The Funky Friday Afterparty - "The Armada Of Groove" Friday 16.10.20 **8.15PM**

I had more of less entirely forgotten the existence of 'My Friend'. It's a hell of a tune.

My Friend is fab. Would not have known that was a Brandy sample - I'm a BAD R&B GAY.

great moment when the song kicks back in :disco:

otherwise not entirely sold I'm afraid

Now THIS track is the ABSOLUTE TITS

But you have to let it build up and listen in full.............

4. Easy

From the 4th album "Lovebox", an album filled with dancefloor stompers but this is the EASY highlight. A major disco house stomper with added glitterball. Another live favourite.

The single was actually remade with a verse with Sunshine Anderson on vocals, and it appears to have disappeared without trace. It was great, but it took the club atsmosphere out of it. The original should be labelled a disco classic.

There's live versions of this all over YouTube and I recommend them. Saint Saviour doing an electrofied version at Glastonbury is quite memorable...

Ooh, liking this stripped back-ish bit just after four minutes.

I'm bopping to Easy (and yes the piano breakdown is quite the disco delight) but to me it feels more dated than the earlier tracks

4. Easy

From the 4th album "Lovebox", an album filled with dancefloor stompers but this is the EASY highlight. A major disco house stomper with added glitterball. Another live favourite.

The single was actually remade with a verse with Sunshine Anderson on vocals, and it appears to have disappeared without trace. It was great, but it took the club atsmosphere out of it. The original should be labelled a disco classic.

This was my favourite until they came up with the black light album - the breakdown is one of the best ever.

5. Love Sweet Sound

Chose a live version here because there's not a lot of videos out there. From the 5th album "Soundboy Rock". I remember reading that it was originally Candi Staton on vocals for this but I can't find any evidence of this anymore.

Soundboy Rock was GA moving further and further into dance territory. Hardly any chillout on this album at all.

5. Love Sweet Sound

Chose a live version here because there's not a lot of videos out there. From the 5th album "Soundboy Rock". I remember reading that it was originally Candi Staton on vocals for this but I can't find any evidence of this anymore.

Soundboy Rock was GA moving further and further into dance territory. Hardly any chillout on this album at all.
Who's the singer?

I'm never entirely sure about live dance music with an actual singer there.

can totally imagine Candi Staton on this! all of the BLEEPS and BLOOPS are sending me into ORBIT! And what I see, looking down from this elevation, is... GAY :disco:

I'm never entirely sure about live dance music with an actual singer there.

I know what you mean but it can work. I could have included an entire playlist of Saint Saviour performing for Glastonbury, she's mesmerizing.

6. Song 4 Mutya

OK, everyone knows this right? Also from Soundboy Rock. I never really liked this at the time because I thought it was too poppy for GA. Time has been VERY KIND to this song. I love it now.

I've got PRINCE singing Hot Thing to me
I KNOW EVERY LINE

Song 4 Mutya is an absolute blinder of an "I'm going it alone now bitches!" single/statement for Mutya (Mut-e-yah) and the layers of the lyrics are many and meta. fantastic song which deserved to be bigger than it was. it was one of the sounds of that summer for me.

This should have number one for weeks. I blame Mutya.

Surprise cameo interlude from...

7. Roisin Murphy - You Know Me Better

I thought it would be good to represent all the great tuneage that Andy "Groove Armada" Cato has had his hands on over the years. He also procuced "Let Me Know", one of SEB's albums and tracks from Will Young's fabulous Echos album, among many other tracks and remixes.

Just checked on Wikipedia and apparently they said Estelle "just didn't nail it at all". Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom