2021 Mayoral and Local Elections

In the Greater Manchester Mayoral Election (sorry to hijack the London thread) there was supposed to be an Independent called Michael Elston. Turns out that Michael didn't fill his paperwork in properly so isn't on the vote anymore (he's blaming beaurocratic error because he missed the voting numbers of his nominees off the form) but here's what his leaflet (posted through our door today) says.
If elected, Michael Elston will:
rescind all fines issued against residents of Greater Manchester
prohibit bailiffs from operating in Greater Manchester
ensure that everyone in Greater Manchester can watch TV without having to pay for a TV Licence
overturn any magistrates' court or county court judgement issued against a defendant who has not been informed that the trial is taking place, who has not been given sufficient time to find legal representation, or without a trial having taken place at all

Clearly there wasn't room on his pamphlet for the "free unicorn for everybody in Greater Manchester" promise.

I also have received a leaflet from this lunatic. Could any of the other Mancunian Moopers make head nor tail of his plan to change the start of the workday so that it was always three hours after sunrise?

I also have received a leaflet from this lunatic. Could any of the other Mancunian Moopers make head nor tail of his plan to change the start of the workday so that it was always three hours after sunrise?

I hadn't seen that one but after reading closer the centrefold part of his leaflet I'm not sure what anybody could find confusing about "Michael Elston will promote a change in the start of the working day; from 9am to 3 hours after sunrise and then two further shifts of 6 hours and 9 hours after sunrise".

If we assume that Michael is talking about standard northern "factory" shifts (earlies 0600hrs to 1400hrs, backshift 1400hrs to 2200hrs and nights 2200hrs to 0600hrs) he means that if sunrise is at 0533hrs then earlies will now begin at 0833hrs (ends 1633hrs), backshift would begin at 1133hrs (ends 1933hrs) and nights would begin at 1733hrs (ends 0133hrs). Production will then cease until 0531hrs the next day when earlies return (shift start time will decrease by either no, one or two minutes per day during the first part of BST until summer solstice, after which it will increase by either no, one or two minutes per day until the clocks return to GMT. It is the workers' responsibility to ensure that they are using the correct sunrise time for their location.

It's not bloody rocket science! :D

I'm all for this if it means we get a sundial on every street corner :disco:

I'm all for this if it means we get a sundial on every street corner :disco:

"Michael will also ensure the creation of thousands of "door-knocker-upper" jobs like those from the mid-19th to mid-20th century for anybody not in possession of an alarm clock or mobile phone. He will also replace the new LED lampost bulbs with paraffin lamps and the knocker-upper can double as a lamp-snuffer making immense savings on electricity and LED bulbs."

Marvellous :D

but unfortunately he was rude about Saint Jeremy the other day so I’ll be voting Green

We actually had a knock on the door this evening. It wasn't my old lecturer, but it was Labour, who she's standing for. I hope she gets in.

I increasingly know many local politicians!

London and Scotland are going to be the only likely satisfying results tonight. Of course a surprise Tory flop could be fun, even on a small scale.

I think Andy Burnham will have done well in Manchester. I don't know if we'll find that out for a few days though.

Saturday realistically. We'll get tons of seats on Friday but they can't do regional until all constituencies have reported, so we won't know if we have a majority until then.

However if somewhere like Eastwood, Jackson Carlaw's seat, goes SNP then that would indicate the SNP getting their majority.

This is when Scotland is happening btw. See its INDEPENDENT THREAD for more.

If Sadiq wasn't so generally popular with Londoners, I do think the Greens could have made real inroads at this London Mayor election (TBC).

I think it's time to for them to stop this confusing duel-leader nonsense, reinstall Caroline Lucas as leader for the third (?) time and come for BLOOD! :disco:
There's a large amount of disillusioned Labour voters, not to mention possible older Tories and Lib Dems that need to know once their vote for Green could possible COUNT will switch.

Hartlepool is absolutely lost. But Bercow has it entirely right on QT tonight - it's barely 18 months from the last election, and despite everything there's a wave of optimism in the country at the moment about the vaccine rollout (despite the government really having mostly fuck all to do with it). Things will be different in 18 months.

I did an unusual thing and voted independent in my PCC election. But then it was alternative vote so i didn't have to feel bad about not voting labour.

I went Sian Berry (Green) then Sadiq for mayor. Labour for local assembly and LONDEPENDENCE for London-wide assembly because fuck most of this country right now tbh.

Hartlepool is absolutely lost. But Bercow has it entirely right on QT tonight - it's barely 18 months from the last election, and despite everything there's a wave of optimism in the country at the moment about the vaccine rollout (despite the government really having mostly fuck all to do with it). Things will be different in 18 months.
I get the vaccine thing in fairness, but I still maintain voting for the Tories based on the vaccine rollout and ignoring the thousands of excess deaths they were directly responsible for is like remembering Jimmy Saville just for his charity work and not for being a massive paedo.

I get the vaccine thing in fairness, but I still maintain voting for the Tories based on the vaccine rollout and ignoring the thousands of excess deaths they were directly responsible for is like remembering Jimmy Saville just for his charity work and not for being a massive paedo.

I don't know if you noticed, but people are fucking morons.

We have a first result. Labour holds Cowpen. Chickencoop yet to declare.

Can’t wait to have EDWINA CURRIE in our council :eyes:

Bring on 2024

*Exit poll:
CON 650
LAB 0*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom