Westworld (HBO)

Well what was explained to me was

that she was also part of Ford's effort to have the robots rise up which is the same as what Arnold wanted but thirty years later to give the robots time to develop their own will. Maeve was supposed to infiltrate the real world but she changed her mind at the last minute to go find her daughter.

I've had to consult Wikipedia after almost every episode! :D

Well it was nice that some stuff finally kicked off, but that finale left me feeling like I'd just watched a very complicated 10 hour prologue. Not sure how interested I'll still be two years(!) from now when they finally pick it back up again.

I'm so confused how they're going to justify the park staying open in any form when literally dozens of people now appear to have been shot by the robots. Also annoyed how they NEVER really justified Felix going along with and openly assisting a Robotic killing spree, however fabulous Meave might be.

On the whole, as well made and acted as the show was, it really suffered from too much ambiguity and not enough solid plot development. Never knowing what anyone's real motivations are does not make for a satisfying 10 hours of viewing, and there were so many times when I was just completely lost. Meave was my favourite plot string not only because Thandie was unexpectedly wonderful in the role, but also because hers was the only storyline that felt like it was consistently showing momentum.

Best characters/performances:

1. Queen Thandie
2. Evan Rachel Wood
3. Jeffrey Wright
4. Anthony Hopkins
5. Poor Sidse :( (Once I realised she was actually cast Danish and not just doing really terrible accent work)

Worst

1. Intolerable British guy
2. Rubbish young CEO woman
3. William's annoying brother in law
4. Felix and beard
5. Man In Black, not for a bad performance by Ed Harris, but just for being a really tedious and repetitive plot strand that ultimately went nowhere very interesting. I feel like there are much better ways in which Dolores could have come to her self-realisation.

Last edited:
I don't get how none of the technology had evolved from William's original time in Westworld to now as the MiB.

Or am I missing something?!

Just give me more THANDIE! Can't believe I'd ever say that. At least she's got over a year to recover from all that hard work she put in.

The multiple timeline reveal was somehow both wearily predictable and utterly nonsensical at the same time. It really reminds me of Lost in that there's strong elements but they just have too many balls in the air from a writing perspective. Trim some fat and narrow the focus!

Thandie is truly LIFE.

"Oh for FUCKS sake darling, you're not one of us, you're one of THEM".

Last edited:
Felix was obviously smitten with Maeve and was just following her like a lost puppy.

The technology changed, none of the new robots have mechanical parts inside them while the first gen have a steam punk look.

I agree with everything said above. The finale did feel satisfying though, but I felt rather finished with the show.

Felix was obviously smitten with Maeve and was just following her like a lost puppy.

Fine, but I felt like that needed a little bit more development to explain why he'd still aid and abet her when she was literally having multiple actual human beings killed.

She's had years of being turned away from VIP sections to help find that SASS within her :disco:

And by the way, have they ever explained why a black brothel owner in the wild west has a British accent?

And by the way, have they ever explained why a black brothel owner in the wild west has a British accent?

Thandie's got enough on her plate to be messing with a dialect coach.

She missed the British Soap Awards FFS.

Best characters/performances:
1. Queen Thandie

Worst
1. Intolerable British guy

Absolutely for both. I can't work out the British writer twat, was he supposed to be written to be that terrible? Everything else in the show was so perfect and meticulous it seems like a massive oversight to have someone so clunky in there.

Evan Rachel Wood gets a best actress nomination at the Golden Globes, Thandie gets best supporting actress, opposite fellow deserving Brits Olivia Colman and Lena Headey. It gets a best drama nod, but nothing for the male cast members.

Thandie won the Critic's Choice Award last night and she DIDN'T SHOW UP TO COLLECT IT.

What bizarre alternative universe are we living in?

Last edited:
Thandie really was LIFE. Absolutely blinding performance from beginning to end. WHO KNEW!?

Evan Rachel Wood was excellent too, and had a fair bit of heavy lifting to do acting wise.

I absolutely loved the show. I watched it over a week or so, and that sort of time frame worked well for it as I hadn't forgotten too much of what was going on.

Were you able to tell the two timelines thing? It's always interesting how someone who isn't on Reddit and reading recaps reacts to the twists.

Were you able to tell the two timelines thing? It's always interesting how someone who isn't on Reddit and reading recaps reacts to the twists.

Not really... So many things were amiss that it didn't necessarily feel like it would be as simple as that, and I definitely didn't think Ed Harris was William until the reveal, and then everything fell into place.

I'm usually awfully clueless about plots and their twists until those five enlightening seconds before they're revealed

and like RB I really enjoyed the full run and didn't notice or wasn't bothered about the supposed flaws all the negative (PrEP) nancies pointed out in this thread. the only major downside is waiting till 2018 for the next installment

I find the criticism of Maeve's tour around the facility interesting... Would she have been spotted? Probably. But the entire show requires you to completely suspend your disbelief so I don't really see the problem. It was a truly exquisite scene. Actors, set, props and music all coming together to create something truly beautiful.

Thandie is the only solo nominee in the Screen Actors Guild, in Best Actress alongside Winona and the 11 girl, Claire Foy and Robin Wright.

Westworld up for best cast, alongside Downtown Abbey, The Crown, Game of Thrones and Stranger Things (People vs OJ Simpson ROBBED)

Okay only just caught up but WOW. :D Can I just add to the declarations that Thandie Newton is fucking amazing in this

Last edited:
Oh wow, already? I thought we had to wait two years for the new season.

I read some of the posts above and I realize I don’t remember the details anymore. Maybe will have to rewatch some of it.

I read some of the posts above and I realize I don’t remember the details anymore. Maybe will have to rewatch some of it.

I always just read the plot summaries on wiki. I've never been bothered to rewatch anything, heck, I even skipped half a season of Walking Dead because I found it so boring and just wanted to get on with it

I also don't remember much but Thandi's cap thingy is fabulous.

It's a year and a half.

I think Samurai world is confirmed....

Or maybe not, I just had a look on Wikipedia and half the cast is unknown whether they will comeback for season 2.

But it seems they got a discount Skarsgard to go with their discount Hemsworth.

watching tonight :o one review below average and one above in Danish newspapers so far, what's the word on the webz, @Phoenix ?

I've heard positive things, I think it's in the seventies on metacritics. They keep referring to season 1 as the prequel and that now the show will actually begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom