Scottish politics thread (including 2021 Holyrood elections, potential IndyRef2, and SNP leadership contest)

My phone always defaults to Nicole cos that’s my best friends name. I’d usually correct but it’s a Tuesday and I can’t be arsed.

Having read his wikipedia I am now an expert and this guy is SCREAMING out for a gay scandal.

081919E0-DB15-4539-921A-4925882B1A5C.jpeg

:WellThereWeAre:

The SNP used to be known as the Tartan Tories. The problem is that the only thing that really unites the party members is the issue of Scottish independence. Once you take that out of the equation, you are left with a fragmented party all with completely differing views.

There a woman in my work who looks a *lot* like Kate Forbes and I feel really sorry for her. She's already been mistaken for her once but this was easily parried because, at that time, she hadn't a clue who Kate Forbes was. she knows now...

Forbes as leader would kill the SNP - they would lose the entire left wing and youth vote and go back to the hinterlands of the 80s. You cannot expect people to support an independent Scotland if it won't be an improvement on the union. I certainly won't vote for her or Regan's vision for Scotland.

Reactions: COB
I honestly think it is going to come down to how single-minded the membership are on independence. Those on the harder line didn’t like Sturgeon because they didn’t feel she was focused enough on independence (despite literally proposing a date for a second referendum LAST YEAR) and see Yousaf as the continuity candidate and more of the same whereas Forbes and especially Regan are much more in that gung ho “let’s make it happen” camp. I don’t actually think any of them would manage to deliver independence. Even if Regan or Forbes managed to get the top job, the only way I could see Westminster agreeing to it is because support for independence has fallen and they’d get to put the issue to bed for another ten years. If I was still in Scotland, i’d really struggle to get behind a vision for independence led by either of them. I am far from an ‘independence trumps all’ sort - I have no interest in founding a new independent nation if social justice must be cast aside to achieve it.

I would hope that the membership is more progressive than the voter base here, but I do worry a bit.

I would never vote SNP again until Forbes is fully flushed. I'd be truly stunned if they didn't trip up in many other ways anyway.

If this does play out, I really hope the winners out of this are the Greens and not the bloody Labour Party

There is an SNP leadership debate tonight at 9pm on STV.

I'm very curious if Ash Regan will be the dumpster fire I expect. I imagine Kate Forbes will be the best at debating, but will come undone if (probs when) the gay marriage views come up.

I hope Yousaf is well prepped for the woman's rights question comes up, because you know the two monsters will relish the chance to J*nn* Ch*rry all over it

There is an SNP leadership debate tonight at 9pm on STV.

I'm very curious if Ash Regan will be the dumpster fire I expect. I imagine Kate Forbes will be the best at debating, but will come undone if (probs when) the gay marriage views come up.

I hope Yousaf is well prepped for the woman's rights question comes up, because you know the two monsters will relish the chance to J*nn* Ch*rry all over it

Do we have a likely date when the next person will take over from Nicola Sturgeon? Will she be present at the leadership debate this evening?

27th March the results will be announced. Sturgeon will formally resign the next day I believe, which will probably also be the day of the parliamentary vote for the next FM, certainly some time that week. If one of the two monsters get it then we might have some weirdness where no one gets a majority in the first vote and haggling will occur. I don't think a plurality suffices. I doubt it would end in an election but it is possible if no one gets confidence within 28 days.

It really demonstrates the issue both with the SNP (and with the UK) that they all had shit answers on independence. Though Ash Regan miles ahead on the shitometer

Humza is doing better than I would have expected. I don't think he is coming across as the incompetent idiot people try and paint him as. (Though if he has sense he'll appoint Angus Robertson as deputy and listen to everything he has to say)

Also that Tunnocks advert was horrendous :zombie:

The headsets these viewers are wearing

Forbes wants an independent Scotland to be in the Commonwealth? Fuck that!

Well that was largely a waste of time. No clear winner really, I don't see it changing members minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom