Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin + The Best Damn Thing SYNCETTE - tonight 7pm!

"My Happy Ending" is the quintessential Avril song. V Kelly Clarkson at this point but Avril basically started her career so fair game.

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending

As much as I love "Nobody's Home" it was the wrong single. She needed something softer after MHE, like "How Does it Feel" or "Fall to Pieces" or "He Wasn't". This flopped on both sides of the Atlantic!

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home

she's LOSING HER MIND!
she's FALLING BEHIND!
she can't find her PLACE!
she's LOSING HER FAITH!
she's FALLEN FROM GRACE!

god the absolute melodrama of this song :D how can you not live for it?

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home

As much as I love "Nobody's Home" it was the wrong single. She needed something softer after MHE, like "How Does it Feel" or "Fall to Pieces" or "He Wasn't". This flopped on both sides of the Atlantic!
it did OK, no? I mean not so much in the US. but I think it was the right single. she's an anthem!

it did OK, no? I mean not so much in the US. but I think it was the right single. she's an anthem!
#24 in the UK and #41 in the US was pretty awful for her at this point, no? Especially after MHE smashed. I just remember it not being played at all on radio like all her prior singles.

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home
06 Forgotten

Forgotten is good as a song, but vocally a bit of a screamfest for me.

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home
07 Forgotten

"Who Knows" is much more in the vein of the first album... but with a bit less of a tune! I don't remember this one much at all despite playing the album loads back in the day.

how do you always have an opinion? :eyes: it's easy if you try, Avril

I actually like this one quite a bit. it's not her most memorable song ever but it does move along quite boppily.

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home
07 Forgotten
08 Who Knows

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home
06 Forgotten
07 Who Knows

the album is settling into a groove in this back half. everything is good, but there's nothing super distinctive going on. Fall to Pieces does have a great middle 8 though, and most of the tracks have little moments like that which hold the attention.

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home
07 Forgotten
08 Who Knows
08 Fall to Pieces

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home
06 Forgotten
09 Fall to Pieces

what is Freak Out doing at this point in the tracklist? :D it's like a breath of fresh air though so no complaints.

not to be pedantic, but she's neither freaking out nor letting go...

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home
07 Forgotten
08 Who Knows
08 Fall to Pieces
08 Freak Out

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home
06 Forgotten
09 Fall to Pieces
08 Freak Out

OK "Slipped Away" is one of my favorites. Gut wrenching. Kind of a precursor to "Keep Holding On" sonically.

10 Take Me Away
10 Together
08 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
09 How Does it Feel
09 My Happy Ending
10 Nobody's Home
06 Forgotten
09 Fall to Pieces
08 Freak Out
10 Slipped Away

with the piano intro Slipped Away starts off very much like a debut era Evanescence track. I think this one is a bit of a fan fave. it's absolutely lovely.

08 Take Me Away
09 Together
09 Don't Tell Me
07 He Wasn't
08 How Does it Feel
11 My Happy Ending
09 Nobody's Home
07 Forgotten
08 Who Knows
08 Fall to Pieces
08 Freak Out
09 Slipped Away

8.4. a really solid album even if it lacks in absolute classics.

I Always Get What I Want is so much fun! it definitely should've made the main tracklist. loving the BRITISH PUNK VIBES and the MYSTERIOUS ACCENT.

I seem to recall everyone hated "Girlfriend" from outset and predicted the end of her career then it became her biggest hit ever :disco:

I've never heard this album outside the singles and the couple deep cuts that were included in that syncette. Here we go!

I seem to recall everyone hated "Girlfriend" from outset and predicted the end of her career then it became her biggest hit ever :disco:
I hated Girlfriend back in the day. I think I thought it was reductive or something (look it up). but quite recently I realised it's actually extremely amazing. or maybe I'm just embracing being basic!

AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE'S TALKIN' BOUT.

I really love the little way she switches up the melody on the second chorus on think ya need a new wunnnn. a vocalista.

10 Girlfriend

no it's true, it's true. it's weird to me that this is her only Hot 100 number one (so far!!!!!) but hey (hey you you).

I can't remember I Can Do Better. the lyrics are absurdly shit :D

"I Can Do Better" has a slammin' chorus, single potential?
this album feels like a very conscious attempt to come ARMED WITH THE HITS after Under My Skin. miss Avril was unwilling to flop. there were a lot of potential singles (but they chose correctly I reckon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom