Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ooh Aah… Just An Ellie Bit

Super talented triple threat
This is getting quite a good response. Watching it tomorrow, but in anticipation I just finished Top Gun for the first time in over 10 years. Fucking hell it’s even worse than I remembered, so there’s a low bar for the new one being an improvement.

I’m gonna try and squeeze this on Sunday. I want to try and watch the original tonight, I don’t think I ever watched it.

what did you think Ellie? Planning to see this but need to remind myself of the first one before

Really enjoyed it, probably not as much as I thought I would. Agree it's too long, by the 90 minute mark I was getting slightly restless waiting for the enemy to turn up.

Felt bad for Val, his role could have been slightly bigger.

I just really wanted Rooster to say Maverick could be his wingman anytime. :shy:

I wasn't sure Val would be in this, he's in quite a bad way nowadays isn't he? :( I suppose this was filmed a couple of years ago now, with the various delays.

This was alright, extremely dumb and formulaic. Which is I guess the point but it’s not for me. I can’t really sit and cheer for Americans shooting literally faceless enemies.

Hmm I guess I'll try to get this on streaming in the end, I never had any real love for Top Gun, it was a few years too early for me I guess.

BUT apparently it has had the smallest 2nd week decline for ANY movie that opened on $100M+ (124M->86M). So I guess it might have legs? (or I'm sure it has wings, as shitty journalists will QUIP)

The box office for this is INSANE
Even my sister who rarely visits a cinema turned up at my house yesterday raving about this (and saying it was a scene for scene remake of the original :basil:)

I think I'll wait for streaming too though. I can only take so much Tommy and I think I'll save myself for the next Mission: Impossible(s)

It is NOT a scene for scene remake of the original at all, but it’s nowhere near as great as a lot of people have been saying.

I don’t normally agree with Guy Lodge at all, in fact recently I’ve been the total opposite, but I agree with this:

It is NOT a scene for scene remake of the original at all, but it’s nowhere near as great as a lot of people have been saying.

I don’t normally agree with Guy Lodge at all, in fact recently I’ve been the total opposite, but I agree with this:

Well it certainly has enough scenes that replicate the original from what she was saying.

She didn't say that was a BAD thing.

There are a couple of homages with the motorbike and one thing with Goose’s son. They use a bit of Kenny Loggins as expected but the soundtrack as a whole is better and less repetitive. Other than that I don’t think so. Top Gun itself is just like a terrible music video with incredibly poor writing and dialogue. I have no idea why it’s so popular. It’s slap bang in the era of my childhood favourites but it has maybe aged the worst.

I see the Gaga song didn’t end up doing that well - or at least the Wikipedia page opening paragraphs just say:

"Hold My Hand" has charted within the top 20 in Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, and Switzerland.

So I guess that’s the best news they have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom