The Kate Bush Singles Rate: The Countdown

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
Well here we are! Sixteen of you voted and we’ll start slowly working our way down towards the top twenty sync listen a week on Wednesday (unless I’m at work :))

So without further ado...

35. Ne t’enfuis pas

Kate’s little french affair was only released, unsurprisingly, in France and Canada back in 1983. However a 12” vinyl version was released last November, and I’m sure @Iguana has a signed copy somewhere :tongueout: Neither releases made an impact in the charts :(

The song translates as “Don’t Run Away” or “Don’t Flee” and tells the story of a woman who is worried about her lover who is about to leave and wrestles with her conscience on whether or not she should make him stay. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

A few of you hadn’t heard of this which explains the low result. Well, either that or you’re not fond of FORREN MUCK.

Average score: 4.8125
Highest score: 8 (Raining on Me)
Lowest score: 0 (Tisch, funky, Ag)

Does anybody know WHY she randomly decided to write and record a song in French?

I've never seen any footage of her discussing or even acknowledging it.

Does anybody know WHY she randomly decided to write and record a song in French?

I've never seen any footage of her discussing or even acknowledging it.

I've not seen her discuss it either. She's always included French in her songs, from the Cathy Demos up to Aerial. I suspect it was just an attempt at marketing her in France, albeit a misguided one

Oh I vote for any old French shit but this really isn't her finest moment. It's a bit INDUSTRIAL and ploddy.

"je viens comme un chat" - she does talk about cumming a lot, doesn't she

34. The Man I Love

What on earth is there to say about this? Apparently it was a George Gershwin cover and was recorded for Larry Adler’s ‘The Glory of Gershwin’ album in 1994.

CHARMING.

Average score: 5.3125
Highest score: 9 (Peekaboo)
Lowest score: 0 (Tisch, funky, Ag)

There’s really nothing about it online, it seems to be quite the forgotten single, although it did chart at 27 in the UK which wasn’t bad for our Kate in the 90s.

Yep, a pleasant curio but nothing more.

The album that spawned it also features Cher's take on It Ain't Necessarily So, which is a really nice vocal from her.

@ButterTart cry wanking to this low position AS WE SPEAK :(
Not a massive fan of the song but it saddens me to know that Moopy isn't superficial enough to give it points purely for the fact she brought her a-game looks wise. The fact that you could watch that video and not even want to pop the tip in means Moopy is even gayer than I thought.

Due to a late surge in votes by Philip Pullman stans, we regret to inform you that 'Lyra' has won.

I do like 'The Man I Love' but then my taste veers into 'elderly theatre gay' a little too often for my comfort.

The Peter Gabriel version of 'Summertime' from that Gershwin album is QUITE good too.

Will Lyra live to fight another day? Find out TOMORROW!

33. Lyra

Sorry @ButterTart

Recorded in 2007 for the soundtrack of The Golden Compass (although was only used in the closing credits :D) this was a very last minute project for Kate and the whole thing was completed within ten days. It was also a chart SMASH at #187 and was nominated as Best Original Song for the International Press Academy’s Satellite Award :eyes:

Average score: 5.75
Highest score: 9 (Raining On Me, ButterTart, COB)
Lowest score: 0 (funky, Ag)

It's so funny to me that this lazy bitch hides away for decades at a time between albums, but somehow she was coaxed into the studio to dash THAT off for a movie that completely and utterly flopped. :D

I can only assume luvverly Bertie loved the books.

I STILL find it quite odd that for all projects Kate JUMPED AT THE CHANCE to do, it was a song for The Golden Compass soundtrack :D

Is she known to be a big fan of the BOOKS or something?

She's talked about how she literally just calls people up and asks them to work with her (and is always surprised they say yes, apparently). So imagine you just do the same to her

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom