The War in Ukraine

We’re fools to trust Turkey. I doubt they would lift a finger in the event of a real war. And they still occupy an EU member state.

HANG ON
I’m just finding this out - did we know there is a comedy movie on Netflix of Zelenskyy as the President of Ukraine??!

I see the US are now giving Ukraine long range missiles.

GOOD! BOMB RUSSIA!

Fucks sake.

I know Ukraine has faded from the front pages, but you have to assume Russia are going to take full advantage of that fact.

Screenshot_20220616-211244_BBC News.jpg

This EU candidacy thing is a nice gesture I guess, but fuck knows how they’re actually going to progress it when they’ve been fucking Albania and North Macedonia around for years…

Odd video from the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence. I’m not sure how happy Abba or Carl XVI Gustaf will be.

Serbia is a bit different though as they’re a good way further from accession, plus their government basically supports Russia.

Macedonia and Albania are much more justified in being pissed off, having been screwed over for years by political gamesmanship, first from Greece and now from Bulgaria.

The case of Albania is different in the sense that they haven't been blocked by either Greece or Bulgaria, but Netherlands and France and then tied in a bundle enlargement with North Macedonia, in order to make it less possible for the west to get an influx of people moving there to work, based on the assumption that it could take ages for North Macedonia to sort out its claims on neighbours' culture and heritage.

Good! It’ll be interesting to see what Moscow’s response is. There was a pretty big cyber attack in Lithuania yesterday after the Kaliningrad SHENANIGANS but apparently it wasn’t related to the Russian government despite their threats..

The US seem to think Putin's plan is still to take most of Ukraine, but it's going to be VERY SLOW.

Russia recently defaulted on debt payments. It's slow suicide SURELY.

I don’t hear enough about Russia’s economy. I think this is important because we need to understand the long term impact of this. We need to understand if it’s possible to truly punish a rogue state. Because in theory Russia is fucked based on their current position, but Putin continuously acts like it’s all under control.

:basil: but it does read like they're building a false economy that's doomed to burst. This must be why the West brought in new sanctions this week on gold, although that was a little LATE, and the knock on effect of that might take a while to hit the ruble. I assume it all depends on how long other countries hold firm on not relying on them for oil.

Putin's war chest is allowing Russia to keep going for now but it's expected the economy will contract by around 10% this year.

Their industries are beginning to suffer as they can't import high-tech parts and electrical components. Car production is down by over 90% and they've resorted to scrapping environmental and safety standards in new vehicles like air bags and anti-lock brakes due to lack of materials.

The aviation industry is also suffering for the same reason. Some of the airlines are cannibalising their fleets for parts to keep some of their other planes airborne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom