Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin + The Best Damn Thing SYNCETTE - tonight 7pm!

10 Girlfriend

no it's true, it's true. it's weird to me that this is her only Hot 100 number one (so far!!!!!) but hey (hey you you).
It just came at the right time where downloads were prolific and radio was still on board. And I think the Lil Mama remix and loads of foreign versions helped it.

Sales were non-existent for the first two albums (or not counted on the Hot 100 anyway) so it was really her only shot at the #1 spot.

I'm so
SICK OF YOU
YOU'RE ON MY NERVES

I WANT TO PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!

:disco:

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better

this album feels like a very conscious attempt to come ARMED WITH THE HITS after Under My Skin. miss Avril was unwilling to flop. there were a lot of potential singles (but they chose correctly I reckon).
Yeah "I Can Do Better" was maybe a little too similar to "Girlfriend".

god this album is off to a really strong start. Runaway is fantastic. she's never sounded like she's having more FUN!

was there criticism about selling out at the time? I can't remember but it seems likely.

god this album is off to a really strong start. Runaway is fantastic. she's never sounded like she's having more FUN!

was there criticism about selling out at the time? I can't remember but it seems likely.
I think there was with "Girlfriend". Which is interesting, because it wasn't miles away from the poppier stuff she had done from the last album ("He Wasn't"). I think people just saw it as a step backward after she made a conscious effort to go darker with the Ben Moody stuff.

HEY HEY HEY
HEY HEY HO!

at least she's switching it up :eyes:

I love the title track and its BIZARRELY ABRUPT TONAL SHIFTS. she really said I want to have my cake and eat it too. kween!!!

The title track was a single right? I like it but I think "Runaway" would've been a better choice.

The title track was a single right? I like it but I think "Runaway" would've been a better choice.
yes but very low-key and it flopped everywhere. your faves could never! I agree about Runaway I think...

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone

"When You're Gone" is good, although I don't stan it quite like Ms. Jark.

Oh the days when it was played on repeat back to back with Nickelback, Gwen and Fergie. We didn't know what we had!

When You're Gone is wonderful. you can't beat I'm With You but it might be second in her balladry stakes for me.

that chorus is an absolute delight. she sounds so good on the adlibs! end me!!! :disco:

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone
06 Everything Back But You

Everything Back But You is fun but definitely FILLER

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
07 Everything Back But You

I have to say I didn't really GET "Hot" at the time (my sister loved it), but I am fond these days. The middle eight is quite lovely. And it's so much more than the (quite crap) lyrics/main hook.

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone
08 Hot

ugh. Hot. the legend. the icon. the bop.

I think it's probably one of my all-time favourite songs, it's given me so much life in the last decade-plus. just a really excellently constructed and joyous pop song.

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot

you're so fabulous, you're so good to me is a really great lyric. did it flop, or did it not want to peak too soon? makes you think.

Hot TikTok revival 2k22 incoming.

"Innocence" could have literally been on any of her albums. HA! A compliment (because it sounds so timeless) but also slight shade (growth? who needs it)

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone
08 Hot
07 Innocence

I actually think Innocence should've been the fourth single. it's really strong. and yes, it's an evergreen Avril track.

it's the happiness and sad that you're feeling
it's so beautiful it makes you want to cry
IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL IT MAKES YOU WANNA CRY!

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot
09 Innocence

I actually think Innocence should've been the fourth single. it's really strong. and yes, it's an evergreen Avril track.

it's the happiness and sad that you're feeling
it's so beautiful it makes you want to cry
IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL IT MAKES YOU WANNA CRY!

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot
09 Innocence
I think it would have set radio alight in 2008 after "When You're Gone" but maybe a ballad too far, which is why they went with "Hot". We know how that went so maybe I'd agree.

There is a Mandarin version of "Hot" ??? :D

(Yes I'm spending an afternoon on Avril's Wikipedia)

oh I love I Don't Have to Try. it's such nonsense but I'm a sucker for the songs she sings in the motherfuckin' princess ACCENT (yes, it's a thing).

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot
09 Innocence
08 I Don't Have to Try

this is the best album of her career up until that point. it really flies by.

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone
08 Hot
07 Innocence
05 I Don't Have to Try

Smile GIF by Katy Perry

oh I love I Don't Have to Try. it's such nonsense but I'm a sucker for the songs she sings in the motherfuckin' princess ACCENT (yes, it's a thing).

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot
09 Innocence
08 I Don't Have to Try

this is the best album of her career up until that point. it really flies by.
I almost unliked after that last sentence! Although I am generally enjoying this album thus far.

08 Girlfriend
09 I Can Do Better
10 Runaway
07 The Best Damn Thing
08 When You're Gone
08 Hot
07 Innocence
05 I Don't Have to Try
07 One of Those Girls

One of Those Girls is perhaps a mindless banger too far.

blame/insane.

10 Girlfriend
08 I Can Do Better
09 Runaway
08 The Best Damn Thing
10 When You're Gone
11 Hot
09 Innocence
08 I Don't Have to Try
07 One of Those Girls

Users who are viewing this thread