Conviction - Denise Mina
Cleanness - Garth Greenwell
Royal Assassin - Robin Hobb
My Year of Rest & Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh
Nine Perfect Strangers - Liane Morriarty

And currently reading Assassin’s Quest.

in the year 2020.

Which is the year 2020.
You could read the thread. I'm sure the difference isn't hard to spot.

OR you could just stick me on ignore. It might save you time making tiresome tags.

You could read the thread. I'm sure the difference isn't hard to spot.

OR you could just stick me on ignore. It might save you time making tiresome tags.
I have loads of time to make tags :)

So do you it seems :D

According to my Goodreads...

I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
The Empty Family: Stories - Colm Tóibín
Being Various: New Irish Short Stories - Edited by Lucy Caldwell
Cleanness - Garth Greenwell
Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín
Labels - Louis de Bernières
The South - Colm Tóibín
Aria - Nazanine Hozar
Mysteries of the Home - Paula Meehan
The Girls of Slender Means - Muriel Spark
You Will Be Safe Here - Damian Barr
An Honest Man - Ben Fergusson
Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin
Swimming in the Dark - Tomasz Jedrowski
Lie With Me - Philippe Besson (Molly Ringwald)
Alone in Berlin - Hans Fallada (Michael Hofman)
Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë
In the Shadow of the Banyan - Vaddey Ratner

Currently reading:
The Rest Just Follows - Glenn Patterson

Just change the title if you're bothered.

God forbid we have more than one thread about books.

I'll clear some space on the mantlepiece.

I probably should have waited for some responses before merging them, but they're the same thread basically so it makes more sense to have one big conversation.
Well no, they aren't.

It's a thread to log your books in a list. I don't understand why it's hard to understand.

To be fair, we generally use those other threads to log our reads too. But we haven't seem to have done that in 2020
That's fair. And if people prefer to do that it's fine, I didn't realise.

It's just annoying when people who never use the thread to begin with are dictating what goes where and derailing it.

That's fair. And if people prefer to do that it's fine, I didn't realise.

It's just annoying when people who never use the thread to begin with are dictating what goes where and derailing it.
I'm aware of the Books topic. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean I'm unaware of the basic premise. It's been going for years.

I'm aware of the Books topic. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean I'm unaware of the basic premise. It's been going for years.
Yes, but you don't use it but still choose to come in solely to make dickish tags and unrelated post after post as though I've personally offended you.

Why do you care if you don't post in it?

Yes, but you don't use it but still choose to come in solely to make dickish tags and unrelated post after post as though I've personally offended you.

Why do you care if you don't post in it?
I didn't make all those tags. I admit I'm overzealousness when it comes to duplicate topics, but I just give a shit of this place. I also admit I don't understand half the endless topics you post.

I didn't make all those tags. I admit I'm overzealousness when it comes to duplicate topics, but I just give a shit of this place. I also admit I don't understand half the endless topics you post.
Ok! It's just a bit tiring to see the same tags in every topic just because I like to post about running and books and countries. It's not bragging or privilege if I want to talk about my interests.

And I have a lot of time on my hands at the minute so it's nice having people to discuss them with so yes, I'm making a lot of threads.

Again, if the people who use the reading thread think we don't need the topic and prefer if I post my list in the other one then I'm happy to.

i finished giovanni's room last night. i read it in a couple of sittings, didn't want to finish it too fast but went through the whole last third last night.

i really enjoyed baldwin's style. he certainly has a way with words, there were a lot of interesting constructs and figures of speech, it was very nice to take it all in slowly.

some thoughts:

- for some reason the name giovanni really bugs me. it must be some association i can't put my finger on.
- i could relate to the story strongly. james reminded me of my ex who actually texted me 15 pages in after a few months of silence. things james said to giovanni i have heard from him verbatim. i think it answered some of my questions about him.
- i guess that made me giovanni and to some extent i identified with him. working in a bar, conflicted, intense, desperate for james' love. maybe that's why his weakness and living conditions made me resent him a little. could he not have found any other job? i don't think that was explored enough. work in that bar or suck old dick for cash. i don't like it when characters seem to be presented with such binary choices.
- story was great altogether, but i would have liked to know what happened to james. i enjoyed that it was so short but i'm always curious about the future of characters like him.
- i was surprised there was a criminal element but it worked.
- a lot of great dialogue, i've earmaked about 5-6 pages.
- for some reason it has put me in the mood for some jean genet whom i haven't touched since 1999...

all in all, 10/10.

"Loosing my Espanish" :D

sorry, I just couldn't stop reading it to the tune of the R.E.M. song...

"Supermarket" by Bobby Hall. Apparently he's also a musical artist called "Logic".

It's like Stephen King for kids. 2.5/5

I just finished Virginia Woolf’s To the Lighthouse. I nearly died in the process. Lovely story, but my mind kept wandering away, the writing style is really rather unpleasant.

I've had challenges with her style too. read some sultry Duras instead :disco: in The Sea Wall she's basically a reverse Lolita

That’s the last two books I’ve read. What a difference between them.

Next up: Lord of the Flies

I’m reading “Dune” and was dreading it because it seemed like my worst nightmare but I’m actually enjoying it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom