What do you think of when you think of RAVE?

octophone

Prole Art Threat
head-the-untold-story-of-the-rise-and-fall-of-rave-pioneers-altern-8-body-image-1476442242.jpg

Glow-sticks? Gurns? Specific tunes? Help me out here, Moops.

Early 90s, overuse of the number 8, ecstasy, the Criminal Justice Act, the M25, smilees, illicit rave tapes, flyers, ecstasy, white people with dreadlocks, David Cameron, warehouses, ecstasy, baggy clothes, glow in the dark, ecstasy.

Depends on if we’re talking of 90’s rave (which I never experienced) or the current (not so much anymore) underground dance scene?

Either way I’d say techno and drugs.

Obviously I was way too young at its peak. That said as a teenager the culture of it (the flyers, the tapes, the clothes) was everywhere. I don't know if that was quite specific to my geography or not.

I may have eventually attended one or two in my youth.

JOLLY GOOD CLEAN FAMILY FUN.

I would say the word rave is still very much connected with the 90s movement, illegal parties in fields and warehouses, smilies, MDMA, 8th hand recordings of events etc. - even with the proliferation of modern electronic dance music that word and my immersion in said culture for 20+ years its still very much a word I associate with that specific UK scene and culture.

Obviously I was way too young at its peak. That said as a teenager the culture of it (the flyers, the tapes, the clothes) was everywhere. I don't know if that was quite specific to my geography or not.

I may have eventually attended one or two in my youth.

JOLLY GOOD CLEAN FAMILY FUN.
And at the same time I thought this was what nightclubs all looked like

2B3F6118-90E6-4AF2-A919-0C32750451F9.jpeg

I remember thinking rave was just dirty, sweaty and grimy. But then my point of comparison was the polish of 80s pop and ultra sanitised SAW immediately before rave kicked in.

Plus it probably was dirty, sweaty and grimy anyway.

I associate it with my eldest sister going to fields and warehouses for “events” and the music pumping out of her room. She once came into my room drunk after one to chat to me having sneaked by my parents and I was scared of her as I was very young and hadn’t seen a real drunk person. She was raging I called for help from mum.

Ok how does Happy Hardcore fit into this? Is it totally separate or is it a sub genre or what. Where does I Want To Be A Hippy figure into it?

Ok how does Happy Hardcore fit into this? Is it totally separate or is it a sub genre or what. Where does I Want To Be A Hippy figure into it?

Definite crossover - happy hardcore was a good 20bpm faster than acid house so attracted a more masochistic audience!

As someone who has never partaken in rave drugs, what IS the gurning and chewing all about? Does it affect the jaw muscles?

A friend once told me that it made them want to chew the inside of their cheeks. I wouldn't know if that's true or whether they were just taking the piss out of me for asking a stupid question.

A friend once told me that it made them want to chew the inside of their cheeks. I wouldn't know if that's true or whether they were just taking the piss out of me for asking a stupid question.
You'd have to do quite a lot though to get that bad! Then again you'd need to do a lot to get into some of the hardcore rave stuff.

As someone who has never partaken in rave drugs, what IS the gurning and chewing all about? Does it affect the jaw muscles?
Basically it makes you tic. For me, it’s licking my lips and grinding my teeth, for some people it’s as if they’re trying to eat their own eyelids.
Anyway, the answer to the title question is ‘D.E.V.I.L - the devil’.

Someone I knew took 10 pills each. Come 6am a guy I knew had chewed his lips so much they'd swollen so much he looked like a frog.

Last edited:

Ecstasy/MDMA (probably the most popular party drug). It causes bruxism. I took it once in LA and woke up the next day with the insides of my cheeks in TATTERS. Never again.

I've done MDMA and I can't remember eating the inside of my mouth - maybe I just didn't do enough! I do remember it tasting like absolute spew though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom