Blondie - new album, UK tour, box set

#selfemployedpovertycrisis2022 has never hurt me so much than ignoring that this is being released.

• Care
Reactions: GNL
The demos with one of the Sleeperblokes on vox instead of Debbie :D

I think I read it is Mike Chapman singing on that demo of Telephone, very random. They went all in on the obscurities. I really don't think it is the kind of collection that suits being on vinyl, after that initial play you won't want to be going all the way through too often.

I've got no intention of buying it, but I was disappointed to see that HMV in Oxford yesterday wasn't stocking ANY of various formats.

Mind you, music appears to be very much an afterthought there. The 'new releases' rack at the front of the store had Harry’s House, the single CD and vinyl of Finally Enough Love, and both the single and the double Celebration.

Obviously not as important as keeping those shitty cuddly toys and sweets well stocked.

Fopp had all the formats and clearly displayed (apart from the megabox which was behind the counter because Glasgow). The outtakes collection was quite enticing but is too deep a dive for me. If the CD edition had been cut down packaging/price-wise, it could have been the very thing but not that big ol' £90 beast.

This was a bit of a chore to get through (do we really need Mike Chapman singing over "Hanging on the Telephone"?) but overall nice to have as a curio.

Number 25 in the UK charts. I'd be interested to know how much they sold of each configuration.

There's a piece in Mojo this month mainly about the period covered by the boxset, but it does say that the new album is IN THE CAN so hopefully that means it actually will be released early next year.

Also Mr Sightseer has definitely held up as the number one keeper from the new stuff on the boxset.

I finally went for the vinyl box set as it was just over £200 on their website and I figure I can recoup £50 by selling my existing vinyl albums.

It’s fucking beautiful. Entirely worth the money for the packaging and books alone. I’m having a chronological run through the content today, interspersing the bonus material at the right point.

Utterly glorious. And how it should be done.

The CD version is also stunning and from the videos I have seen the vinyl even more so (and there is the extra discography book).

The CD version is also stunning and from the videos I have seen the vinyl even more so (and there is the extra discography book).

The discography book is gorgeous. I’ve only had a quick flick and I can’t imagine I’ll go back to it over and over but it’s really a labour of love.

I held off for so long getting this as “new business/ no job/ frivolous purchase etc.” but I was beaming from ear to ear as I undid it today- even the anti- vinyl Mr Sheena commented how happy I looked!

Enjoying the main book with a glass of whisky, Eat to the Beat currently spinning and all the Christmas lights on. What a treat!

Oh except one slight issue- the branded postage box came with a massive hole in Debbie’s head! I can’t decide whether I should moan about it or not- it’s only the postage box on one hand, but it’ll annoy me forever…

The Coachella set from April totally passed me by. Debbie looked/did phenomenal. The rap in "Rapture" in particular. :disco:

Set list fm says she performed "Backfired" but I can't find anywhere on YouTube :(

Is anyone seeing their UK tour?

Panic of Girls next please! Such a prolific band should not have such a patchy online presence.

Agreed- I had no idea none of this was on there, but that's all INSANE!

Even if the dreadful The Curse of Blondie is their NADIR, despite that lead single being amongst their VERY BEST :disco:

Actually, putting it on right now, the stand outs remain, but it's a fine album. They can't exactly forage much new ground since arguably they made pop a kaleidoscopic genre more than most, but Background Melody is gorgeous and the Tingler soon rises up. Maybe 4 songs too long though. Going to make a Blondie playlist now.

I don't think I'm cutting anything anymore. Desire Brings Me Back eventually emerges from the wreckage and is the one that I feel needs more work as I like the title hook. Quite a few cuts could have been closers, but they found the right one with a languid Debbie singing on a torch bender behind clouds of smoke in some after hours basement bar - divine. The bar is probably empty as it ends, she drops her cigarette holder to the floor and vanishes - Dreaming plays and it's a new day full of hustle and bustle.

Oooh that sounds like a RIGHT GOOD NIGHT IN, except I'm going out for once.

BOOOOOOOO!

Fucking finally.

No Exit is a good little album. The singles, "Night Wind Sent", "Forgive and Forget", "Under the Gun", and others are marvelous.

I am going to give The Curse another chance; I really only use "Undone" and "End to End".

I submitted requests to Pop Activism for those albums (and pestered Chris Stein on insta regularly) so you’re WELCOME :disco:

But yes, Panic of Girls next PLEASE.

They've been all over the place in terms of record companies since their reunion.

I watched the Britain documentary last night. Debbie looked quite fabulous in her interview with Chris. Interesting to see Clem with Frank (who rolled his eyes dramatically at Clem professing his excitement at meeting Manuel from Fawlty Towers).

Playing out with Long Time just confirmed what a modern Blondie classic that song is. Fingers crossed for more like it, whenever the promised new album arrives.

Pollinator was really strong so more of that. I know they said originally they were keeping the writing more in-house this time, but that was fucking years ago so will be interesting to see if that is still the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom