S14 E01: Big Opening No. 1

How will you be watching Season 14?

• Total voters

dUbsday Blue

STRIKING UNIQUE QUEER
Pronouns
He/Him
Synopsis: A new cast of queens, competing for $100,000, must show off their performance skills in a talent show. Superstar singer Lizzo guest judges.

I wonder if the "No. 1" means we're only going to get half the queens in this episode? I hope it's not as drawn out as last season, but I think that's confirmed to have been because they had to cut the Celebrity season short and pad out Season 13 with extra episodes 🥴

It'll be interesting to see how much damage it not being on Netflix is gonna do to the show over this direction :o

So wait it's not on Netflix this time round?
Indeed! Unless there's a last-minute deal done like last time but they've been pretty firm about it only being on Wow+ internationally :o

I'm sure I watched more on Wow+ than any other streaming service last year 😵 so I'm quite happy to keep my subscription going

Actually that can't be true but it's definitely paid for itself or washed its face or whatever

I'm sure I watched more on Wow+ than any other streaming service last year 😵 so I'm quite happy to keep my subscription going
I keep thinking I'll resubscribe. But then I think I'm already paying for Sky, Netflix, Prime and Disney+. Plus the TV licence, of course. It seems ridiculous to go for another one.

I'd really rather not, but I may give in if I see they all land there.

Well I hope Angle gets to enjoy her first episode without a horrible Untucked to ensure if she goes first as I think looks too likely for it to be true surely.

Alyssa Hunter out of drag is IT.

Kornbread really delivering from the jump, definitely paid attention to Miss Silk with the good milk and is just the right level of ott.

Kerri Colby is STUNNING and a stand out season narrator.

To be honest I quite liked elements of all of them, could be a strong season!

Oh, and I see Rupaul continues to study at the Mariah Carey school of wooden performers with that lip sync!

I enjoyed that premier, the cast seem pretty good all round, especially Kerri, Kornbread and Willow. Definitely a massive step up on S13, just for the fact that they actually eliminated someone in the first week :D

Correct queen went, they didn't give much and their talent show was a shit knock off of Crystal Methyd's one in S12.

Oh, and I see Rupaul continues to study at the Mariah Carey school of wooden performers with that lip sync!

What was that? :D It’s like all the charisma, nerve, talent were on hold during that performance.

I loved Kerri, the one from Seattle (that rose dress was goegeous) and Kornbread.

Willow Pillow with Enya and the toaster was everything though.

I enjoyed that premier, the cast seem pretty good all round, especially Kerri, Kornbread and Willow. Definitely a massive step up on S13, just for the fact that they actually eliminated someone in the first week :D

Correct queen went, they didn't give much and their talent show was a shit knock off of Crystal Methyd's one in S12.

Yeah, it was a big relief finding out they ditched that S13 format.

I thought the talent show was a bit of a mixed bag and nobody was perfect, but definitely stronger than last year. I need to stop comparing them to the iconic S12 opening.

Oh also… if Ru keeps saying Willow Pill like that then eliminate them now. I don’t care how great they could be.

God Orion Story was SO CRAP :D A classic first out -dreadful talent show turn, hideous runway.

The rest have promise. I too tire of RuPaul's Wiwwow Piww bit, but bringing ENYA to the runway is definitely a bit iconic.

Kornbread is clearly going to the end or close, but on this episode she deserves it. I imagine Kerri will also last a while, with Alyssa and Bosco serving as mid-season fillers. Bosco's looks were great, but that burlesque number wasn't a patch on Roxxxy or Bendelacreme's.

June Jambalaya could go either way at this point. She didn't deserve bottom really, but clearly they wanted somebody to give that Lizzo song a worthwhile reading.

Alyssa the obvious hate figure from the outset but I am LIVING for Miss Kornbread.

Willow was the big surprise for me as, yes, she seemed an obvious first out. There’s a whiff of Aiden Zhane there somewhere…

But yeah, great first episode- was wonderful to see an engaged judge like Lizzie mucking about with Ru who was clearly having fun- and I do think it’s a strong cast.

I too got Aiden Zhane / BRM vibes from Willow - pleasantly surprised at the Enya toaster bath.

Orion definitely the correct choice to leave.

Here for the Kornbread talking heads. Agree she’ll be going all the way.

Nice of Ru to let Charlie Hides lip sync to his new song Catwalk.

Obviously I'm spoiled rotten with all the GALA performances throughout the years, but this was not June's time of the month.

Bosco lacked a hook. The petals were nice, but I thought we were building up to something. We've had Roxxxy and BenDela. This was an interval act.

I expected Alyssa to play the guitar, so a straight lip sync doesn't cut it. She's went half a procedure too far, but otherwise obviously he's gorgeous. They eyebrows are a problem.

I couldn't see Carrie's rope in my 360p screening, but wow is she a supermodel and I too want to stare at her all the time. The critique about jumping from the get was "interesting" as Ross says since, you know, it's clearly an exhausting activity.

Orion was awful. It should have been a sequel to Alaska's season 5 finale courtroom act persona wise.

Korn is my pick of the litter. They are a star. They are going to run away with the talking head trophy that's for sure. She had me at Merle.

Willow. She had me at Enya and I'm not even among the moopy Enya brigade (shame on me really if this is what those hums inspire). I was already laughing, but the toaster killed me (as it were).

Michelle's Lisa Loeb looked amazing. This must have been recorded some time ago as she was not looking like that on Wendy Williams.

Decent enough song, but both were raggedy. The right one went.

I had gotten so BORED of the US series but this opener was a delight - so many strong contenders and likeable characters! Kornbread, Kerri, Bosco and somehow eventually Willow - all fantastic.

Bosco in particular, clearly comes from the Jinkx and Dela Seattle school of drag but with a bit more of a FASHION eye. I think she's only going to go from strength to strength. That said, I agree with others that right now it is Kornbread's to lose.

what an excellent first episode! i thought it would be shoddy until halfway through the talent show things proper took a turn to *.*

willow pill is lovely (i howled!). enya. the meatballs, the toaster, that robe.
kornbread is the other one that looks like an early ten. great talking head, such a fun performance and i like the fashion - the bald head was great if you ask me, even if the proportion was weird.

lizzo was an excellent judge - the whole vibe of the episode was great. has ru ever said "i love her" about any other girl like that? also: has she moved since 1996? loved the effort :hostage:

most of the queens seem lovely. am gonna miss orion story. should've been the rock one in the bottom.

haven't been this excited by a new girl since... well symone...

Last edited:
Ok this was a GREAT Ep #1. I like ALL of the queens. Carrie Colby is my fave so far. She's gorgeous.

The Willow Pill bashing is a bit uncomfortable. I LOVE her. They were actually pretty strong. I liked Orion a lot.

LOL @ Ru's "performance". Serving late-career realness

This episode does not make Lizzo any more likeable for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom