The Talented Mr Ripley

• Thread starter Mr Betty Draper
  • Start date

VOTE

• Total voters
Great movie, one of my all time favorites. I really sympathised with Ripley's character and the poor musician he killed in the end.

I feel like the ghost of Sebastian Flyte HAUNTS this film, but I just watched it again and it really is brilliant. So tightly plotted and gripping from start to finish.

And I'm sorry, I'm no Gwynnie fan but you really CANNOT say she was shit in this. Her performance is superb. The whole cast is wonderful, actually.

I watched this today for the first time in years... despite the many suspensions of disbelief required to accept the plot, a complete banger of a film.

entire main cast acting their little Italian socks off (Gwyneth very much included). the way Minghella shot Italy was stunning, it really feels like you're watching period cinema. Jude Law turning from charming to grotesque on a dime, the COSTUMES... Dickie in the blue suit, Tom in the polo neck, everything Cate wore (!!!) - and what a pleasure to see her play such a ditz.

and I do love an "evil gay gets away with everything, but goes to bed alone" ending. :disco:

I would definitely rank this as Gwyneth's best acting performance, from back in the days when she actually made an effort every now and again.

Why? When?!

Agreed on both counts. She's absolute DRIVEL in this - he is really quite SPECIAL.

Cate acts her completely off the screen - NATCH.

What a load of rot in retrospect!

This has grown on me loads over the years. The casting is pitch perfect, with everyone playing slightly against type which gives it an appropriately unsettling and unexpected feel. It looks ravishing and the score is sublime.

I've grown to love GP in general these days, but this is one of my favourite screen turns of hers :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom