Are you a walker?

Nancy

Don't phone, it's just for fun!
I’m always walking … if I’m not riding my bike.

I have so much energy that I find I always have to be on the move.

It’s the only proper exercise I get. I don’t drive and get very impatient with the local traffic, so buses drive me mad. I find walking to places a lot easier to plan exactly how long a journey will take, and with a podcast on the go it’s relaxing.

Yes! It makes me so much happier when I can walk everywhere. It’s probably the number one reason I’m moving to New York

Yep I walk everywhere in London, as far as possible, and do a lot of hiking when in Yorkshire

Yeah I’m currently averaging 10-12k steps a day which is an improvement on last year. It’s one of the reasons I like living in the city, you can walk everywhere.

Besides the health benefits and it being better for the environment, I think if more people get around on foot, then they’ll be exposed to more people, creating more empathy. Maybe it’s idealistic, but I think more people walking would be better for society

My Google maps gives a monthly summary. Last month it says I walked 3 miles and drove 552 miles :o

Yes, I walk about 30 miles a week on average.

I walk and listen to audio novels, podcasts and self-improvement books.

Usually podcasts or novels for me as well, now I've got an audible subscription again. In fact I've barely used Spotify for music recently.

I like podcasts when I drive (and sometimes while running), and I used to listen to them while walking, but lately I’ve found that my mind wanders too much when I’m walking so I stick to music

Either podcasts or music. I wish I could do books but I don’t focus enough.

I don't walk as much as I did during lockdown, but if it's a 3 mile journey or less and I don't have anything massive to carry, I will always walk even if transport is available.

I enjoy a country walk when I can. Doing the yorkshire three peaks later this year.

Yes, I love walking. I don't do as much as I did since I started working from home, and I think I need to make an effort to change that.

I do VERY MUCH like walking. Unfortunately most of the walking routes near where I live are close to highways with cars passing by which puts me off a little. :D

Walks in nature, parks or less busy streets and I can go walking for long distances, with no notion of time.

I had a period of time when I could rack up 15-20 km walk days because I was at Uni and everything had switched to Online Learning + I lived near a few traffic-free walking routes very close by so could fit them around my schedule.

How I miss having free time like that.

I do a lot of walking at work, and used to walk more when we had a dog but not so much now. This was today:

Screenshot_20220414-221856_Samsung Health.jpg

I walk about 5 or 6 miles a day I don’t know what steps that is

I've never learned to drive and one of the main benefits is that I think nothing of walking for 40-45 minutes even if it's just to pop down to the shops or go to the pub. I also love a good RAMBLE, and Leeds/Yorkshire has so many beautiful routes. I don't think I'd ever get tired of it.

People keep saying I’ll regret not learning to drive. I don’t think I will. My mum only learned to drive when I was about 3/4 purely because having 2 children was becoming difficult on public transport. When she retired she sold her car and doesn’t want it back.

Driving has brought me nothing but misery and expense. Never again will I own a car.

Reactions: RJN
I'm learning to drive now (well not RIGHT now) but I've been more or less fine with walking and public transport for my whole adult life. The only reason I want my licence now is so I can say I've got it when I apply for certain jobs

So I do walk a lot, but I make up for it by ensuring I balance out 10,000 step days with days where I barely move :)

Obviously I've never learned to drive, but I'm under no illusion that my life is poorer in some ways because of it.

The accident I had a few weeks ago resulted in the car being declared a write off.

That’s the SIXTH car I’ve been behind the wheel for and that to have happened.

Driving has brought me nothing but misery and expense. Never again will I own a car.
It also makes you realise how selfish people can be. Like that girl I can over with my car - probably the most traumatic experience of my life and all she could do was make it about her leg

I like walking, but I’m flat-footed, so even with some decent footwear it can start to hurt.
It rarely hurts for me when I'm walking. It's the next morning when I suffer.

I like walking, but I’m flat-footed, so even with some decent footwear it can start to hurt.
I had some foot issues earlier this year, which it turned out were caused by being flatfooted. The Superfeet insoles are a little pricey, but they've helped SO MUCH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom