Streaming sticks

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Can anyone recommend one? I'm planning on getting one for my mother. She has a TV which is only a couple of years old, but at the time didn't buy a smart one as she didn't think she wanted it. However, I've recently got her fairly hooked on Netflix when I lent her my tablet. And I think that a streaming stick is probably the easiest option.

I've looked at the Amazon Fire stick, Roku and NOW TV and for some reason or other discounted NOW - I seem to recall that you can't get amazon video through that, which isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but unless it has other significant advantages over the other two, I'd prefer those.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with any of them, or can recommend any others?

Apple TV has apps for Netflix, NowTV and Amazon so you can log into all at the same time. I take it you’d just be givin her your own Netflix password - my mum has the same but she’s still hellbent on using a DVR type box from Panasonic.

My step mum has an Amazon Fire stick and it’s really rather good. She wanted me to come round to “install” it for her and it just involved plugging in and turning it on. The remote for it is also better than Apple TV.

We've got both a fire stick and chromecast. Don't really have any problems with either

Apple TV has apps for Netflix, NowTV and Amazon so you can log into all at the same time. I take it you’d just be givin her your own Netflix password - my mum has the same but she’s still hellbent on using a DVR type box from Panasonic.

My step mum has an Amazon Fire stick and it’s really rather good. She wanted me to come round to “install” it for her and it just involved plugging in and turning it on. The remote for it is also better than Apple TV.

Yes, I'll let her have my Netflix password. A little worried about giving her my Amazon one though - I know she wouldn't order anything through the store, but I wouldn't be surprised if she rented or bought films instead of just streaming the ones available for free on Prime.

I wonder if there’s some kind of parental lock that you can activate. Otherwise what do families do to prevent their kids purchasing content?

I wonder if there’s some kind of parental lock that you can activate. Otherwise what do families do to prevent their kids purchasing content?

Yes there is, we learnt this after Kylie bought Shrek or something for £12.99 the other week!

Is that the password to your regular Amazon account? Do you really want to have to answer questions about the giant black vibrating dildo in the recent purchases section?

We had a firestick for ages and it was great, I've only stopped using it because I spunked a load of money on a 4k TV which has everything built in, and now we can watch annoying kids cartoons in a squillion lifelike colours.

Is that the password to your regular Amazon account? Do you really want to have to answer questions about the giant black vibrating dildo in the recent purchases section?

I'll tell her I sent it back because it kept dropping out.

Yes, I'll let her have my Netflix password. A little worried about giving her my Amazon one though - I know she wouldn't order anything through the store, but I wouldn't be surprised if she rented or bought films instead of just streaming the ones available for free on Prime.

And sure enough I've just had an email thanking me for renting Bohemian Rhapsody.

I did put a parental lock on it, but frankly it was a pain because you need to put a code in to do pretty much anything, so I got rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom