Bulgaria 2016: Poli Genova - If Love Was a Crime

Pingu

Noot noot
43 down, 0 to go.

Bulgaria:

Last edited by a moderator:
DAJ MI LJUBOVTA :disco:

What I love about this is that it's so effortless in being contemporary and it doesn't feel forced like a bunch of other songs.

If they don't qualify with this they may as well not bother.

Love that. Easily my favourite Bulgarian entry ever.

Oh that's very good indeed. :o

I'm a bit concerned about how they're planning on recreating those looped vocal samples live, and it doesn't really take advantage of what a powerful singer Poli is, but really catchy and well produced. Very clever use of Bulgarian in the hook without making the song alienating too. Probably one of the least-clunky bilingual entries I've ever heard.

Surely a qualifier?

One of the most memorable I've heard so far. Good!

So far I like Austria, Russia, Iceland and maybe France.

I think Bulgaria is now my number 1. It actually reminds me more of an Interval Act song than a actual competing entry. Which is a good thing.

Obviously amazing, it sounds like it could be a current chart hit (which as I understand it with this forum, is okay sometimes and not okay other times :D )

Obviously amazing, it sounds like it could be a current chart hit (which as I understand it with this forum, is okay sometimes and not okay other times :D )

It has that twist of identity though. I don't have any issue with something sounding like it could chart if it isn't just a craven off-the-shelf thing that could easily just come from NEASDEN. If it's obviously brilliant or at least keeps a degree of cultural identity I'm all for it sounding like it could chart.

Last edited:
oh that's actually a pretty decent song despite the godawful video. very catchy and the production is current without being annoyingly so.

what the hell is she singing in the chorus though?

it's rather exciting to have a strong entry after all these years.

oh that's actually a pretty decent song despite the godawful video. very catchy and the production is current without being annoyingly so.

what the hell is she singing in the chorus though?

If love was a crime then we would be criminals
Locked up for life but I'll do the time
If love was a crime then we would work miracles
High above the ground

О, дай ми любовта (3)
They will never break us down
О, дай ми любовта! (3)
They will never break us down

i'd have never guessed the bulgarian part, it sounds completely foreign to me.

minor qualm though, i've listened to this hot naughty boy song a couple more times and it's got a proper fighting chance for the final and a good placing with a proper performance. yay!

am, what was the last Bulgarian entry you actively liked.

In fact just rank them if you remember them all.

08 voda
07 illusion (for the car crash value)
06 let me cry (the song, perf was shit)
06 angel si ti
06 na inat
04 dj please take me away
01 lorraine
01 samo shampioni

i might be missing something... anyway, voda was great even if on the novelty side but i'd happily never hear it again and they tainted its legacy with the cheap knock off.

this is probably our best entry so far.

oh dear, i hope one of my best friends who dressed poor sofu in that monstrosity doesn't hear about this):

05 love unlimited

it means "give me the love".

ps i have also been to miro's apartment (i was mates with his ex) and am friendly with mariana popova. i'm your bulgarian version, babe *.*

To break it down.

OK - when it sounds like a good current chart hit

Not OK - when it sounds like a bad current chart hit for awful basic straight people. Or Molly Pettersson Hammar.

03 Lorraine (+2 for "I can still remember Lorraine in the rain" which is in my all time top 5 hilarious Eurovision lyrics)
06 Let Me Cry
10 Voda
08 DJ Take Me Away (Appallingly sung but I genuinely liked Bulgaria's little European Club Kid phase. It was an interesting angle)
NA Illusion (Transcends any kind of number based rating system)
06 Angel Si Ti (I fully hope and expect that Miro is now either 22 stone or dead)
07 Na Inat (Deserved to qualify, but she was better than the song)
10 Love Unlimited
08 Samo Shampioni (I know it was a reductive rerun but I'm just a sucker for a bit of ETHNIC WAILING)

Last edited:
03 Lorraine
06 Let Me Cry
05 Voda
06 DJ Take Me Away
04 Illusion
07 Angel Si Ti
05 Na Inat
06 Love Unlimited
01 Samo Shampioni

'DJ Take Me Away' is the only one I feel like I actively got behind / mourned for until now.

I'm a bit concerned about how they're planning on recreating those looped vocal samples live

By the sound of it, the vocal sample bits are on top of a flute riff, so if they aren't allowed to use them, I think the flute should work well enough by itself.

I can't get enough of this at the moment. It's got that perfect blend of SULTRY GEM with just a hint of melancholia. I so hope they don't screw up the staging.

DAY MI LYUBOVTA

Last edited:
i'm with you, vori. it's been the only thing of any comfort on this awful day. i haven't heard any of the other entries (except dated old russia and poor dreadful sweden) but i'm hoping for a top 10 placing at the least.

i hope whoever was in charge of the video is not in charge of the staging and performance.

btw the video is also promo for the new season of our most popular shitty tv show for some reason. the guy in it is the main character.

I am completely ADDICTED to this song. It's just SO GOOD. The intro, the verses, the pre-chorus, the 'They will never break us down' part and then the chorus. I am just hoping for qualification and anything else after that is a bonus. Who would have thought that Bulgaria would have pulled it out of the bag at the last moment with such a TUNE. :disco:

What's the response been in Bulgaria, am?

it's apparently by a bulgarian, a swede (who co-wrote something for conchita i believe?) and an austrian (i think).

the flute (of the loom) is by "national treasure" teodosii spasov.

the response (from what i have seen on social media) has been completely positive.

oh, i me loofah, i me loooo-fah.

Borislav Milanov, Sebastian Arman, Joacim Bo Persson and Poli herself.

oh yes, i'm sure she added the dot on one i or another.

:i's:

I'm definitely in favour of this. It deserves a much less boring music video, this should be hair-flicked and strutted the house down to.

This is surely the best song in the whole competition?! :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom