Taylor Swift - folklore [New Album]

I didn't think I THOUGHT MUCH of Cardigan at first - slightly odd jaunty rhythm - but the "middle 8" (or just entire final 2 minutes) is really a DREAM

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan

I have this on and I like it a lot. She's far more palatable to me when downbeat and thoughtful rather than perky and earnest.

The wedding was charming, if a little GAUCHE
there's only so far new money GOES...

The Last Great American Dynasty - I really, really like this. It feels like she's branching into a different kind of songwriting, more broad than her typical musings on love and self-reflection. It's more Lana in the way it approaches its subject. It also feels perfectly pop, which this album is surprising me with so far. A SONG.

I had a marvellous time... ruining everything... :disco:

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
09 The Last Great American Dynasty

The Last Great American Dynasty

I really like her lyrics on this album so far. She is really growing as a songwriter and, well, she may well be one of the greatest songwriters of this generation. There I said it.

@jivafox - I'm getting serious Aimee vibes on this one.

Exile bored me but I wasn't really listening - tuned out when I heard his voice

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile

Exile

Hmm... I don't like these sorts of duets and I'm not a fan of Bon Iver to be honest. Did she not do something similar to this a few years ago with Gary Lightbody (sp?) from Snow Patrol and didn't go anywhere really. This is similar. I do like the melody and when they sing together (particularly towards the end) but the verses are a bit over the top. A bit cheesy for me really.

7/10

My Tears Ricochet

And if I'm dead to you
Why are you at the wake
Cursing my name
Look at my tears ricochet

10/10

She's spoken about how her track 5 is always a big emotional one but this one is just nice. Outro is the best bit.

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet

I am not sure how her 'hardcore' fanbase or the masses will react to this album but this is a really, really great record so far.

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
08 The Last Great American Dynasty
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet

It's all starting to blend into one at this particular moment...

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball
07 Seven

Mirrorball
Sounds a bit like a 'typical' album track (i.e. filler) but another very strong song lyrically.

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball

Well I’m almost at work so I will have to listen to the rest later. At least she has left me an emotional wreck to enjoy my day.

Seven
I love her vocal on this and the production is rather lush - I think that's a hammond organ or Wurlitzer, and the strings sound real rather than synthesised but let's wait for the credits.

This is a 'road trip' type album - great for a long drive (hence why I think it gives me Scarlet's Walk vibes overall).

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
09 Seven

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball
07 Seven
08 August

This one has a bit more TO IT! Beautiful STRINGS. I think the more downtempo moments are less in tune with my tastes than these more summery quasi-exposions.

August
Okay, so this is the 'meet me behind the mall' one. Summer romance with wine metaphors. It really takes off towards the end musically, and the production is rather lush. I'm getting Cranberries vibes on this one (musically, not lyrically!).

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
09 Seven
08 August

This is me Trying

OMG I have cry. Seriously though this is just wondrous.

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
09 Seven
08 August
11 This is me Trying

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball
07 Seven
08 August
08 This Is Me Trying

back on stronger grounded in the midsection. I like the bassy throb of this. I'm not sure I'm in exactly the right frame of mind to take in the songs themselves right now.

well this is more like something that could've slotted quite comfortably into Lover, albeit with stronger songwriting. It's really good. I love the hint of electronica bubbling away beneath the acoustic guitar.

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball
07 Seven
08 August
08 This Is Me Trying
08.5 Illicit Affairs

Illicit Affairs

A bit more on the beaten track, this one. As @Jark says - could have been on her previous album. Which in my book is not a good thing necessarily given the strength of this album so far.

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
09 Seven
08 August
11 This is me Trying
07 Illicit Affairs

Usually any song that mentions teal would be an instant "too twee, get in the bin" but there's something I like about this.

"said I looked like an American singer..."

09 The 1
08.5 Cardigan
05 Exile
07 My Tears Ricochet
07 Mirrorball
07 Seven
08 August
08 This Is Me Trying
08.5 Illicit Affairs
08 Invisible String

I've read that Mad Woman is NOT GOOD so I'm EXCITED!

I've put "Red" on instead and I'm not really sure why. :confused:

I think the 8 physicals of this look SO GOOD. Is she releasing them in a nice boxset? Not that I'm tempted to buy 8 of the same CD, not in the slightest. :eyes:

Invisible String

This sounds like her earlier records (Speak Now etc. era). I like the ukulele (I think that's what I am hearing) and the middle 8 is great but overall, not a favourite so far. Let's hope it's a temporary dip.

08 The 1
09 Cardigan
07 Exile
10 My Tears Ricochet
09 Seven
08 August
11 This is me Trying
07 Illicit Affairs
06 Invisible String

I think the 8 physicals of this look SO GOOD. Is she releasing them in a nice boxset? Not that I'm tempted to buy 8 of the same CD, not in the slightest. :eyes:
I think I will buy 1 vinyl and 1 CD but I need to choose wisely :eyes:

You've already bought 2 bottles of Kylie rosé, give me your credit card before you do something you REGRET

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom