And Just Like That... (Sex & The City revival)

I enjoy watching it, it serves the same purpose as a lot of reality tv ie you get to shout at the screen and feel morally superior

I don't care if Carrie's got 1,000 pairs of really ugly, expensive shoes or buys overpriced sushi that comes in a plastic bag with an ironic smiley on it but at least Big Little Lies had a deliberate tongue-in-cheek approach to portraying the wealthy so I don't really feel that comparison holds up. by and large I do agree with Jark though, enjoy the silliness and LEAVE THE RICH ALONE! (on HBO. eat their babies irl).
Haven't watched Big Little Lies (should I?) but in terms of rich people problems I've tried to watch Elite and gave up at the end of season 1 and still can't believe how successful that was.

it's like when Suomi harangued me for liking Call Me By Your Name :D apparently gay love is only meaningful if they're poor, are victims of violence, and/or dies from AIDS :eyes:

Awkward Drive By GIF by CBC

it's like when Suomi harangued me for liking Call Me By Your Name :D apparently gay love is only meaningful if they're poor, are victims of violence, and/or dies from AIDS :eyes:

Its much better now we know poor little Timothee got CANNIBALISED after the film ended.

I really enjoyed eps 2, 3 and 4 in particular.

all of the new characters are bedding in nicely - I especially liked the scenes between Carrie and Heema with the picture frame, and Miranda and her professor discussing IVF. only Che I'm not quite sure about - they seem a bit tangential. the standup scene was good though.

surprisingly I find myself stanning Charlotte and consider her basically the MVP of the last couple of eps! I'm obsessed with her facial expressions.

i think some parts are cringe (deliberately so) but the humour is there and there's emotional intelligence where needed too. keen to see where Miranda's drinking thing is going. I predict she'll lash out.

Haven't watched Big Little Lies (should I?) but in terms of rich people problems I've tried to watch Elite and gave up at the end of season 1 and still can't believe how successful that was.

Yes 100% watch it. The backdrop is silly privileged Americans, but there’s many layers underneath it that get peeled back gradually. It’s a very smart, very well acted show with a strong story. You can’t really bundle it with all those other glossy dramas which are pure escapism, this is darker and more complicated.

The most relatable thing this season was Miranda at lunch saying ‘Shall we just get a BOTTLE?’

The most relatable thing this season was Miranda at lunch saying ‘Shall we just get a BOTTLE?’

If I had a pound every time someone in my family uttered those words

I used to think my London friends had drinking problems until I moved back up north…

Of all the shows that I watch, this is the only one that has mentioned the pandemic. It must have been something they added in the end as it was only mentioned briefly in the first episode.

From a birth defect never causing any discomfort or pain before, despite the fact that she's been pounding the streets of Manhattan for forty years in spiked heels :disco:
I thought the umbrella as a cane was Carrie showing a rare sense of humour. But no it was a plot device :D

She was awful on the bed “you weren’t there when I needed you!!” It’s just a bit of piss love.

sorry but what is this? are we only allowed to watch shows about rich people if they're all acknowledged by the show as being cunts?

do you all want Carrie hanging around a soup kitchen for eight episodes?

nobody complained about everyone on Big Little Lies being rich. it's a window into a world that has probably little resonance for 90% of the audience - and maybe that's why people like it. economic hyperrealism (or token poor characters!) is not necessary in escapist tv of this genre.

all your critiques read like you went into the show determined to hate it, so why bother?
Big Little Lies was very clearly a comment on class and wealth. This show still carries with it that very mid-2000s "the more money the better" energy. They may have tried to address the privilege issue when it comes to race, but they still haven't addressed it when it comes to wealth (I am only judging on the first three episodes).

Also there’s been quite the jump from them being relatively well-off in the original series to the obscene wealth they seem to have now, despite the fact Charlotte DOESN’T WORK, Miranda has QUIT HER JOB, and Carrie does A PODCAST.

Also there’s been quite the jump from them being relatively well-off in the original series to the obscene wealth they seem to have now, despite the fact Charlotte DOESN’T WORK, Miranda has QUIT HER JOB, and Carrie does A PODCAST.
I guess Charlotte's married to a lawyer, Miranda was until recently a corporate partner at a law firm and Big was a successful investment banker (I think?). So I can see why they would have money, though probably not as much as it's implied they have!

hey, being a reluctant talking head on a podcast in which her sole job is to be the uptight third wheel pays much better than you'd think. and Miranda gets a dollar back every time she recycles a bottle! even Charlotte is rich in facial expressions and sexy husband currency.

honestly I thought ep 5 was great fun. I don't mind Carrie's reaction at all, what Miranda did was so trashy! but the conversation it led to about the drinking was brilliant. so good.

honestly, I screamed when Miranda realised she'd ordered the book from Amazon herself (via aggressive email notification!) and Charlotte wasn't pass-agging her. :D

Charlotte is just... giving everything. I've rarely enjoyed her so much.

Big owned his own company didn't he? He was obscenely wealthy back then, so I think Carrie being so now makes sense. Or at least more sense as her seeming to be as wealthy as the rest of them in the original run.

I have to say I’ve been complaining the whole series to @Suomi about how I hate what they’ve done to Miranda and that she kind of makes no sense. And then all of a sudden with the “I’M UNHAPPY” breakdown even all the weird clumsy inclusion apologist stuff made a little more sense alongside the alcoholism. So maybe I just didn’t see that she didn’t even make sense to herself?

Also, I guess because patriarchy and misogyny and gay, I’ve never really thought about what a female mid-life crisis could look like. We talk about that as the male experience and the menopause is kind of wrongly subbed in as the female experience when that’s obviously distinct from (but could overlap with) the menopause. And I guess now that Cynth Nix is a proper producer on this one, she can justifiably get her mitts on what story she wants to tell through Miranda. Even if it’s a bit ham-fisted, I strongly suspect this drive on diversification has most to do with Cynth Nix and her wanting to reflect her COMING OUT JOURNEY and that’s given it new dimensions and directions, like black people.

What is a producer in TV sense? Is it a title to earn a bit more money while everyone else does the hard work?

It seems more common for all the stars to also be producers. Even the cast of turd alert Emily in Paris are “producers”.

Big owned his own company didn't he? He was obscenely wealthy back then, so I think Carrie being so now makes sense. Or at least more sense as her seeming to be as wealthy as the rest of them in the original run.

did I misunderstand a subtle nod or does Carrie also now own the entire house in which her "... and just like that I sold my $15m condo to go back to my student flat" is?

What is a producer in TV sense? Is it a title to earn a bit more money while everyone else does the hard work?

It seems more common for all the stars to also be producers. Even the cast of turd alert Emily in Paris are “producers”.
Cynthia and Kristen are producers for the first time and are actually involved creatively, rather than being vanity credits. Cynthia also directed an episode.

I have to say I’ve been complaining the whole series to @Suomi about how I hate what they’ve done to Miranda and that she kind of makes no sense. And then all of a sudden with the “I’M UNHAPPY” breakdown even all the weird clumsy inclusion apologist stuff made a little more sense alongside the alcoholism. So maybe I just didn’t see that she didn’t even make sense to herself?

Also, I guess because patriarchy and misogyny and gay, I’ve never really thought about what a female mid-life crisis could look like. We talk about that as the male experience and the menopause is kind of wrongly subbed in as the female experience when that’s obviously distinct from (but could overlap with) the menopause. And I guess now that Cynth Nix is a proper producer on this one, she can justifiably get her mitts on what story she wants to tell through Miranda. Even if it’s a bit ham-fisted, I strongly suspect this drive on diversification has most to do with Cynth Nix and her wanting to reflect her COMING OUT JOURNEY and that’s given it new dimensions and directions, like black people.

I really liked that scene. I feel like they haven't really had a chance to ACT this series which might be because they spent the first three episodes setting the stage. I thought she was great in that episode.

I think the Cynthia and Kristen having producer credits is essentially allowing them, to an extent, to crowbar in a version of their own real life experiences into the show... for better and for worse.

Kristen Davis has spoken extensively about her experience of adopting two black children and the journey she has gone in to ensure she can be a racially-conscious parent - I feel that is reflected pretty clearly in Chatlotte’s storylines with her non binary child and in navigating racial politics.

In Cynthia’s case, she is obviously a queer woman IRL and has brought that into the character of Miranda. But my issue here is that, while late-in-life coming out stories exist, it really doesn’t make a huge amount of sense in Miranda’s case? It really does feel like it has come from nowhere.

Cast members becoming producers / exec producers is very common with long standing cast members with most shows. It's often just used as leverage to secure them / renegotiate their contracts without upping their cast salaries. Producers credits will be extra cash and yes it does mean they get to have more say in the development of the show but it's often done for vanity as much anything else.

In Cynthia’s case, she is obviously a queer woman IRL and has brought that into the character of Miranda. But my issue here is that, while late-in-life coming out stories exist, it really doesn’t make a huge amount of sense in Miranda’s case? It really does feel like it has come from nowhere.
I'd say it only feels like it's come out of nowhere to me because we didn't see it in the original run (well, or the movies, but I don't imagine any thought was given to those). In terms of how it's been tackled here I don't think it's unrealistic.

It's jarring to me because they already did the comedy lesbian storyline with Samantha. Maybe it's an attempt to correct that, but it does leave quite a big LGBT ratio among 4 supposedly straight women.

I mean, I wouldn’t say that Samantha could be considered LGBT representation based on that one storyline! Miranda’s story is also not being played for laughs.

I don’t know - maybe it will be explained better in later episodes. We don’t even know yet if Miranda really is having a big queer awakening or whether she is just into Che.

The reason I say it feels like it comes from nowhere is because Miranda literally had a storyline where she goes along with it when mistaken for one half of a lesbian couple at her firm, and goes as far as kissing the woman they set her up with just to see, and then concludes she feels nothing and is straight after all. I know sexuality can evolve but they are really conveniently ignoring that.

Last edited:
I just mean that if you have 4 women who are represented as straight women and two of them at some point have gay experiences it could be seen as shoehorning the agenda for the sake of LGBT representation. I don't think it is personally as someone who has followed the show from the start, and I agree that Miranda's storyline has been handled more organically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom