Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Murder on the Dancefloor

Gonna burn this god damn house right down

• Total voters
The definition of the wrong song at the wrong time. Not that it wasn't successful but if this had dropped 10 years later it would have been an era defining worldwide superhit like Uptown Funk or something.

Either way, a pop classic by any criteria.

i appreciate it but its turned a bit novelty for me. Much prefer some of her other singles/tracks but what a single for her.

I'm head of this god damned house you know :disco:

The intro to this song remains gorgeous. She really carved a template for herself with this song that she hastily made the most out of. I still think her brand of sturdy and stiff disco is due a comeback. She is a one off and the closest we ever got to a new/nu wave of Cristina Monet (rip).

Obviously a 10, but I could entirely live without ever hearing it again

This is getting quite the revival thanks to its use in THAT Saltburn scene. I've enjoyed seeing American gays discovering it for the first time on Twitter.

#93 on UK Spotify today.

Should get a nice bump tomorrow as there are still a lot of Christmas tracks above it.

If Saltburn is the Glass Onion of this Christmas in terms of number of viewers it may well actually end up charting properly again.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR
It did seem like everybody on my timeline was watching it over Christmas (it hit Amazon Prime in mid December), although given the content I'm sure it's overall popularity skews a lot more gay interest only than Glass Onion.

I also didn't realise she's at #23 on iTunes with a track that was in Mog.

This is getting quite the revival thanks to its use in THAT Saltburn scene. I've enjoyed seeing American gays discovering it for the first time on Twitter.

#93 on UK Spotify today.
Up to #40 today.

Still 9 Christmas songs above it, so hopefully it can manage another decent climb tomorrow. Streams increased from 91.5k on 26th to 109k yesterday, so hopefully it has some genuine momentum, and it isn't only the annual clearout causing it to rise.

Annieways -
As we all know, any score other than 10 is null and void. Saltburn or not.

It is definitely a 10/10 pop classic. I enjoy hearing it randomly but don’t feel the need to go out of my way for it.

Was used brilliantly in Saltburn!

If it charts this week, it'll be her first singles chart appearance since Young Blood peaked at #34 in 2014.

If it holds up it should do even if on ACR. I assume it stays on that as it is over 3 years old, unless the label applies to reset due to the ‘promotion’?

Love seeing this in the spotify charts. I can see some of her other videos are getting an airing from gays on twitter too - American gays discovering 'Get Over You' :disco:

Oh, so that's why it's been trending all week and has been used on a lot of tikToks I've watched :D I am due to watch Saltburn this weekend so I didn't know it appears in the soundtrack.

I love how Sophie keeps winning.

Didn't she say she was going back to the dancefloor with the next album? It is probably a bit quick after Hana but it would be convenient if she had a banger to release soonish off the back of the publicity for this.

They really need to apply for a promo reset thingy- it's a potential top ten hit again at this stage!

Number 15 !!
And up 30k in terms of number of streams, do she's still got momentum, which hopefully we serve her well now all the Christmas songs have gone.

According to kworb it had 376k streams globally on 27/12, when 110k of that was from the UK, so hopefully it's gaining traction elsewhere as well, although 376k is still way below the #200 globally, which had over 1.1m.

231m total Spotify streams total as well, which pleasantly surprised me, even though I remember it being a decent international hit.

I didn't know this had been written by (a) SEB herself, alongside (b) the front man from the New Radicals, of 'You Get What You Give' FAME

Both having a lovely new year with all these extra royalties, I hope.

Anyone else go and calculate 376k x 0.003 (thanks EUROVISION!) and work out how much cash she's taking home daily? :D

I didn't know this had been written by (a) SEB herself, alongside (b) the front man from the New Radicals, of 'You Get What You Give' FAME

Both having a lovely new year with all these extra royalties, I hope.

Gregg Alexander was quite a prolific pop writer in the early noughties.

In other news, SEBS current top 5 on spotify is quite interesting. No Groovejet or Take Me Home atm

1. Murder on the Dancefloor 232m
2. Can't Fight This Feeling 12m
3. Not Giving Up on Love 23m :disco:
4. Get Over You 18m
5. Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer 8m

1. Murder on the Dancefloor 232m
3. Not Giving Up on Love 23m :disco:
4. Get Over You 18m
5. Heartbreak Make Me a Dancer 8m
:disco: :disco: :disco:

And number 8 is her cover of Crying at the Discotheque

Users who are viewing this thread