United Kingdom 2023: Mae Muller - I Wrote a Song

How will it do?

• Total voters
Mae said her team letting her tour will depend on the success of this album. She killed her [live] career dead in front of 160 million people so I can’t see much demand for Mae Contain Filler 2024, tbh.

Last edited:
Glad to her rising a bit in the midweeks and grabbing some last minute downloads.
me too! she’s also back at banquet records signing more personalised vinyls and she’s going live on Insta while writing them later like she did the other day. cute.

MegaDolly too busy wanking over Sam Ryder to care about ‘AR MAE’S #1 ITUNES SMASH :(

The “pls donate to charity” type promo is killing me. Even if the album scrapes the Top40 after all the begging it will be considered a flop given all the promo and opportunities she’s had. It doesn’t matter how nice she is.

Yeah but she has an album out, that looks set to go top 40. And the chance to perform on Graham Norton, Capital Summertime ball etc and actually ok enough streams across her latest singles etc.

Sam Ryder aside, isn’t that the most success any UK entrant has had post the competition since like, Gina G?

Why would someone begrudge her that, as many potential (good) entrants will weigh up the benefits of entering based on results…so to attract quality acts simply as a fan of the contest surely people would want her to have success?

The BBC might have trouble approaching another record label as it might not be worth their time or money. Mae’s team won’t have recouped the cost and 2000 album sales after all the promo will dent it further.

As nice as she might be I can fully see Mae’s career being shelved after this album.

Last edited:
There really aren't that many 'different routes to success' that guarantee a new artist the kind of promo blitz Mae has had the last fortnight. Is the belief here that she would have had more success for the album from not doing Eurovision? :D
No but her record label would have saved the money and put it elsewhere. They hoped she would become an international pop sensation after I Wrote A Song.

Record labels tend to allot a certain amount of money for priority artists whatever happens. It's a complete (but characteristic) misread of how they work to think they just look at that as money they could have saved.

The BBC might have trouble approaching another record label as it might not be worth their time or money. Mae’s team won’t have recouped the cost and 2000 album sales after all the promo will dent it further.

As nice as she might be I can fully see Mae’s career being shelved after this album.

I personally disagree, I’d say she has enough of a following now to happily work in music continuously (not necessarily on a large label).

I just fail to understand why this seems to make you happy that she isn’t doing well, when her success would only be a good thing for someone who follows the contest.

But anyhoo, carry on.

I haven’t said “I hope her album flops” or anything like that. If the OCC hadn’t released the midweek positions on Monday she wouldn’t be making the Top100 on Friday.

Of course the label would have HOPED she'd be an international star, although I'm sure expectations were lowered after the contest. But don't they essentially take a punt on ANY new act?

No but her record label would have saved the money and put it elsewhere. They hoped she would become an international pop sensation after I Wrote A Song.
Do you really think that? They got a hit single out of it and an artist with a significantly increased profile. I doubt they were expecting an Olivia Rodrigo style global breakthrough.

Not everybody can be Blanka.

Of course the label would have HOPED she'd be an international star, although I'm sure expectations were lowered after the contest. But don't they essentially take a punt on ANY new act?
EMI/Capitol said they are using TikTok to discover and sign new young female artists all the time including Mae Stephens and Caity Baser. It’s only a matter of time before their focus shifts off Mae and onto them and other female artists. It’s a ruthless business.

I'm predicting Mae will be dropped by the end of the year and we will have to collectively grovel at @MegaDolly's feet for forgiveness for IGNORING THEIR PROPHECIES

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom