United Kingdom 2021: James Newman - Embers

I thought the likelihood was that they wouldn't be! But nothing official just yet I don't think

I hope we go for someone different, but I'm expecting him again.

Last year it seemed like we put in a bit more effort than usual, especially with the staging concept; I just wasn't convinced by the live performances I saw.

It's the UK at Eurovision. The possibility of an announcement EXCITED you?
Well I am SOMEWHAT looking forward to the rumours going into overdrive as usual, only to end up with something dreadful again that limps home in 24th. It’s become tradition and it feels wrong for any UK entry to do different.

And as for whether or not James is back, I’d have thought it’d be up to BMG wouldn’t it? Last Breath was ALRIGHT, nice verses which lead to a disappointing chorus that would’ve got a respectable (for the UK) score with the juries but decimated in the televote.

I've been operating under the assumption that it'll be James. I don't see any reason the BBC would ditch him unless he himself didn't want to do it any more, or the very unlikely event that they actually had a bigger plan for 2021.

What have you heard to make you think differently @dUb?

I actually don't know! :D Probably best to ignore

Well I know nothing, but I wouldn't read too much into the radio silence. That's just standard BBC.

I’m sure @dUb will be telling us “omg I’ve heard a rumour that it’s ADELE!!!1” next week :eyes:

Reactions: VoR
I’m sure @dUb will be telling us “omg I’ve heard a rumour that it’s ADELE!!!1” next week :eyes:
I'm very careful with the accuracy of what I post actually. When have I ever not backed a winner?

Reactions: VoR
I hope it is James Newman so we can avoid the yearly routine:

February 3rd, some Twitter gay: I can’t say too much but i can say that this is a potential game-changer for the U.K.

March 5th, same Twitter gay: it’ll be worth the wait, just heard the song and it’s massive ;) People are going to be surprised

Then March 17th, day before the deadline and oh look it’s Will Mellor with a ballad

He's said that he'd love to do it again, but I'd imagine the BBC is hedging its bets to see what song he comes up with / anyone else who expresses an interest.

I'd be happy to have him back as a songwriter but maybe with another singer. He didn't really have the most charisma...

Reactions: D5K
I think I listened to it once when the song was released

I listen to My Last Breath quite regularly.
Yeah, it's one of the only ones from last year I don't actively detest.

Our head of delegation was on some podcast the other day and he said something about restoring our reputation with a couple of left hand side results and then starting to look to more known performers to submit material. He sounds a bit more clued in than his predecessors but, as @SDF says, he shouldn't be afraid to fall back on the tried and true formula of 'woman + banger = success'.

Our head of delegation was on some podcast the other day and he said something about restoring our reputation with a couple of left hand side results and then starting to look to more known performers to submit material.

His heart’s in the right place but I roll my eyes so hard at this softly-softly approach.

Most countries that have had a proper reversal of fortune have done so by taking a risk or just going all-in year on year.

I’ve heard people say that we should be aiming for the Dutch model of building up gradually to a win, but they’re forgetting that it all started with a big gear-change in Anouk.

I keep seeing headlines from The Frock Destroyers saying they'd love to do it; I assume that's just their own publicity machine and not a serious suggestion?

I do genuinely believe that the BBC is long over its “that’s so Eurovision” phase, or at least the team directly responsible for the Eurovision entry.

It knows what makes a good Eurovision entry, it just doesn’t have the resources or (more importantly) competence to make it happen.

Frock Destroyers will not get a look in.

I don’t really get what “following the Dutch plan” means, Eurovision voters don’t think “well this country has been doing well for the last few years and working hard so I’ll vote for them”, you just need a GOOD SONG AND PERFORMER

if the BBC think they can only do that by getting someone famous then they are missing the point. We’ve certainly seen the stunt casting not pay off in the 2010s, with the possible exception of Blue, but that was a decent or at least vaguely relevant song in relative terms.

it’s not like James is actually a big name, hedging their bets to see if he has a good song is a decent tactic

I think they’re saying “follow the Dutch model” just because we have also had a decade or so of being shit

we should follow the Portugal model - be shit until suddenly you find a good song and win. If anyone ever demonstrated how the song was more important than the person, it’s Salvador :D

I think the Dutch model is a case of “they didn’t qualify for nine years then it was followed by: 9th, 2nd, brief non qualifier, 11th, 11th, 18th, 1st”

I’d rather build somewhat of a good reputation of the contest in the UK before we win again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom