Big Brother: Best Shows Ever

So is Caggie dead, or just left the house too soon? She's the one with the furrows between her brows like the lines people have on their hands, no?

I do hope so. It was the only thing I didn't like about Big Brother (which remains in my top 5 shows of all time). In the first season, even the disliked people got a nice response from the crowd but around Season 5 it became just a weekly occurrence to hear booing and it was so unnecessary.

As much as anything, apart from the mental health aspect, I felt it ruined the entire SPIRIT of the show. The housemates weren't supposed to know anything about what the public thought of them except for the results of eviction votes.
I've always wondered what Big Brother would've been like if BB4 had been a little bit more exciting - the direction they took for BB5 (from the casting to the 'Big Brother turns EVIL' marketing) seemed to be a direct reaction to BB4 being too boring, and just about every subsequent series followed the BB5 template with plenty of outrageous characters and drama, the booing became a bigger thing, etc. I think it always would've become the show it ended up as, but I reckon it might have taken a more gradual road to get there.

I've always wondered what Big Brother would've been like if BB4 had been a little bit more exciting - the direction they took for BB5 (from the casting to the 'Big Brother turns EVIL' marketing) seemed to be a direct reaction to BB4 being too boring, and just about every subsequent series followed the BB5 template with plenty of outrageous characters and drama, the booing became a bigger thing, etc. I think it always would've become the show it ended up as, but I reckon it might have taken a more gradual road to get there.

Very interesting point. I think you're right, Season 4 inadvertently shaped things more than any other season.

I felt it ruined the entire SPIRIT of the show. The housemates weren't supposed to know anything about what the public thought of them except for the results of eviction votes.

It definitely changed the course of action for a few contestants I think too - remember Maxwell and Saskia getting those almighty cheers in the early weeks that then led them to form a supposed power couple. In CBB it told Ryan (and the house) that Roxanne had been lying too, so we never go to see what might have naturally played out (I'm not saying in this case that was a good thing though, I'm glad he got the vindication he needed, but it did change things and made her leave)

Pete Burns (RIP) was an ICON on CBB. I loved his rant about Jodie Marsh being an imbecile and describing her book as PHAMPLET :D

Reactions: COB
I actually think BB is best left in the history books now. The world has moved on. It’s very much a product of its time and there is no way they would be able to get away with most of the things they used to these days. Not sure I can be bothered with full episodes of the shows, but I would have been down for one of those 3 hour best bits documentaries they usually do.

I don’t think that is technically true. The series only ended at the end of 2018. Surely the World hasn’t moved on all that much in that time? We have plenty of other reality shows still airing that get away with as much, if not worse....

I actually think BB is best left in the history books now. The world has moved on. It’s very much a product of its time and there is no way they would be able to get away with most of the things they used to these days. Not sure I can be bothered with full episodes of the shows, but I would have been down for one of those 3 hour best bits documentaries they usually do.

Where have you got this idea from? It's still massive in the states and Canada and Australia have just brought it back this year.

It definitely changed the course of action for a few contestants I think too - remember Maxwell and Saskia getting those almighty cheers in the early weeks that then led them to form a supposed power couple. In CBB it told Ryan (and the house) that Roxanne had been lying too, so we never go to see what might have naturally played out (I'm not saying in this case that was a good thing though, I'm glad he got the vindication he needed, but it did change things and made her leave)

In the case of Maxwell and Saskia I'd love to have seen that play out naturally without them hearing stuff.

With Ryan and Roxanne, I think it was right to expose it. I think any time it could seriously effect the people on the way out - (I mean she was literally making a criminal accusation against him) - is when production and the public need to step in early.

It still amazes me that they didn't step in a bit earlier with Shilpa and Jade, but I guess that was longer ago.

Where have you got this idea from? It's still massive in the states and Canada and Australia have just brought it back this year.
Netherlands will have its first BB series since about 2006 soon too

I think the past Big Brothers have garnered interest in being rewatched because they represent a certain time in the zeitgeist. But that’s also why I think it could work if brought back - it will always be a reflection of that particular point in time. The last civilian series in 2018 was definitely more ‘woke’ than any other, and all the more enjoyable for it.

I think the past Big Brothers have garnered interest in being rewatched because they represent a certain time in the zeitgeist. But that’s also why I think it could work if brought back - it will always be a reflection of that particular point in time. The last civilian series in 2018 was definitely more ‘woke’ than any other, and all the more enjoyable for it.

I was literally about to post this. The beauty of Big Brother is that even though it's not a fully perfect reflection of society, it does give something of a snapshot - the early Big Brothers will be fascinating to watch back in 40 or 50 years time as historical evidence in a way of what society was. So it will adapt as time goes on and could always be brought back.

It's an innately flexible show as well. There's absolutely no reason for it not to move with the world.

I don’t think that is technically true. The series only ended at the end of 2018. Surely the World hasn’t moved on all that much in that time? We have plenty of other reality shows still airing that get away with as much, if not worse....
I think I know where @Kalabaliken is going. The last few series, an edited daily programme with no live feed was more anything else than the real BB, that died with the live feed. The level of manipulation by BB was confirmed by several housemates, which makes sense, because it's a tv show after all, but it felt more like a soap opera than the good old BB.

The interesting bit is that the new series of BB Australia, which is a(nother) relaunch/reboot, has gone even further in the heavily edited direction as it's apparently prerecorded and now works more like Survivor than Big Brother. If they're thinking about relaunching it here, I hope that's not the model they use...

The interesting bit is that the new series of BB Australia, which is a(nother) relaunch/reboot, has gone even further in the heavily edited direction as it's apparently prerecorded and now works more like Survivor than Big Brother. If they're thinking about relaunching it here, I hope that's not the model they use...
That's not much different than the edited UK version except for the live evictions, is it?

Oh, the live shows in Canada BB aren't live either :D

Yeah, they filmed the entire series before airing - seems like a load of rubbish to me, tbh!

They're just using the US format I believe.

Oh you mean the whole series prerecorded??? That's insane, but if they go with the US format they don't really need live shows. However, no live feeds obviously, how boring. Terrible.

I think I know where @Kalabaliken is going. The last few series, an edited daily programme with no live feed was more anything else than the real BB, that died with the live feed. The level of manipulation by BB was confirmed by several housemates, which makes sense, because it's a tv show after all, but it felt more like a soap opera than the good old BB.

If that is what he meant it didn’t read like that. Big Brother was running here until the end of 2018, and that was probably the best series in YEARS. I only ever watched the live feed when I was up feeding my children at stupid o’clock as nothing else was on at that time. It used to annoy me how it constantly cut to bird noises when they started talking about anything interesting.

Reactions: GNL
Funnily enough the last BB and CBB were both fantastic for very different reasons.

On the subject of a Big Brother revival I must say it was definitely the correct time to take it off air as even though I was still watching it almost became “uncool” to watch. Like most things in this country people love to see things take off then ultimately love to see them die a death too.

If it DOES come back, I do hope it’s on Channel 4. C5 didn’t even give it a send off with the last ever episode tucked away at 10pm on a Monday evening.

Reactions: dUb
Who could forget when they essentially found Nikki SR and did everything in their power to keep her in the house against all odds.

“Why do I want to leave?! Because I’m BORED SHITLESS”

:disco:

OMG I didn't remember the VERY LOUD Get Wolfy out :D Her face screaming I want to die :D

I forgot all about this series! That clip of orange gay Dan reminded me that he would go on to become Mrs Rylan Clark.

What I mean is that making people suffer like that for entertainment is just not seen as the done thing anymore. The kind of nutcases they cast and the situations they put them in, working people up to a frenzy just would not fly these days. Imagine if Fight Night happened now. The show would have ended mid series and that would have been it. By the time BB ended it was barely scraping a million viewers, if that. It is just not viable anymore. It certainly became VERY uncool to watch, that happened probably around BB7, BB8 I think. I can remember it going from a must see to something people derided rather quickly.

The Channel 5 series were definitely mostly watched by the hardcore fans, there was too much meddling and it lost all of its charm, they started to fill the house with unlikeable characters, mostly desperate for fame, all carbon copies of each other and there wasn't the same mish mash of characters and ages they had in past series.

I do not think the US format would work here. British people are just not that cunning like they are in the US and we tend, more or less, to support the nice characters, and you cannot survive in the US format without being sly and ruthless.

I think Moopy, with the nature that this forum is, is a massive anomaly of the views of the general public. They just don't care about it anymore and it's performance became embarassing. It sort of had the same trajectory of X Factor really, and I think it was put out of its misery a few series too late.

I am all for reminiscing about the show, but I think it is just best left in the past, where it belongs. The young people all watch Love Island, which I think is even worse, but that is just the cool show for now. Something else will come along in the future. But it won't be Big Brother.

Falling down a BB rabbit hole now, WHY isn’t there a good Brian & Narinder compilation?

I just found out that BB17 had someone from my school (Andy), he’d moved to London last I’d heard. He was our Head Boy :disco:

I knew Ife from Season 11 went to my primary school too

Of course I disagree with everything Kala said in the above post. Big Brother is still running successfully in many other countries around the World, and we still have Love Island here and that will continue to run and run until it is “uncool” to watch that. I think Big Brother taking a break was a good idea as the public interest had waned, but by bringing it back further down the line it can definitely run successfully on nostalgia (see Spice Girls).

The whole making people suffer for entertainment is a joke. These people go through rigorous mental assessments and after 19(?) series they know exactly what they are getting themselves in to.

Also, what nice character is remembered as a Big Brother great? The public LOVE to watch argumentative, narcissistic pigs.

Quite, just look at everyone's Moopy faves!

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom