And Just Like That... (Sex & The City revival)

I think I never actually watched a full SATC (maybe I did, I don't remember) but I tried these two episodes and I found them quite nice and I was actually quite moved in places.
I didn't expect it to floor me with its quality and deep performances, so it served very well as light entertainment. I will be very interested to watch the next episodes definitely.

That was something else. When Candi's banger blasted after Big died of the stroke, I couldn't help but wonder if I had just witnessed the greatest love scene that never was being played out between That One and Eileen. The fact that we got a close-up of her shoes getting wet to emphasise the drama :D

It's not as good as before, but as good as Cashmere Mafia ever was and has the woman from 200 Cigarettes in it as a main so obviously I'm fine to keep going. I do hope Miranda dies at the end of episode 2 to the sound of Baby Baby by Corona though.

Other than feeling heavy handed in places to put those characters into a modern context, I enjoyed the first episode quite a lot.

I didn't enjoy the first episode much, but if the second one is better I'll stick with it

I think because the show came to be quite out of touch with where it began, going straight back to their obscene success and riches felt quite jarring, but I'm game for episode 2 still.

And after two episodes I'm fully on board. I can understand why it's unlikely to win any new fans, but for me that really hit a spot I didn't know needed hitting.

I fully expect the Frasier reboot isn't going to do the same, so very welcome indeed.

I think because the show came to be quite out of touch with where it began, going straight back to their obscene success and riches felt quite jarring, but I'm game for episode 2 still.

Oh I had actually seen episode 2. It was a heavy viewing :D

I haven't watched this yet but question: do they still portray gay men in an offensively two-dimensional way, in that we only live to i) listen to women's problems while ii) make sassy comments not to mention iii) retconning years of disdain into a gay wedding just to create a pretext for a Liza Minelli cameo?

I haven't watched this yet but question: do they still portray gay men in an offensively two-dimensional way, in that we only live to i) listen to women's problems while ii) make sassy comments not to mention iii) retconning years of disdain into a gay wedding just to create a pretext for a Liza Minelli cameo?
Every character is a stereotype in SATC, that's kind of the point of the original series. They're all aspects of a character - none are three-dimensional. I'm not sure much is different this time around in that sense, although so far I've found it to be consciously inclusive, even to the point of being a bit on the nose about it.

They’re more two dimensional than ever. Now also featuring one new POC character as an accessory for each main character.
I hope that they wrote out Samantha by explaining that now they are more woke than before, they cancelled her for her culturally insensitive behaviour in that souq in Abu Dhabi.

I'd hope Carrie is in the position now to potentially start interesting discussions. I don't hold out much hope for Miranda so far, given I feel her character seems to have suffered most.

According to this BBC News article, Peloton cleared the use of their product in the show, but DIDN'T KNOW it would lead to a death!

BBC News - And Just Like That Peloton resurrects show character
Hmm, and yet the ad with Big and the Spanish lady looks like it was pre-planned, and was perhaps part of the deal to clear them using it in the show? Guess not!

And just like that...I was literally thinking "OH we haven't heard about Miranda's problematic relationship with alcohol this episode..." at the EXACT SECOND she handed Charlotte her backpack :D

RIGHT ON CUE!

Last edited:
Anyway, I really liked the third episode - it just felt like an extension of the original series to me.
I've read so many people have so many opinions on this show since it aired, when to me it seems to just be the perfect carry on from where they left off :D

Mr Big has been accused of sexually assaulting two women, one as late as 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom