Armenia 2021 - WITHDRAWN

Soldi

Πάμε put your hands up
Pronouns
He/him
So Armenia have announced that they’ll make a final decision on whether or not they’ll take part this year by next Wednesday. If they do, they’ll send last years representative Athena, although they may pull out due to the WAR!

They’ve always technically been at war with Azerbaijan haven’t they?

They had a spectacularly bad 2020. Their long-running on-off conflict with Azerbaijan boiled over again and Azerbaijan, with military support from Turkey, took a huge chunk of their disputed territory and forced their Prime Minister into a humiliating climbdown.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if they withdraw. If they stick it out, I'd expect something in the 1944/Don't Deny mould again.

The option to send in a video might make it easier/cheaper to compete during a war

Have they confirmed they'd be sending Athena Manoukian? :D

The dream of Chains On You (Candlelight Remix) lives!
They’ve said if they do go it’ll be her, apparently because they don’t have enough time to choose anyone else. Poor Athena! :D

So basically they'll withdraw if they can't find a decent song, using as excuse a war that's been going on for 20 years. Makes sense.

So basically they'll withdraw if they can't find a decent song, using as excuse a war that's been going on for 20 years. Makes sense.
Uh, it's not really been 'going on' for twenty years the way it went on last year.

Looks like they may be out. There seem to be rumblings that the will from the broadcaster is there to participate, but for obvious reasons they haven’t been able to put an entry together in time.

Confirmation later today I assume.

Looks like they may be out. There seem to be rumblings that the will from the broadcaster is there to participate, but for obvious reasons they haven’t been able to put an entry together in time.

Confirmation later today I assume.
@Iguana quick, send them your oven-ready entry! (Maybe just don't mention who it was originally intended for :eyes:)

It just occurred to me - wouldn't withdrawing at this stage leave them liable for quite a big fine? I don't know how that figures vs the cost of scenario B, but given the likelihood of scenario C I'd have thought it'd be cheaper all round to just lump Athena (or whoever) in with something someone local's whipped up (surely it can't be THAT hard to find a song ffs)

They pulled out mere WEEKS before the Baku contest so I suppose it’s not completely out of the question. I do think it’s a case of no news being good news though. If they were going to pull out due to the war SURELY they’d have announced it by now?

Last edited:
They pulled out mere WEEKS before the Baku contest so I suppose it’s not completely out of the question. I do think it’s a case of no news being good news though. If they were going to pull out due to the war SURELY they’d have announced it by now?

Are you sure? I don’t think they were ever really a serious prospect for Baku - they certainly never picked a song.

Are you sure? I don’t think they were ever really a serious prospect for Baku - they certainly never picked a song.
I wasn’t the fan I am today back then that’s for sure :D

But I’m pretty sure they planned to participate but pulled out around early March.

On looking it up I was shocked too - only pulling out early March!

But, uh, either way, I imagine they thought it was very much worth the cost in 2012 in a way it wouldn't be now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurgen_Margaryan

I wasn’t the fan I am today back then that’s for sure :D

But I’m pretty sure they planned to participate but pulled out around early March.

No, you’re wrong, it was early March.

Chains On You remains the most UNDERRATED slut bop of 2020 :disco:

The performance CLEARLY would have been the hottest mess since Emmy's Boom Boom too :(

HURT ME!

Really must get round to composing that Muriel's Wedding style ORCHESTRAL VERSION of this for weddings, bar mitzvahs and brit milahs :disco:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56194421

ATTEMPTED apparently. I really don’t think they’ll be turning up at this point :(

The article is a bit unclear - "Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has warned of an "attempted military coup"" - you usually only "warn" of something if you think it may happen in the future. I think it means he's warned that the military may attempt a coup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom