both have very strong aesthetic.

Kandy and Gotmik were decent. First time I warmed up to Gotmik.

I didn’t feel like Denali and Olivia were the worst but it is what it is.

MEH, boring episode. It felt SUPER long. Though I'm still laughing HARD at "Does a farm mean anything to anyone?" "Was there a cow?" :D. FUCKING CHARLATAN!

Symone and Utica were the obvious winners, but I didn't think much of ANY of the rest of them. I thought Olivia's face really did look like Denali, but Denali was fuck all like Olivia. It was a tough challenge to judge because of the way it was set up, but I really think Denali was hard done by and I'm sorry to see her go to be honest, it didn't feel like she was deserving overall in a world of Kandy and Tina still being in the competition.

Kandy is fucking awful, though. That dreadful rant on the runway. I really have had enough now.

At first I was like :rolleyes: at the medium because that’s my natural reaction to anything like that, but I’ve decided I liked it because the camp stupidity of it all had a very early seasons vibe

The medium was hilariously shit. She’s just one of Ru’s mates and they’re clearly struggling for any decent guests right now.

Olivia looked just like Denali, so yes you have to feel for Denali going home coz she actually did a pretty decent job. Rosé’s make-up was horrific and that alone should’ve put Tina in the bottom. Also I didn’t get the praise Mik and kandy got.

It feels currently like we’re labouring towards a Gottmik win, which I totally don’t get AT ALL. They can do no wrong.

I enjoyed this episode more than most this season.

The lip-synch was abysmal, given the source material. I feel the song actually carried the performances. Olivia should have gone based on her lip. And I wouldn't be mad. She's boring.

This felt like the first time a US episode was stronger than that week's equivalent UK episode.

It was a really fun challenge and the episode felt like it flowed a lot better than most of the season has. Symone and Utica were the strongest but Kandy and Gottmik did have the biggest challenge and were a strong second pair.

To me any of the other four could have been in the bottom, and I was surprised when almost everyone (bar Olivia) got such positive critiques. Denali going home is sad as she was starting to gain a bit of momentum, but it was felt as though one of her and Rosé was going to get that mid table Jan edit where they try so hard but have one rough week and get sent home. I felt bad for her because she was really hindered in the lip sync by the gown. It did feel in the walk throughs and runways as though Ru never quite warmed to her though.

My ranking:
1. Symone
2. Gottmik
3. Rosé
4. Olivia
5. Utica
6. Kandy
7. Tina

It definitely feels like a race between Symone and Gottmik at the minute. I can't really see anyone else winning.

Oh look, another week where Kandy gets a favourable edit for being a total cunt. In any other season, that runway rant would have been intercut with Ru and Michelle looking unimpressed, followed by critiques about her having a chip on her shoulder and being carried by her partner. Instead, it's treated as the evidence that she's a funny, talented queen which has been so conspicuously lacking in any of her performances.

Oh look, another week where Kandy gets a favourable edit for being a total cunt. In any other season, that runway rant would have been intercut with Ru and Michelle looking unimpressed, followed by critiques about her having a chip on her shoulder and being carried by her partner. Instead, it's treated as the evidence that she's a funny, talented queen which has been so conspicuously lacking in any of her performances.
I thought it was quite refreshing after "Based on the judges' critique..." really. Not that I'd have answered any different to the Uticas but it makes for more interesting TV.

I found Kandy abrasive in that one Untucked like everyone else, but I don't think she's come off particularly badly aside from that.

Refreshing? She’s obnoxious. It was hard watching Denali in Untucked doing her best trying to explain why she picked Kandy.

That was my favourite version of the usually boring make over challenge. Copying and embodying each other makes better tv and makes the judging more predictable as oppposed to the vague ”family resemblence” task.

Having said that, it’s so unfair that Denali had to go home when it was Olivia that failed. Especially when the latter’s lipsync wasn’t any better. I’ve been totally over Olivia for a while, she should’ve even been in the bottom last week.

Refreshing? She’s obnoxious. It was hard watching Denali in Untucked doing her best trying to explain why she picked Kandy.

That was my favourite version of the usually boring make over challenge. Copying and embodying each other makes better tv and makes the judging more predictable as oppposed to the vague ”family resemblence” task.

Having said that, it’s so unfair that Denali had to go home when it was Olivia that failed. Especially when the latter’s lipsync wasn’t any better. I’ve been totally over Olivia for a while, she should’ve even been in the bottom last week.
In fairness I haven't watched any Untuckeds bar that one episode so I don't know how she's been there, but I thought her walk through with Gottmik when they were trying to embody each other this week was endearing.

I was almost sure that it was going to be Rosé and Tina in the bottom with Tina leaving. They both looked awful.

And I agree with what’s said earlier here, it’s starting to look like Gottmik might win and I’m really not for it.

The cow stuff was silly fun, but the medium pretending Tina's dead father was in the room REALLY left a sour taste in my mouth. I hate stuff like that.

On the main stage, I'm sorry, maybe I have no perspective anymore but Kandy's look was one of the worst I've EVER seen. Yes she had a bigger mountain to climb to embody Gottmik's aesthetic but she looked AWFUL.

Tina and Rose looked hilariously busted too. Denali going home just felt sad and arbitrary.

Kandy / Vanjie / insert generic obnoxious "banjee" queen with a voice like a troll are never actual competitors in this mess.

Utica was fabulous. Very strong moment.

Kandy is a prick and looked terrible.

Denali should have stayed.

Nice to see the judges having fun.

I'll give Kandy her dues and admit she was uncharacteristically gracious in Untucked when Denali apologised to her.

This was actually super fun.|

At this point, Symone better fucking win. Because apart from Utica, the rest of the cast is UNLIKABLE AS FUCK. Utica as BAPS was a serrrrrve though.

That "MEDIUM" was FAKE. AS. FUCK. "Does anybody's dad DRIVE A TRUCK?" :D And everybody knows that animals don't have spirits!

Denali going home is the saddest elimination I've ever watched :( My Chicago sister! She is WAY more talented than bums like Tina and Kandi. But girl...show a little more personality!

That "MEDIUM" was FAKE. AS. FUCK. "Does anybody's dad DRIVE A TRUCK?" :D And everybody knows that animals don't have spirits!

Sorry did you just denounce the medium because she spoke to animal spirits but if it had all been humans it would have been more realistic????

Symone and Utica really did a great job this week, but cannot get my head around how much praise Kandy and Gottmik are getting. Kandy being a cunt on the runway was so not cool.

Ugh I don't really have the mental energy after that elimination and lip-stink (and I have a headache), so no exhaustive list this time, you're all lucky.

Denali was totally fucked over, I hoped it was going to be a 4-way lip sync with Tina going. Tina actually looked GOOD for a change, and Rose looked like a car backfired in her face. So I guess the transformations were accurate. Well deserved top 2. But yeah that's all I can be bothered with now.

Except Utica is really getting on my tits, have you seen that clip of that girl who says she "loves sparkly dresses... *scream*", it's that vibe. She creeps me the fuck out

Utica needs to keep it up, it's the best bubble of delusion we've had in a long time. The worst thing this show can do is snap these feeling the fantasy queens back to reality, so I'm quite prepared for her to go home any episode now sadly.

Utica needs to keep it up, it's the best bubble of delusion we've had in a long time. The worst thing this show can do is snap these feeling the fantasy queens back to reality, so I'm quite prepared for her to go home any episode now sadly.
I find Utica quite endearing, to be honest. She's clearly not good at the stuff she thinks she's good at, but there's still a load of talent there.

That was a much better version of the makeover challenge, and the top 2 were perfect. Have they done a joint win before? After that and the ridiculous 4 way win on the UK version I'm just wondering if this is a new thing, I can't remember. Oh yeah snatch game UK Season 1 was joint. Not really a fan of it, though admittedly hard to call between Symone and Utica so I can see the logic here. Those two were miles ahead of the rest and I don't think their pairing was necessarily easy, either.

Ru was right in that it was incredible to see Utica NOT gurning for once, I mean with that figure and her outfits, she looked spectacular, and all the better for reigning in the kookiness. Such a shame I suspect it will return next week in the advert challenge. The teaser suggests she's in trouble again, too.

Kandy and Gottmik, well...yeah that was tough and they probably deserved to be safe, just. But it irks me how Kandy got such a free ride - Gottmik actually looked GOOD, which is not something you apply to Kandy, and the outfit didn't scream Kandy to me, either. Let's be honest she should have come out looking like a busted, basic mess, and not wearing Tina Burner's colour palette. Kandy was very lucky that Gottmik did the personality thing quite well. Well I say lucky, she seemed to get away with murder the entire episode right up to that rant - I mean literally ONE person I think mentioned her, the rest was Olivia, so what was the need for that counter attack?! Please leave now, the well is dry.

Tina Burner - every fucking episode, in the runways, in the workroom, in the talking heads, she continues to wear the same hideous garb and colours, so of course for the challenge the logical thing is to put Rose in a green floral dress?! Wtf? Why was this not called out? Other than that I thought they got the mannerisms of each other down, despite looking like shit. But both of their runways are usually dreadful anyway so it all fits.

I can't say I feel bad for Denali. Totally expendable, albeit one of those queens who could easily have sneaked up into the top 4. The make-up job on Olivia was disgusting. Given Denali's looks are usually her strength that was an instant alarm bell moment, and that's before we get into her version of Olivia, even if that was both of their faults. However...I'm not quite sure what she was supposed to DO to be Olivia really :D Quite a tricky one as her runways have arguably been very scattershot. I mean it certainly looked like one of her runways I guess. Maybe she just needed to smile more and act all cute and sweet? I don't know, and that says more about Olivia surely. Didn't help that Denali looked rough as fuck in the face too.

Symone must win, she's shone in every episode bar one I think. Clearly a two horse race between her and Gottmik. Who else will be there making up the numbers? Rosé I guess.

I do worry that Kandy will make it to the very end or at least top 4 :D The reality is everyone bar the top 2 (and, maybe, Rosé) is in danger now Olivia has dropped off a cliff, it's probably entirely challenge dependent at this stage, so Kandy could sneak in there. The horror!

I suppose this time last year Crystal was just starting to rise at this point, and by the end it did feel like she could maybe possibly cause an upset. I just don't see any of Rosé/Olivia/Kandy/Tina/Utica coming close to threatening the other two at this point. Rosé does seem like the obvious third but a winner she is not.

I find Utica quite endearing, to be honest. She's clearly not good at the stuff she thinks she's good at, but there's still a load of talent there.

Same, this is why I always will her to do well and hate her obvious downfalls. She appears to overthink everything, the comedy etc, especially with how twice now she's been worried of how something will be perceived. It's interesting though because I don't recall anyone bringing up those issues on Drag Race before, and she's done it twice in two weeks. She didn't need to worry in those cases but it does highlight how something bad or questionable you do on Drag Race (or any TV show) can blow up in real life. Maybe she felt the need to mention in case an edit made her look like she was culturally appropriating.

The exaggerated mugging thing is another issue. It obviously needs toning tone depending on the task at hand, but not sure if this episode will make her see that.

On the flip side she seems proper sweet, albeit with a few issues and personality flaws like anyone, and I love how she seems genuinely happy to be there experiencing it all. I loved her reaction to winning the lip sync. Not the GRACIOUS response you expect from people, just sheer DELIGHT. Loved her take on lip syncing actually being an incredible, empowering thing and not the pit of despair like everyone else...as long as she realises WHY she was put there of course, I'm not 100% sure she does :D

Fairly certain her days are numbered despite the win, but hoping to be wrong! She's WAY more interesting than most of this crop and has the best runways of the season.

I suppose this time last year Crystal was just starting to rise at this point, and by the end it did feel like she could maybe possibly cause an upset. I just don't see any of Rosé/Olivia/Kandy/Tina/Utica coming close to threatening the other two at this point. Rosé does seem like the obvious third but a winner she is not.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Rosé as such, but she has a win under her belt now and has been the most consistent in the challenges outside the top 2. She's proved she's got half decent performance/comedy chops. Personally I think her runways are VILE, but this isn't called out as much as I expected, so I struggle to imagine her not making top 4 at this stage.

The win is 100% Symone or Gottmik though

One of the best episodes ever I think and I'm really enjoying how long this season has gone on for. Lockdown has probably helped in that respect! Denali was always going to be an also ran, so not really sad for the her getting the boot. I agree with @Raining On Me, I can't really see it going any way other than Symone or Mik, with Tina probably filling out the final.

Tina reaching the final would be RIDICULOUS at this point! She's literally given us nothing! :D

Even DIDA RITZ had served up an iconic lip sync by this stage.

Tina gets by on sheer professionalism. I'm sure she thought she was going to walk the season but she's not even close.

Kandy was very lucky that Gottmik did the personality thing quite well.

Did she?! Thought it was try-hard and mediocre.

Could we have a trans winner in US and non-binary winner in UK? That would be a statement from Ru to be honest...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom