What was the first Kylie album you ever bought?

Rhythm of Love. The first two albums I was more of an age to be buying singles with my pocket money. My cousin had Enjoy Yourself on cassette so I had heard that.

Not sure why I’m mentioning it but the first Madonna album I bought at the time of release was True Blue. I think it was £4.49 on vinyl in Boots.

There will always be a place in my heart for Let's Get to It, which let's face it is hardly one of her better albums.

The next one I bought was KM94 in, er, 1994 and I just loved it (still do), but really it wasn't until Light Years that I actively acquired the rest of her (album) catalogue.

Never bought any of her singles although I was highly tempted by the 'Slow' picture disc at a record fair last week but I thought a tenner was too much (KYLIE COLLECTORS PLEASE CONFIRM OTHERWISE I WILL DIE IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I DID NOT BUY IT)

Last edited:
Rhythm of Love. The first two albums I was more of an age to be buying singles with my pocket money. My cousin had Enjoy Yourself on cassette so I had heard that.
My sister bought Enjoy Yourself at the time so I guess TECHNICALLY that was the first Kylie album in the Suede HOUSEHOLD... but I was too obsessed with Like A Prayer to care.

I'm actually listening to Let's Get to It as I type and, sorry, I know that NO ONE WILL AGREE (and I will probably get some ABUSE for it), but it's UNDERRATED :D

Not that I think of it, I don't think I've ever started with the 'first album' for any of my big favourite artists.

After Rhythm of Love my next one I bought at time of release was Impossible Princess. I’ve got every one on release week since. I picked up Kylie Minogue retrospectively but was familiar with it from a student housemate. I never bothered getting the other PWL albums.

I'm actually listening to Let's Get to It as I type and, sorry, I know that NO ONE WILL AGREE (and I will probably get some ABUSE for it), but it's UNDERRATED :D
Wasn't it released on the same day as Erasure's Chorus? I remember buying both the same day from Woolworths (Erasure on CD, Kylie on cassette as I had all her previous albums on that format). I remember MUCH preferring Chorus, and thinking that LGTI was a bit dreary and didn't have enough Kylie on it.

I can't sometimes with Finer Feelings. :disco:

But what is LOVE
Without the FINER FEELINGS ?
It's just SEX
Without the SEXUAL HEALING
Passion dies
Without some tender meanings
It AIN'T LOVE
Without the FINER FEELINGS

I remember always giggling along with mum in the car when the 'it's JUST SEX' bit came on. Bless her. She always knew :disco:

Never bought any of her singles although I was highly tempted by the 'Slow' picture disc at a record fair last week but I thought a tenner was too much (KYLIE COLLECTORS PLEASE CONFIRM OTHERWISE I WILL DIE IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I DID NOT BUY IT)

Any time I’ve seen it it’s around £15 not that I’m checking very often. The only Minogue picture disc I have is Dannii’s ‘Perfection’.

I got the first one for my birthday/Christmas (together with Whitney and The Greatest Hits Collection :disco:) and Enjoy Yourself the following year.

I think the first one I actually bought myself was the GH.

Wasn't it released on the same day as Erasure's Chorus? I remember buying both the same day from Woolworths (Erasure on CD, Kylie on cassette as I had all her previous albums on that format). I remember MUCH preferring Chorus, and thinking that LGTI was a bit dreary and didn't have enough Kylie on it.
It was certainly around the SAME TIME though I can't be certain of the exact date.... and as much as I'd like to think Chorus was my first Erasure album it wasn't (Pop! The First 20 Hits was).

And I share your point on 'not enough Kylie' on LGI. Particularly 'Too Much of a Good Thing' and 'I Guess I Like it Like That' - I was only 11 but the inner gay bitch was already thinking 'Um, this album should have additional credits 'Kylie feat. backing singers''

Any time I’ve seen it it’s around £15 not that I’m checking very often. The only Minogue picture disc I have is Dannii’s ‘Perfection’.
Well I've been waiting for that all comprehensive KYLIE BOX with all the B-sides but I guess it'll never happen. I would quite like to own the Light Years / Fever/ Body Language era CD singles...

I still cut myself DAILY for not getting the blue Madame X.

Thinking back to 1991 when I bought those albums, the shopping mall alone where I bought them also had a Virgin megastore, an Our Price, Boots and WH Smith which both had large music departments, and a small indie music store. Now there isn't a single store in there that sells music :(

Thinking back to 1991 when I bought those albums, the shopping mall alone where I bought them also had a Virgin megastore, an Our Price, Boots and WH Smith which both had large music departments, and a small indie music store. Now there isn't a single store in there that sells music :(
This is just so depressing on SO MANY LEVELS.

I still miss Woolies EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE.

I know! I used to go to Boots on a Friday evening because 12 year old me was strangely drawn to the guy behind the record counter who would happily hang out with me playing all the new releases. He introduced me to Five Star.

This is just so depressing on SO MANY LEVELS.

I still miss Woolies EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE.

I'm sure we've had this conversation before (@Sheena to confirm), but every Monday lunch break at the office was the same - a pilgrimage to Virgin first to check all the new releases (a fair few of which YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT), and then go around all the other stores if you thought you might get them cheaper.

And nothing will beat the biannual trip to London where you could discover all sorts of imports you never knew existed in Tower Piccadilly. I remember squealing with delight upon finding the Justify My Love CD maxi single. And then positively EXPLODING when hearing The Beast Within :disco:

Apart from that first PWL Greatest Hits, I think it was Light Years. Might have been £8 in Woolies (remember when that was a massive bargain?). I didn't go back and pick up the two BMG albums until after that.

I'm sure we've had this conversation before (@Sheena to confirm), but every Monday lunch break at the office was the same - a pilgrimage to Virgin first to check all the new releases (a fair few of which YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT), and then go around all the other stores if you thought you might get them cheaper.

And nothing will beat the biannual trip to London where you could discover all sorts of imports you never knew existed in Tower Piccadilly. I remember squealing with delight upon finding the Justify My Love CD maxi single. And then positively EXPLODING when hearing The Beast Within :disco:
Tower Records Picadilly - gosh now you're talking. LITERALLY my CHURCH during the LondonSuede ERA.

lights years for me. i almost bought km94 cause i loved confide in me but i never heard anything else from it.

her first song i loved was especially for you and then i proper loved better the devil you know but buying music wasn't really a big thing back home then. i think i had like three cassette tapes to my name all in all (two by roxette and one by sandra).

yes, but there are exorbitantly priced concert tickets now :)

Same. On cassette. I remember playing it on my Walkman in my sixth form common room and having the piss ripped out of me.
Everyday from August 1988. Everywhere.

Last edited:
I'm GUESSING the PWL GREATEST HITS but to be honest I HAVEN'T A CLUE!

Not that I think of it, I don't think I've ever started with the 'first album' for any of my big favourite artists.

i almost thought that neither did i, but realised i did with fiona apple and erykah badu.

also i was arranging my cds, records and dvds the other night and i have the most tori cds, followed by madonna, mariah, janet, erykah, grace and goldfrapp. shamefully only two by kylie who i probably have the most tracks by digitally.

grace leads when it comes to vinyl, followed by donna and diana.

Enjoy Yourself. I wasn’t bothered by Kylie- era and still actively hate 2 of the 4 UK singles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom