Billie Eilish - No Time To Die (James Bond theme)

Also before any accusations of TRADITIONALISM, I do like it when they take a risk and get someone a bit LEFTFIELD like Chris Cornell. You Know My Name is one of the best Bond themes ever, because as am rightly points out it fits with the new direction of the film to a TEE whilst keeping the elements that make a Bond song tick.

Time for a music related joke.

Q - What do you call a woman with three cunts?

A - Garbage.

Leaving Sheena Easton's For your eyes only out of top 10s is wrong, people. Also not enough love for Goldfinger.

I;m not sure if it was a joke or not but there have been suggestions that The Wedding Present are covering every Bond theme for a release of some sort later this year. Even for me, that's niche.

i love quite a few of the classics. from the new ones i was surprised by how much i like skyfall.

This is out now. It's not the car crash I was expecting although her mumbly, breathy voice is an acquired taste and I don't think it fits the vibe at all, but the melody is nice and the orchestration does most of the Bond lifting.

Here it is

If it wasn’t for the Bond flourishes in the production, I don’t think it would have much else to recommend it. The melody seems a bit slight for a Bond theme.

The old queen in me would like a little more drama (it sounds more incidental music than main theme, on first listen, at least), but I think that's rather grand.

Oh this totally works as a Bond song.

It’s giving me Tomorrow Never Dies vibes.

I agree I would've liked it better with some VOX, but I totally get that that isn't her thing and by all other accounts it's great. Easily the best Bond Theme of the Craig era for me (though it's not exactly a competitive field...)

I love it, but I also love Skyfall and especially You Know My Name. Was there a Bond song for Quantum of Solace?

I love it, but I also love Skyfall and especially You Know My Name. Was there a Bond song for Quantum of Solace?

there was, I had to look up that it was ... oh now it’s gone again. Jack White & Alicia Keys but I forgot the title. Something something die, probably

I really like this, and I think it will grow. I haven’t watched a bond film for years, but I think it sounds perfect and does what it says on the tin.

On second listen, I really like the melody, it's very understated. It lacks a final BANG though. She goes from 0 to a 7 or 8 but doesn't reach 10 and you NEED to reach 10 with a Bond song on your last chorus.

That's lovely. Went straight back on for a second listen and then a third. The 4 minutes pass like 2. I don't think the punters will love the slow build but the "fool me once, fool me twice" hook will get right into heads.

I'd rather hear the song done in her style i.e. minus orchestra and plus electronic burbles but maybe we will.

her style

a lot of her older stuff was a lot more similar to this than the last album. take idonwannabeyouanymore or lovely. i like this precisely because it's more in that vein and less to do with the more right here right now production she chose for the album (which i think will age terribly).

Can I just take a moment to applaud the tag "billie eilish actually 5 raccoons in an overcoat" which really made me chuckle.

I'd love think someone at her label is currently going "FUCK YOU EGYPT".

On first listen I find it a bit empty. At this stage she's screaming one trick pony.

Also I think she came off as a bit of BELL END at The Oscar's.

On first listen I like it. I tend to appreciate her more understated stuff and she does ramp it up a bit in Bond fashion towards the end.

Not as good as her song for the Roma 'soundtrack' though.

On first listen I find it a bit empty. At this stage she's screaming one trick pony.

2, surely - at minimum, there's Bad Guy/Bury a Friend mode and Ocean Eyes/I Love You/this mode.

Hmm I like the production and she sounds great, but the song really is just Bond 101 isn’t it... I was hoping for something a little more outside the box from her.

Boring.

I like her vocal but that's about it. Generic Bond production - zzzz. And the melody really reminds me of the Sam Smith one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom