20 books everyone should read by 30

RaspberrySwirl

Leftover
According to Penguin.

How many of these have you read?

[URL]https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2020/april/books-to-read-by-30.html?&utm_source=instagram_stories&utm_medium=instagram_stories&utm_campaign=Books_to_read_by_30_15_04_2020https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2020/april/books-to-read-by-30.html?&utm_source=instagram_stories&utm_medium=instagram_stories&utm_campaign=Books_to_read_by_30_15_04_2020[/URL]

I have only read:
Giovanni’s Room
The Great Gatsby
The Alchemist
A Little Life

and I’m currently reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I’d agree they’re all essential (maybe except for A Little Life unless you’re gay and into emotional and physical torture). Only read The Alchemist before turning 30 though.

I'm so glad at my age I can get away with a quick flick through Woman's Realm and The People's Friend.

Also, I realize this is the first time in ages that I’ve started a thread and it took me a while to figure out which forum we use to post about books. Seeing as we’re posting more about reading and have an ongoing book club, isn’t it time to have a book sub-forum?

only Giovanni's Room :( I will say though, doesn't a handful of those require life experience not even achieved before 30 to fully appreciate them?

I don’t know, I think A Little Life would have made a more profound impression on me if I had read it before turning 30 (well it wasn’t written by then).

I don’t know, I think A Little Life would have made a more profound impression on me if I had read it before turning 30 (well it wasn’t written by then).

you've got a point there. well I was late for that too...

I read the FILTHY BITS in FEAR OF FLYING when I was a YOUNG MAN

NONE although I suppose I have longer to read them than others :D

The Great Gatsby
The Alchemist
The Secret History

all before I was 30, just as well. Didn’t have lasting impact, except I often think about killing someone with an icicle

Even the movies don’t appeal me. Game of Thrones (the tv show) was enough of a limit pusher for me.

I know I’ve read The Alchemist but I couldn’t tell you a single thing about it! So it obviously had an impact.

I much preferred his cautionary suicide tale “Veronica Decides To Die”.

Dorian Gray
The Alchemist (hmmm...)
Never Let Me Go

i started Portrait of an Artist earlier this year but i'm still nowhere.

I've read :

Giovanni's Room
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Anna Karenina
The Great Gatsby
The Alchemist

The Secret History
A Little Life
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
On Chesil Beach

Never Let me Go

(the emboldened titles I had read before turning 30)

... and I would absolutely recommend all of them except, of course, The Alchemist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom