The Talented Mr Ripley

• Thread starter Mr Betty Draper
  • Start date

VOTE

• Total voters
That hardly says anything though! I think it's wonderful, Damon is so odious and sinister. And the most awful thing is you identify with his character and his horrible character traits. It's quite chilly. Fabulous performance from Jude Law, and Paltrow and Blanchett are good as ever.

Brilliant ? Hmmm, overrated I thought...it DID have good performances (the sexual tension between Damon- Law was cracking) and I actually really liked the plot but something didn't really gel with it for me

It was a LONG time ago though that I saw it.

One of my favourite films. Matt Damon hasn't come anywhere near this performance since.

Paltrow is shit as EVER in it.

It's the only thing I've ever thought Jude Law is SUPERB in.

This is actually the only film I think Paltrow has been GREAT in. I loved the way she played it. Normally I hate the sour faced bitch.

Oh i LIKE her

She was wonderful in "The Royal Tenenbaums"

Gwynnie sitting in the lockedf bathroom in the Royal Tenembaums smoking fags was FAB

I quite like this film, i mean, as Matt Damon goes, well its no STUCK ON YOU, but then, what could top that?

Best bit is when she is puffing on the inhaler nicotine thingy next to the window talking to her mum and then when her back is turned she gets the cig from outside the window :D

She ROBBED Cate Blanchett of an Oscar, so I hate her :evil:

And in turn Blanchett then robbed my darling Laura Linney of one last year, and so the vicious cycle continues... :moopy:

Patrick said:
And in turn Blanchett then robbed my darling Laura Linney of one last year, and so the vicious cycle continues... :moopy:
GOD BLESS LAURA LINNEY

And thats ALL i got to say about THAT

I actually think Laura Linney is a better actress than Blanchett and THAT'S a controversial comment if EVER I've said one...

cwej said:
I actually think Laura Linney is a better actress than Blanchett and THAT'S a controversial comment if EVER I've said one...

I haven't seen enough Linney to really compare. I LOVE her in what I have seen though. "You Can Count On Me" especially.

cwej said:
Hardly, Linney is HIGHLY respected in the filmy arty circles. Everyone loves her.

I would argue that Blanchett does accents better. I've only ever really heard Laura Linney speak in her natural voice, wheras Cate Blanchett seems to have a great ear for different voices.

I know it's only one part of acting, but I think it's an important one.

Yes yes she does a good accent. Another reason I want to see Romance & Cigarettes. :(

I think he means back in '98 when she was nominated for "Elizabeth" but lost to Gywneth for "Shakespeare in love"

Patrick said:
Hardly, Linney is HIGHLY respected in the filmy arty circles. Everyone loves her.

THESE days. 10 years ago she was widely regarded as RUBBISH.

Frozen said:
I think he means back in '98 when she was nominated for "Elizabeth" but lost to Gywneth for "Shakespeare in love"

I think Patrick realised that, but meant that when she was nominated again, she beat out someone more deserving.

It does seem to happen quite a lot at The Oscars. They award one to someone who didn't deserve it, and the person who really did is subsequently awarded one for a film he/she wasn't that great in, thereby snubbing someone else, and starting the cycle over again.

I agree entirely lolly.

Except with Annette Bening and Hilary Wank where they let the inferior actress win both times for NO APPARENT REASON.

Swank was GREAT in 'Boys Don't Cry' and alright in 'Million Dollar Baby'. Bening was OTT in 'Being Julia', Winslet or Moreno should have won that year.

As I've said umpteen times on here before - "The Talented Mr Ripley" is my favourite film ever. I love everything about it really - and Matt Damon is absolutely stunning in it.

I actually feel immense sympathy for Ripley in the film

I feel sorry for him too in places. Although not so much when he's beating people to death with oars.

Oh yes, as I said earlier I LOVE her in this film. I love how as things progress she's increasingly distant with Tom as her suspicion grows. It wasn't just a case of "OMG LIGHTBULB MOMENT YOU'RE A PSYCHO!" she really captured the increasing discomfort she feels around him excellently.

Paltrow is shit as EVER in it.

It's the only thing I've ever thought Jude Law is SUPERB in.
Agreed on both counts. She's absolute DRIVEL in this - he is really quite SPECIAL.

Cate acts her completely off the screen - NATCH.

10 for Jude Law's inner thigh when he's on the sunbed ALONE

I think Jude is career best, but he's still playing essentially the same character he almost always does. It's just a perfect match of actor/character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom