Whatev's Mariah Carey Top 50!

Endless Love (with Luther Vandross)
Greatest Hits

Oh my GOODNESS has there ever been a more perfect pairing? I love me some Luther and this 1994 cover was Mariah's first high profile duet, coming between the Music Box singles and All I Want For Christmas Is You. I remember seeing them perform live on TOTP and being absolutely spellbound by the vocal dexterity of both artists. I also remember requesting it repeatedly at the school disco in Year 6, much to the amusement of whoever's "hip" teenage older brother was DJing. Anyway, they did play it towards the end so everyone could slow dance awkwardly and it was amazing. Produced by Walter, it was apparently her idea to record it for Luther's covers album, which Tommy Mottola was overseeing, and a great friendship ensued between the pair. It was of course a huge hit all over the world, peaking at #2 in the US and #3 in the UK, but somehow it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Far superior to the original Lionel/Diana version if you ask ME.

'Love Takes Time' - classic and I love how it closes the Mariah Carey album.

'Endless Love' - [Aretha] hmmm. I'm gonna have to pass on that one. [/Aretha] Although I do like their little adlibs/harmonies before the 2nd verse.

Not when it's in a countdown over CTTA!

Love Takes Time, however, is BRILLIANT. The climax and its whistle life me up to heaven.

Endless Love just suffers from being a cover NOBODY needed. The original is a) amazing, b) ubiquitous. And Diana’s emotion shined through way more than it does here. I bought the single as I was a Mariah lifer at the time, but I can’t have played or heard the song in 15 years.

Very surprised to see Endless Love here. As Sheena said it just wasn't necessary. It did introduce me to the song, but it never was all that in the first place. Lionel, Diana, Mariah and Luther all had better and far less saccharine numbers.

Some of the girls in here just don't appreciate vocals! Endless Love is vocal heaven. I could lip it for days (both parts).

Love Takes Time is lovely. I enjoy that she appreciates it these days.

It's all about:

You MIGHT say you don't MISS me
You DON'T need me
But I KNOW that you DO
And I FEEL that you DO, insii-i-iIIDDDDD*whistleeeeeeee*********

Whatevar said:
Mariah’s Theme will not be featuring in this countdown. Apols.

I love it and I’m a huge Diane fan but, come on, it’s like a fucking nursery rhyme in places.

Loufoque has left the chat

Sometimes I just end up watching Imperial era Mariah live performances for hours while shaking and crying over the greatest vocalist ever to have lived.

Oh I LOVE the original Endless Love. It might be saccharine but it's BEAUTIFULLY done.

I know it was very fashionable amongst certain parties at one point to be very "yeah but she lost of voice and sings like shit these days". And then you remember 1993-96 and that your. fave. could. never.

Oh and GIRLS? I played The Roof along the seafront today and people STARED.

Admittedly it may have been my car, or even my NEW DO, but I think people were getting down to the FUNKY SOUNDS :disco:

Yaaaasss bitch give us that seafront promo :disco:

Not happening.
delete mariah carey GIF

Slipping Away
The Rarities

Obviously the lambs have known and loved this song for years. It sort of had mythical status (along with Do You Think Of Me) and now it's finally seen the light of day by finding pride of place on the fabulous Rarities album, has it lost any of its mystique? Absolutely not. Apparently intended for the Daydream album but relegated to B-side status (with Always Be My Baby) for being "too urban", we ALL KNOW the real reason was that it was obviously signalling the end of her marriage to Mottola. Those lyrics could literally cut a bitch. After all, it's no more "urban" than Fantasy or Long Ago. Written and produced with Dave Hall, who worked on Dreamlover and Fantasy, it's very simple and easy to listen to; no astonishing vocal acrobatics, but I think it's better than most of the Daydream tracks and still sounds effortlessly cool and interesting today.

Slipping Away has aged like Mariah herself: impeccably. As you say, it should have replaced one of the more pedestrian ballads on the album. I truly belive that, alongside One Night, there was a quiet storm R&B album to rival Secrets in there. Melt Away, Long Ago, Slipping Away, Underneath The Stars... Ugh... Perfect music to have sex (while lipsynching) to.

I refuse to accept that any other version of "I Still Believe" exists. (Except my Masked Mooper performance of course).

This thread has single-handedly sent me down a Mariah wormhole where I refuse to listen to any other artist and frankly I am totally OK with that.

This thread has single-handedly sent me down a Mariah wormhole where I refuse to listen to any other artist and frankly I am totally OK with that.
Yeah I'm 'toying' with the idea of completing her discography on vinyl! I've got all of them on CD and 3 vinyls but I want to get the rest now and damn it why did I not buy the colour ones

Angels Cry
Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel

I love all these We Belong Together re-treads and this is one of the finest. It has such a sad, beautiful tone and the lyrics are heart-breaking. "Lightning don't strike/The same place twice" and "Come on babe, can't our love be revived" are such strong hooks. I love the remix with Ne-Yo as well, despite his whiny lead vocals (but he added some nice backgrounds and harmonies). I don't understand why it wasn't a hit, but then I never do. Nice video (directed by Nick Cannon) - you can't beat a crying in the rain scene. Peaked at #81 in the UK and didn't chart at all in the US. Such a shame that the Angels Advocate project never happened, it was a great idea.

I mean, these lyrics:

The final blow hit so low, I'm still on the ground
I couldn't have prepared myself for this fall
Shattered in pieces, curled on the floor...

Limitless omnipresent, kind of love
Couldn't have guessed it would just stop and disappear
In a whirlwind
Here I am walkin' on this narrow rope wobbling
But won't let go, waitin' for a glimpse of the sun's glow

Last edited:
I love Angels Cry but only in its solo form (similar to another, even greater ballad, Whenever You Call, which I hope to God is still to come). The YouTube numbers for it are insane. What's the explanation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom