Serbia 2022: Konstrakta - In Corpore Sano

Apparently the name 'Lapponia' is Latin, but that's it.

Maybe she will take off a mask and it will be the Duchess of Cambridge :disco:

A poster on popjustice gave some in-depth context to the song, and now its safe to say that I can only STAN this bizarre but wonderful(?) entry:

For some context, the whole track is obviously quite inspired by the Covid era. "Secrets of Meghan Markle's healthy hair" was an actual article in Serbian media last year, which seemed a bit... trivial compared to some of the problems all of us were facing. Like, try and stay beautiful while also being in a deadly pandemic, right? Musicians in Serbia are treated as contractors, with a fixed monthly tax no matter the profits, and profits obviously went to zero since there were no shows, and you can imagine it's even tougher if you're indie. If you don't pay said tax, you're not medically insured either. So yeah, a lot of artists just hoped they simply wouldn't get sick. Like, if something horrible happened to you, you'd be taken care of, but lesser problems wouldn't register. Therefore, our narrator self-diagnoses by checking for dark circles etc. She's also grateful for her body taking care of itself ("autonomic nervous system"), and simply taking her dog out for a stroll on a sunny day, since we've had lockdowns so strict that you couldn't even take your dogs out to pee!
"Umetnica mora biti zdrava" means "Artist must be healthy", which is a reference to Marina Abramovic's "Art Must Be Beautiful, Artist Must Be Beautiful" performance piece. Of course, it ominously turns into "Artist might be healthy". I wouldn't translate the Latin bits, but they're poignant too. The lyrics remind me so much of Bjork's "Triumph of a Heart", in a way?
So yeah, this is a lovely yet bleak reflection upon all of this. I hope it will somehow shine through the contest, I think the message is very important.

God I NEED this HOT Die Another Day via LATIN OCD bollocks through SO BADLY :disco:

Last edited:
Surely it has NO CHOICE but to qualify.
So it's in the semi where the conditions are more there for it to fall short if its appeal ends up being Balkan/diaspora-only - 18 countries competing for 10 slots, plus three Big Five voters to make it 21 votes across 18 entries, rather than 19 across 17 in SF1 (ergo raising the notional minimum points threshold needed to qualify). And it's only really got Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Sweden on that front in its semi (it has Australia and Romania too, but they don't usually give Serbia many points at all). It really badly needs to cross over if it wants to make it out.

Last edited:
I think they just need to get the lyrics/message across clearly for people outside the Balkans/Serbian diaspora to vote for it.

And I’d be FUMING if this didn’t get through. I mean look at the first half of their semi, the only decent songs are this and Cyprus (and potentially Azerbaijan).

(Though the second half does seem VERY competitive)

I’m hoping this has a lot more mass appeal than we give it credit for, it’s YouTube numbers are surpassing nearly ever other song in the competition.

I’m hoping this has a lot more mass appeal than we give it credit for, it’s YouTube numbers are surpassing nearly ever other song in the competition.
Hurricane did tremendously well on YouTube as well! Just a problem is a lot of the Balkan countries driving those numbers at the moment aren't in Serbia's semi or aren't taking part at all :(

I cannot help but hear Betty Driver, Betty Driver, Betty Driver, Be Be Be Betty Driver…

Going insane this morning after the concept of IN CORPORE SANO - BRITNEY VERSION popped INTO MY HEAD :disco: :disco: :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom