SuRie: STORM opinion topic

Storms are not FOREVER?

• Total voters
Feels an APT song to REDISCOVER considering the EVENTS of the DAY! :disco:

HE4PHv.gif

HILARIOUSLY the BBC upload of this keeps in the stage invasion, even though I believe the official Eurovision YouTube edits that section out :D

The illustrious line up SuRie BEAT to get the British nod in 2018:
- Raya"Crazy"
- Liam Tamne"Astronaut"
- Asanda"Legends"
- Jaz Ellington"You"
- Goldstone"I Feel the Love"

Was this the CORRECT CHOICE? Where is poor SuRie NOW? And what do you think of this ENTRY?

Very SIMPLE but I like that for it. Was shocked it didn't do at least slightly better, especially with the stage invasion.

I watched the Making Your Mind Up that night was absolutely sure that boring Ja Ellington would walk so was (and still am!) pretty thrilled with the UK's choice that night.

I really DO think that if we'd had somebody with a bit more imagination and CARE do the revamp of Storm, it could have ended up a slightly better entry than what we got stuck with. In its "finished" state to me it still sounds like a demo. NOT that I think anybody could have performed some sort of MIRACLE that would have helped its chances at Eurovision mind.

Poor SuRie. She seemed very nice and self-aware, but people who are backing singers often find themselves as backing singers for a REASON :D

To think we sent Storm in the same year as FUEGO :D
eleni-foureira-eleni.gif

Last edited:
Feels an APT song to REDISCOVER considering the EVENTS of the DAY! :disco:

HE4PHv.gif

HILARIOUSLY the BBC upload of this keeps in the stage invasion, even though I believe the official Eurovision YouTube edits that section out :D

The illustrious line up SuRie BEAT to get the British nod in 2018:
- Raya"Crazy"
- Liam Tamne"Astronaut"
- Asanda"Legends"
- Jaz Ellington"You"
- Goldstone"I Feel the Love"

Was this the CORRECT CHOICE? Where is poor SuRie NOW? And what do you think of this ENTRY?

I have always thought it was right that the BBC kept the stage invasion in and rather shameful that the EBU has tried to whitewash it from Eurovision history! Surie suffered!

Always enjoyed it. It’s a relatively pedestrian song but Surie, bless her, elevated it with her sheer enthusiasm. I don’t remember it being too fancied before the national final, yet on the night it was the obvious choice. It could have done a little better in Lisbon but, hey, it still got more televotes than Sweden :D

‘Legends’ was a better song but Asanda was like a rabbit in the headlights.

Not particularly bad. Just utterly bland.

Legends could indeed have been a bit more ATTENTION GRABBING had Asanda been able to sing/enunciate

Not really her fault, I think she was just very inexperienced and it SHOWED

Yeah, I thought it would walk it on the basis of the studio versions - then she opened her mouth.

My spontaneous thought was that she's a 12, but perhaps that's nostalgia speaking, so am going with 10.
I've always thought she was really good and her song was beautiful.
The stage invasion made me like her even more.

The stage invasion was the only exiting thing about it. Surie seems nice but the song was a big dull dud.

Storm really is such a SIMPLE SONG, it could have been a UK entry at ANY POINT in the past 30 years couldn't it? :D

No Dream Impossible, which frankly is basically the SAME sort of SONG sung by the SAME sort of PERFORMER, sounds positively FORWARD THINKING in comparison to SuRie :disco:

Reactions: D5K
Legends could indeed have been a bit more ATTENTION GRABBING had Asanda been able to sing/enunciate

Not really her fault, I think she was just very inexperienced and it SHOWED

I really think Raya should have been given this song; she was much the better performer and singer and could have really done something with it. Poor Asanda sounded like someone had punched her in the stomach before she went on stage.

The stage invasion version was our best entry of the decade, but it fundamentally just wasn't all that well suited to Eurovision really. I still scream that it got more televotes than Dance You Off though :basil:

I reckon Legends could've done better. She could have been taught how to hit camera angles in three months.

I like that in another dimension, the stage invasion never happened and she finished DEAD LAST (probably with a zero from the public :D) and we’ve would’ve ended up finishing last THREE TIMES IN A ROW :D:D

• Sad
Reactions: COB
I re-visit the stage invasion version more than anything else from 2018.

Hey, HEY brother, ol’ SuRly should have sent this fun for Europe mix direkt to Eurovision.

On a slightly related note, Lucie Jones’s number contained a reference to inclement conditions and the 7th Heaven remix is the weather balloon’s tits.

Just give me your HAND ✋ and HOLD ON🤝, TOGETHER👬we’ll DANCE💃🕺👯‍♀️ through this STORM⚡🌩️🌧️☔

The bridge after the stage invasion is such a moment, bless her for really kicking the arse out of it for the last minute.

I’m not sure it would have made a huge difference to the result but I was surprised she didn’t perform again, only because the crowd were so on her side it could have been a really nice moment for her.

Storm was also beautifully staged. Agree that it still sounded a bit like a demo but that was always one of the most annoying things about UK selection when we had a NF - we would be promised further mixes that never really emerged.

'Storm' is so DRAB

Free bottle of Matey to anyone who can even HUM IT!

Wasn’t this the year we had the genuinely half decent LEGENDS in You Decide but it was given to some SCHOOL GIRL with NO STAGE EXPERIENCE :D!

• Haha
Reactions: Zu
Which if I’m right was also the same year we’d turned down Austria’s eventual jury-winning entry :basil:

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: Zu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom