Sufjan Stevens - "The Ascension"

I just stumbled upon this thread as it looked QUITE INTERESTING as I’ve never heard of him before and have given the album a whirl. It’s QUITE GOOD isn’t it? CHANGING MY AVATAR AS WE SPEAK.

listen to Come on Feel the Illinoise! as thats a very solid album I feel

This album is just so good. Honestly. Also is the King of Pop coming out? I think there's a lyric in which he says I've lost my preference :eyes:

Anyway I might have to return to my Sufi avatar. Annie was fun for a week.

This album is just so good. Honestly. Also is the King of Pop coming out? I think there's a lyric in which he says I've lost my preference :eyes:

Anyway I might have to return to my Sufi avatar. Annie was fun for a week.

I think he's been 'out' for years in his lyrics, hasn't he?

Or its just wishful thinking on my part.

I thought Sufjan had come out YEARS AGO?

I'm so obsessed with this album, I really love it. I think the production similarities at points to Homogenic and Vespertine really shine through for me.
No wonder the reviews were so noncommittal and weird. There's waaaay too much to absorb here to form an opinion with on just a few listens.

I don't get the Age Of Adz comparisons either - this album sounds NOTHING LIKE IT AT ALL to my ears.

I just stumbled upon this thread as it looked QUITE INTERESTING as I’ve never heard of him before and have given the album a whirl. It’s QUITE GOOD isn’t it? CHANGING MY AVATAR AS WE SPEAK.

Omg can we get a live reaction thread for when you listen to Carrie and Lowell, if you make it to the end ALIVE!

i gave up on this midway through my first listen. it seems a bit too indulgent without offering much in return. video game was a standout (thanks to its focus) which rather says a lot for me. the only other one that left an impression was tell me you love me.

for every record of his i love (illinois, c&l), i seem to dislike another (the age of adz, all delighted people).

I thought Sufjan had come out YEARS AGO?

I'm so obsessed with this album, I really love it. I think the production similarities at points to Homogenic and Vespertine really shine through for me.
No wonder the reviews were so noncommittal and weird. There's waaaay too much to absorb here to form an opinion with on just a few listens.

I don't get the Age Of Adz comparisons either - this album sounds NOTHING LIKE IT AT ALL to my ears.
Yeah nothing like Age of Adz to me (which is my least fave Sufi album I think)..

This is like Bjork and also ARCAA!!!

Quite enjoying this, it’s quite a MOOD PIECE. Not listening too hard as I sense it’s utterly depressing once you DIG DEEP!

I am finding it vaguely lol that queen Sufjan has recorded an album that often touches upon his (NEGATIVE) relationship with modern day America, called it The Ascension, and has literally ASCENDED to his own secluded mansion in up-state New York because he can't handle being around other human beings any more :D

Still loving this. The 80 min runtime ZIPS BY for me, I've even added on My Rajneesh onto to the end because frankly WHY NOT MAKE IT 90 MINUTES :D :disco:

LuAnn is selling the upstate house for $1 million, surely we can all club together and buy it?

Sufjan's randomly released the first of a 5 part instrumental project today. It's actually LOVELY, somewhere between Max Richter and Oneohtrix Point Never. More of a curio rather than a new era like The Ascension, but something CALM to put on when reading/meditating/hungover.
Possibly also a slight pitch by Sufjan to do more soundtrack work.

:disco:

09 Make Me An Offer I Can’t Refuse
08 Run Away With Me
07 Video Games
10 Lamentations
09 Tell Me You Love Me
07 Die Happy
08 Ativan
09 Ursa Major
07 Landslide
07 Gilgamesh
08 Death Star