What things do you insist on spending more on?

Tetris-Rock

one of those "they/thems"
I think everyone has those things where they are happy to go cheap and cheerful, and then there are the other things that they absolutely insist on paying a bit more for in order to get better quality.

Since i've started earning a decent salary, i've realised that i've become a bit of slag for fancy bread - not fresh from the bakery stuff but the one I regularly get in Sainsburys only has about 12-14 slices and costs like £1.80. It is delicious but I also recognise that this is somewhat ridiculous.

Also, and this is a bit less frivolous, but I now insist on shelling out for good quality shoes. I used to piss away money on really poorly made shoes / boots on the high street that would fall apart. I insist on spending a bit extra for a brand with a good reputation.

What about you? The more absurd the better.

I am definitely with you on shoes. Jackets as well, I don't mind buying t-shirts, hoodies etc. from Primark, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one of their coats.

I am now at the point where I can't buy anything household related unless it is the smart home option, which means my lightbulb costs are through the roof, since they all need to be Hue. I'm also eyeing up smart blinds for when we move into the new flat. Also, my audio equipment can't be cheap either. My sound bar cost almost as much as my TV and my headphones are all as expensive as I can justify them being knowing there is a chance I could lose them tomorrow and need to replace them with something at least as good.

shoes GIF

Yup. Definitely shoes!

The clothes/shoes that I run in. The rest of my clothes are pretty much all from a thrift store or Target (similar to Primark I think), but I get nicer running stuff. It just feels so much better

Pretty much everything but don’t really care much when it comes to food.

Clothes used to be my main thing, but during this past year I’ve been buying cheap stuff to wear at home and barely anything else. There’s no need for new things considering we’re at home most of the time.

I will spend extra on a pair of jeans since they last me a while.

Some food stuff, like bread which I get from a bakery and it’s more than double the price but I’m one person and the taste is so much better. Also tea, I hate cheap tea.

I do own some nice things. My satchel and my boots were both three figures, as were my previous sunglasses. Anything else I'm Aldi and Primark all the way.

So long lasting accessories that don't really go in and out of fashion. Food gets eaten, clothes get worn...

I need some blinds too (if they’re what I think they are), I don’t know where to look for them.

I guess I do get (comparatively) expensive bread, but its still so much cheaper than eating out for lunch, it hardly feels like an expense

I generally don’t do Fast Fashion at all. Although strangely one of my fav skirts was £7 in Sainsbury’s, and of course things like socks, but otherwise most things I wouldn’t trust if the RRP is below £30 and no pair of shoes below £50. Can’t be dealing with shoes that fall apart. I’ll often go into 3 figures if it’s something I really like.

Also any time I get a new handbag it’s either from Radley or Michael Kors. Always in a sale though.

I'm an Apple product addict, so that's one.

Also wine - not stupidly expensive but I can't be dealing with cheap red wine in my 40s dahling.

Some kitchen utensils - particularly knives. No point going cheap.

Coats & shoes.

Otherwise I always appreciate a good bargain.

So long lasting accessories that don't really go in and out of fashion. Food gets eaten, clothes get worn...
As a corollary, I WILL say that it is never worth buying expensive sunglasses because they get lost/stolen so easily

As a corollary, I WILL say that it is never worth buying expensive sunglasses because they get lost/stolen so easily
Oddly I found it to be the opposite. I know the protective factor is pretty much the same between a £10 pair and a £150 pair, but I’d always ALWAYS break and lose the cheap ones I had, but since buying an expensive pair about 6 years ago they’re still going strong. I think I just look after things better when I know they cost a lot.

I guess I do get (comparatively) expensive bread, but its still so much cheaper than eating out for lunch, it hardly feels like an expense

Well EXACTLY

I mostly have it with soup during the week so it’s worth it.

Reactions: RJN
I go big on certain foods (pastry, bread, cheese, cold cuts) and spirits. kitchen utensils too

shoes and jeans as others have mentioned, it just lasts longer so surely it's cheaper in the long run?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom