The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

You rely on what you get high on, and it lasts just as long as it serves you...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Long Gone Before Daylight is the moopy classic, but this is the commercial blockbuster, and pretty much everyone on moopy surely owns it by now, it's still in just about every HMV and Virgin sale ever.

I kind of associate it with Version 2.0 by Garbage, as they both heavily featured on the soundtrack of my early teens. I remember the first time I saw the 'adult' version of the MFG video on MTV late at night and being totally :o'd.

10 Paralyzed
10 Erase/Rewind
10 Explode
08 Starter
09 Hanging Around
10 Higher
08 Marvel Hill
10 My Favourite Game
09 Do You Believe?
10 Junk Of The Hearts

Last edited:
oh now THIS was good pop music...

I don't own it but we played it to death when I was working in music retail back in my STUDENT DAYS

She was a real cool chick too. Loved the videos

It has some real highs but the rest I just find so unbelievably soulless, especially for the band in question.

The second half of the album in particular (My Favourite Game aside) just merges into one long mechanical mess for me.

Their BEST SONG EVER remains "Communication", for me...

STUNNING

Do you have Long Gone Before Daylight?

I imagine you'd LOVE it, especially considering how much you rave about Wildflower.

It has some real highs but the rest I just find so unbelievably soulless, especially for the band in question.

The second half of the album in particular (My Favourite Game aside) just merges into one long mechanical mess for me.

This is one of the wrongest things I've ever read. I presume you're thinking of Higher as first half, otherwise you're actually insane.

Actually I can kinda see your point but I LOVE the chilly vibe on songs like Do You Believe.

That bit Funky wrote a few posts above about 'Communication'...

Oh that IS a joy, I'm just playing their best of as it happens and am enjoying it muchly.

The singles from Gran Turismo sound much better in the context of this than they do on the original album. They come across like a sharp injection of attitude in the middle of their career but then go away again before getting too samey.

I must say that everything on this best of since the Gran Turismo singles has been STUNNING.

Last edited:
This is one of the wrongest things I've ever read. I presume you're thinking of Higher as first half, otherwise you're actually insane.

Actually I can kinda see your point but I LOVE the chilly vibe on songs like Do You Believe.

I do class 'Higher' as being the final track on the first half, yes. I just really do find most of the album a very impersonal experience when listening.

I'd never thought about it before but I guess it's odd that I still think of albums I've only ever had on CD as having two sides to them. :D

I've just jumped from listening to their first couple of albums to this MASTERPIECE (I played it near constantly as a teenager).

The tonal shift! Clearly something pissed them off some time in the mid-90s.

I got this on vinyl for £12.99 earlier this year, I could have EJUCLATED ALL OVER MY LAPTOP at that price (because of course due to the PANDEMIC I haven't been in a physical record store in decades now)

I saw them play it live whenever they last toured (2018?) it was AMAZING AMAAAZING! and they threw in most of Long Gone Before Daylight as the encore too (to the confusion of a lot of the London audience, let's be honest). I loved every single second.

If I could knitpick, Hanging Around was the WRONG CHOICE of third single. It't too grungy for the in-roads they had made, but OH WELL!

10 Paralyzed (not an obvious start, by the 2nd bleakly alluring chorus it has you like quicksand)
10 Erase/Rewind (Nina's pop noir peak)
10 Explode (where this goes is simply disillusionment fantasia)
08 Starter
09 Hanging Around (I seem to recall this was beefed up a bit for the single release, and the video enhanced its starkly hookly proportions)
08 Higher
08 Marvel Hill
10 My Favourite Game
11 Do You Believe? (spaced out, post grunge pop finery)
10 Junk Of The Hearts (isn't this one of the prettiest things you've ever heard?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom