X-Men '97 (released in 2024)

It is easy to think otherwise when Cyclops' only lines are bellowing "JEEEEAAAANNN!"

X-Men Love GIF by Stephy Yang

The last two episodes have been so anime coded and I'm here for it, especially on the latest one during the Genosha sequence where Multiple Man is dancing and then DAZZLER :disco: shows up (in a non-speaking appearance unfortunately since Taylor Swift is too expensive these days) and the camera cuts to Rogue making a gesture to Gambit to come closer; it looked straight out of an 80's Japanese cartoon, my poor heart.

oh, and TOMMY!

It actually is :disco:

I guess there is a very small element of knowing to grow up with their likely audience of nostalgia hunters. Episode 5 was more brutal than anything I recall from the 90s, and Lenore Zann's "I can't feel you" as emotive voice acting as the series had ever seen.

The visuals have also taken some anime cues. Storm wandering the sands in ep 1, the Magneto and Rogue ball dance, much of the Jubilee material... beautifully drawn and much more SPARKLY and PRETTY than the MCU typically allow.

Oh and Lifedeath was done quite well. The changes made sense and still told a cohesive story. Also YAS QUEEN for Storm’s return to her original hair

My only real criticism is some of the voice acting is a bit :zombie: but I can look past it.

Oh and I was hoping for a bit of this as well :D
IMG_7471.jpeg

Did we notice Nightcrawler was added to the roll call in the titles? The roster is starting to look a bit male heavy, so hoping for Emma Frost or Dazzler to join since they’re already in the animated canon.
Also, Kitty was never in the original series, was she? Might be nice for her to pop up (and hopefully be less ruined than she is in the comics at this point).

By the time the animated series began, Jubilee had already taken Kitty’s place as the teenage character you can identify with and Wolverine’s sidekick so I dont think Kitty was ever used. Jubilee had a chokehold on the books back then so they just put her in Kitty’s place in the stories.

I never warmed up to Jubilee in the comic books and got mad when Kitty was sidelined to give the former her spotlight; GOd they tried anything back then, they got her to join the New Mutants for 5 minutes, then moved on to Excalibur and SHIELD.

If they need more female members they can rope in Psylocke or Polaris, worst case scenario Blink.

Jubilee was a decent character in Wolverine’s solo book and started Ok in the Outback era but quickly evolved into the most annoying thing.

I loved Blink in Exiles but I don’t k ow how much she can add to the animated series. As a HOMOSEX I am always down for more female characters though. :D

as a rubbish comic book fan, I never QUITE got the difference between Dazzler's and Jubilee's powers so....

Did we notice Nightcrawler was added to the roll call in the titles? The roster is starting to look a bit male heavy, so hoping for Emma Frost or Dazzler to join since they’re already in the animated canon.

I wouldn't read too much into the titles, they've changed every episode. And I think they're a show of who is "officially" in the team rather than who's genuinely in the cast.

Storm was removed when she lost her powers, but she's still very much a focal point.

I can totally see Emma Frost at some point, being such a key character in the comics. Although I guess we don't know for sure if she or others survived episode 5. Dazzler and Kitty are, as others have suggested, probably a bit redundant whilst Jubes is titting about.

Failing that, let's just have Morph assume a different CAMP form each ep.

Last edited:
Failing that, let's just have Morph assume a different CAMP form each ep.

Speaking of, we haven't seen a lot of him lately, we need him back. And how refreshing to see Wolverine also being sidelined as opposed to the movies where it was always about him.

Speaking of, we haven't seen a lot of him lately, we need him back. And how refreshing to see Wolverine also being sidelined as opposed to the movies where it was always about him.
I was thinking that - it's not been the Wolverine Show Featuring Wolverine and Also Some Other Mutants If We Need To Pad The Runtime.

Wolverine has always been one of my least favourite X-Men so I very much approve of this direction. Episode 5 needed to give Rogue, Magneto and Gambit room to breathe in order to tell the story properly so I'm glad of this focus on other characters.

It is refreshing... and I honestly don't think that would have been the case had this relaunched in the 2000s or 2010s where everything was Hugh Jackman

They've also subtlety shifted his personality. There's still a gruffness, but he also seems much lighter and less angsty. Joking with Morph, offering Jubilee cupcakes. He's slowly going as CAMP as the rest of them.

He'll be disco dancing with Dazzler next

It is refreshing... and I honestly don't think that would have been the case had this relaunched in the 2000s or 2010s where everything was Hugh Jackman
This was my problem with Wolverine and the X-Men; it did exactly what it said on the tin. The rest of the team were basically mute with Wolverine saying and doing EVERYTHING.

This is still ON FIRE

Nightcrawler in the team!
Rogue assisting suicide!
Emma Frost!
Creepy neck twitching zombie mutant robots!
Jean almost not being useless in a fight! (But ultimately still ending up flat on the floor)

Sucks for the Dazzler fans tho

Last edited:
Rogue showing TOP COP Captain America what a bitch he is was amazing

Trish Tilby is still a cunt

Jean remains useless

Emma wearing lippy even in diamond form :D

Jubilee forcing Roberto to “come out”

I love this series so much :durst:

Well, with Cable now on the scene you know they're just gonna travel through time and bring back Gambit and some others.

:D She's decent!

Yeah, this time they got TWO things right; first, they're upping their game when it comes to the team using their powers, and they're making sure no one is embarrassing themselves when it comes to fighting. The second thing is Wolverine being no more than a supporting character!

It would have been funny regardless if Cyclops had asked Jean "Was it too heavy?" after she lifted an entire building without flinching (unlike 25 years ago)!

54bd2b7cb743927360d03b3a08a69c2d.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom