2022 French Presidential Election

I'm watching the debate LIVE on France24 with questionable English translation! :disco: very exciting stuff. so far Macron looks amused (dare we say arrogant?) and Le Pen focused.

I believe he just coolly dismantled her on the topic of VAT and price caps.

It's a little sad that she is a contender for France's presidentship. Just tuned in and she is campaigning for animals born in France to be slaughtered in France not abroad.
The question was about climate change policies, free trade and imports.

I can’t watch this as just listening to her speak makes me feel physically sick.. I just hope that people won’t believe a single word of what she says because she lies the moment she opens her mouth

yes she has well and truly gone off the rails. referendums on wind farms? applying for asylum from the French consulate? Europe is weak because Google and Facebook are American?

girl. 3 hours of this is certainly beyond her talents. Macron however can go and go :D

I can’t watch this as just listening to her speak makes me feel physically sick. I just hope that people won’t believe a single word of what she says because she lies the moment she opens her mouth
I wouldn't worry if people believe what she says or not. Am more worried most of what she said since I've tuned in is frankly not very sane.

Reactions: LTZ
I hate when politicians (especially the far right) default to REFERENDUMS on everything. are referendums a particularly French thing? even the moderator said to Macron that he hadn't held a first-term referendum on anything. why should he?

the public are easily manipulated in this age of extreme media propaganda, as we've seen disastrously highlighted in the UK, and the function of any government is to take these decisions and pass them into law in parliament. why SHOULD the public decide on immigration, or on fucking wind farms? this is literally your job if elected.

It's a little sad that she is a contender for France's presidentship. Just tuned in and she is campaigning for animals born in France to be slaughtered in France not abroad
Sounds reasonable to me. Imagine the poor loves wanting croissants as their last supper before being slaughtered and being given PEPPA PIG PASTA SHAPES or PAELLA

DISGUSTING

laugh-luann.gif

He was extremely poignant and quick in firing back and wasn't leaving anything answered, it was very exciting. For example, when talking about Europe she tried not to sound like the devil by saying sth like I don't hate Europe, I love european countries, Europe is one thing, but the EU is a political union. - A political union that we've created, he tells her. :D

talking to people at dinner here in Paris last night, it's scary how many (mainly younger) people are casually intending to vote for Le Pen, even when they don't actually like her or her opinions..they are 'tired of politics' and 'tired of doing the right thing'.. and 'Macron is not much better than her anyway' and 'let's just see what happens'.. France is paradise compared to a LOT of other countries but they all feel like they're living in hell because they might have to work a few years more. Who cares if people live much longer now and the money has to come from somewhere.. it's all Macron's fault. The level of ignorance and sense of privilege of some people here is mind blowing.

I listened to someone being interviewed on the news yesterday who voted far-left in the first round and will vote for the far-right on Sunday. "Because the far-right is the least worse option compared to Macron". :manson:

talking to people at dinner here in Paris last night, it's scary how many (mainly younger) people are casually intending to vote for Le Pen, even when they don't actually like her or her opinions..they are 'tired of politics' and 'tired of doing the right thing'.. and 'Macron is not much better than her anyway' and 'let's just see what happens'.. France is paradise compared to a LOT of other countries but they all feel like they're living in hell because they might have to work a few years more. Who cares if people live much longer now and the money has to come from somewhere.. it's all Macron's fault. The level of ignorance and sense of privilege of some people here is mind blowing.
the retirement thing being such a big deal is really weird. I guess people would be a bit bummed about working a couple of years longer, but all logical thinking says it's the right thing to do. and it will be introduced incrementally anyway.

I don't agree though with blanket statements like "France is paradise compared to..." - financially many are suffering and people will always bristle at voting for the continuity candidate when their own circumstances are difficult.

I think in the end though people will come out for Macron and he will snatch around 56-58% of the vote.

I listened to someone being interviewed on the news yesterday who voted far-left in the first round and will vote for the far-right on Sunday. "Because the far-right is the least worse option compared to Macron". :manson:
it really is incredible how thoroughly despised he is :D

and in a developed Western country 65 is a fine age to work to!

the retirement thing being such a big deal is really weird.
I sympathize with their concern not to lose what has been gained as a society and as a working body but am sure there are many ways they can always pressure to that direction.
What I don't sympathize with is selling your soul to the devil to keep what you have at any cost. I imagine they won't elect her eventually, but still find it really sad that she is a candidate and not isolated at some 0.1% percentage.

Oh, Jarkette :(
what? I really don't think it's capitalist nightmare of me to suggest that inevitably as we live longer we should have to work a little longer and contribute to society before we start enjoying retirement. 2 or 3 years is not a big deal and Macron isn't even advocating for everyone to have to work to 65 - some in more intensive jobs will still be able to retire at 62.

50% of babies born after the year 2000 will live to be 100. at 35 years their retirements will be almost as lengthy as their working lives!

what? I really don't think it's capitalist nightmare of me to suggest that inevitably as we live longer we should have to work a little longer and contribute to society before we start enjoying retirement. 2 or 3 years is not a big deal and Macron isn't even advocating for everyone to have to work to 65 - some in more intensive jobs will still be able to retire at 62.

50% of babies born after the year 2000 will live to be 100. at 35 years their retirements will be almost as lengthy as their working lives!
There's the demographics at play too, their being less births so less working people to support the ageing population. (I mean there's an easy solution to this one but heaven forbid somebody crosses a border to work :eyes:)

what? I really don't think it's capitalist nightmare of me to suggest that inevitably as we live longer we should have to work a little longer and contribute to society before we start enjoying retirement.
But at the same time, jobs are not unlimited. The more the elders are asked to work for, the less easy it becomes for young people to get into employment.

Reactions: GNL
Want? We’d all want to retire now if we could, but:

gia-gunn.gif
Then abolish income tax and tax wealth instead. Ensure that people and companies pay the taxes they should rather than avoid them, and maybe look at upping corporation tax as well. Sorted, you can afford to pay pensions (until you abolish them for UBI :disco:)

It’s just weird to us here how hated Macron seems to be in France (especially considering what the options are :zombie: ).

Those idiots on the left that would rather vote for Le Pen, well I hope they get fucked in the worst possible way if she actually ends up winning.
Most of the left are either voting Macron or just going for a blank vote (estimated 35% for the former and 50% for the latter). Only 15% are expected to vote Le Pen. And honestly, if anything that’s an indication of the great job Mélenchon did getting back a good chunk of the lower income classes that have been lost to the far right for a good 10 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom