Books you've read in 2020

Didn’t find Carol in store but bought these instead. Can’t wait to read them (God help me get through the 900+ pages of Anna Karenina, I hope it’s good).

The only Highsmith book they had in store (in English) was The Talented Mr Ripley. I really hate what online bookstores have done to proper stores.

I read The Kite Runner at last after reading the other two novels a while back and it is AMAZING.

Also, I haven't started Lolita yet but will strive to in June and comment in the thread.

2 chapters in on Price of Salt/Carol so far and enjoying it. I like her writing style. Tells you exactly what's going on, not airy at all. Like a good solid Doc Martin.

The characters are instantly interesting and I'm not trying to remember who's who all the time.

I was going to ask/start it but didn't want to tread on any toes.

I know right! these book club queens are the worst!! :eyes:

I have something else on the shelf (a local release) for June so Carol's crème cornucopia will have to be a future delight for me

Yes, seconded. It’s not very nice when the more sophisticated topics such as these are plonked next to ones with loungers bleating on about their favourite CRISPS and wanting to be done up the bum by cartoons of potatoes with hats on. Who ARE these people? :shock:

This is a YA novel but it sounds so lovely (and the cover is so lovely) I’m just going to have to get it

91sYS+BvGOL.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/AqiwfoI

Thank God for Amazon! :disco:

Reading Giovanni’s Room made me aware of another essential collection that I needed to get Penguin Great Loves, but turns out its an old collection and only Giovanni’s Room is available nowadays. But thanks to Amazon I found a ”used” package even though it looks like the books are brand new.

Not only is it a beautiful series, but they’re all fairly short novels so it’ll get me closer to my 50 books a year target.

Good luck with Gabriel Garcia Marquez. You'll need it. :bad:

On the back of this, I decided to investigate further and purchased a copy of One Hundred Years of Solitude. Very much looking forward to reading it now!

All right, who's read Little Fires Everywhere? Looking at you, @Suedey - I finally found it for about $15 so I picked it up. Sorry but when they make a TV series and jack the price of the novel up to $30 or something my inner latchkey kid refuses to pay it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom